Greece Adventure

JLoane

Jen L.
My husband and I will be leaving for our Adventure to Greece next week, and I appreciate all the tips and advice posted by travelers who have done this trip previously. We’ve done 2 other ABD trips with our family (China and Scotland) but this will be our first adult only trip.

We are looking to book a trip to Sounion, Temple of Poseidon, on our pre-day and I’ve looked at a couple different options. I know others have also done this trip on a pre-day but am wondering if anyone can recommend the company they used?

Any other recommendations for souvenirs that you love or anything else you wish you’d known?

Thanks very much!

When I went to Cape Sounion before my Greece ABD in 2013, we used Private Greece Tours and their website is www.privategreecetours.com

I did not book the tour, @NoraG did. But she was able to customize the tour as a Sunset tour, and he was a great Guide. He didn't join us at the Temple of Poseidon, but we'd gotten there a bit late, and really barely made it in for the Sunset (turns out they lock the gates several minutes before sunset!)

If you look at my Greek Odyssey trip report (link in my signature) you can read about our tour.

The one thing I wish I'd known was that the last resort, Porto Elunda (https://www.portoelounda.com/en/home) is AMAZING, and really deserves at least one post-day to really enjoy it's amenities!

My favorite souvenir is still the kombolói ("worry beads") that we made in the village of Arolithos on Crete. And you don't have to go shopping or do anything extra outside the ABD to get it!

The best shopping for me was Oia on Santorini (which it looks like they don't go to anymore? :( ) and the fishing village of Plaka on Crete (after Spinalonga).

Sayhello

The one thing I wish I'd known was that the last resort, Porto Elunda (https://www.portoelounda.com/en/home) is AMAZING, and really deserves at least one post-day to really enjoy it's amenities!

The best shopping for me was Oia on Santorini (which it looks like they don't go to anymore? :( ) and the fishing village of Plaka on Crete (after Spinalonga).
I still see Oia on Day 6 before leaving for Crete (both 2019 and 2020). And now I need to look into a post-day 🙂

They still do Oia and you'll have shopping time. When we went it was miserably crowded with cruise ship folks but if you love to shop it definitely has a lot of options. Our favorite shopping was in Crete, and you'll have plenty of time. Tons of items - jewelry, pottery, scarves, etc. made right there on Crete. Read The Island before you go!

I still see Oia on Day 6 before leaving for Crete (both 2019 and 2020). And now I need to look into a post-day 🙂
They still do Oia and you'll have shopping time. When we went it was miserably crowded with cruise ship folks but if you love to shop it definitely has a lot of options. Our favorite shopping was in Crete, and you'll have plenty of time. Tons of items - jewelry, pottery, scarves, etc. made right there on Crete. Read The Island before you go!
Ah! My bad, I missed that. It used to be on the same day as the volcano hike and pirate ship. I thought I looked at all the days, but somehow I missed that one. Thanks!

And I agree, reading "The Island" before you go to Spinalonga & Crete is a really great thing!

Sayhello

oops, I guess I'm late on the reply. Pretty sure the Adventures by Disney goes to Sounion now and the Temple of Poseidon...unless that starts in 2020. It is now part of the itinerary instead of Delphi. We are doing the adventures by Greece in May (8) 2020 and are looking at day trips to Delphi, Epidaurus, and/or Meteora

oops, I guess I'm late on the reply. Pretty sure the Adventures by Disney goes to Sounion now and the Temple of Poseidon...unless that starts in 2020. It is now part of the itinerary instead of Delphi. We are doing the adventures by Greece in May (8) 2020 and are looking at day trips to Delphi, Epidaurus, and/or Meteora
Yes, I believe that change is new for 2020.

Sayhello

I'm a little late to the party, but just wanted to add that we used Private Greece Tours not only for a tour to Sounion, but also a day tour of Athens and a 3-night tour to Corinth, Epidaurus, Napflio, Olympia and Delphi (we did Greece on our own, not with ABD). I can't recommend Private Greece Tours highly enough. The owner, Nikos, knows Greece inside and out and his drivers and tour guides are absolutely amazing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!