Grieving the Great Movie Ride

joelkfla

DIS Veteran
I'm longing to ride the Great Movie Ride.

Maybe it's partly because the wound is fresh, but I miss it more than any other deleted attraction. Such a classic!

I'm longing to ride the Great Movie Ride.

Maybe it's partly because the wound is fresh, but I miss it more than any other deleted attraction. Such a classic!
I liked it, too. I wish they'd use their extra land to build a 5th park to put all of the new rides in, rather than tearing down old rides to make way for new ones, and using all available lands to build more resorts. Or at least only replace the really bad attractions. Why couldn't the new coaster they're planning there have replaced Ellen's Energy Adventure, or something?

It closing was the nail in the coffin of that park for me. Yes, I like ToT and Muppet Vision, but I am not wasting a park ticket (or the time spent hopping) for 2 things I like. I wasn't fond of doing it for only 3, but generally when I ended up there I was with family who wanted to do other things, so I'd wander while they rode other things. With only 2, I will happily go to a different park and meet up with them later or at night.

It was always a meh ride for us. We're in our 60s and I personally loved the movies depicted. Not crazy about what their replacing it with - just another coaster (while they're building yet another coaster in Toy Story Land in the same park), but it is what it is. Now if they would have replaced it with a full-size replica of Rick's bar from Casablanca, along with the gambling parlor in the back room, I'd be there.

The only new attractions I'm excited about will probably be in Star Wars Land, but I think I'm most looking forward to the Ratatouille ride being planned for EPCOT by France. (Gee, is there enough room in Morocco at EPCOT for a Rick's to be built?)

Last edited:
Yes it needed some updated scenes ........... but it was a classic and was the anchor of the park. I think it would hurt less if we were getting a really cool ride ............. but demented Mickey? So disappointing.

I miss it too. If there was ever a ride that truly represented the name "Hollywood Studios," that would be it.

Yep, we miss it too, it was always a must do for us. I agree with @HopperFan it might not have been so bad if they had replaced it with something other than what they are doing.

I have fond memories of this ride and was looking forward to showing it to my son. I'm sad that I'll never get to ride it again.

We certainly missed TGMR last week and the week before.

We only hit DHS twice during EMH to ride RNRC a few times then we walked to EPCOT for F&W. Between Starring Rolls and TGMR gone now we find very little to do at the Studios.

I will say we did not at all care for the updated narrated version of TGMR and honestly feel that it would have been much harder to accept the attraction was gone if the last few times we were on it were not narrated by Robert Osborne.

Hopefully Star Wars and Toy Story will add much needed life to that park.

But Star Wars and Toy Story - what an incredibly odd combination. I hope that park finds its identity soon as well.

It was my favorite ride at Hollywood. Could you have used an updating yes but it was still a classic. Sadly I think it was an accounting thing. They paid for using some of those scenes and I can just see some accountant saying close it and replace it with something we already own. My own personal form of protest I won't be riding what replaces it. Won't bother anyone else I know but its my own statement.

Yes it needed some updated scenes ........... but it was a classic and was the anchor of the park. I think it would hurt less if we were getting a really cool ride ............. but demented Mickey? So disappointing.

Couldn't agree more with your description of the heinous new character animation. I'm confident I'm just going to come out of this new ride very angry.

Couldn't agree more with your description of the heinous new character animation. I'm confident I'm just going to come out of this new ride very angry.

And fortunately can head straight to Baseline Tap for a flight of beer. :drinking1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!