Griffith Park Observatory - How Long?

jhaig

Not The First To Pass This Way
One of the things we want to experience for our first CA trip next year is Griffith Park Observatory. We were planning to visit on an evening but wasn't sure how long to dedicate. We'd like to see at least one show, get some good photo ops with the Hollywood sign and downtown LA, and have enough time to experience sunset, stay until closing, and not rush through it. Would 6-10pm be enough time to spend there?

I am not sure as we are planning our first trip too, but that is the amount of time I have planned. We are spending the day at the LA Zoo, driving over to see the carousel where Walt use to visit with his daughters and came up with the idea for DL and then to the Observatory. I hope it is enough time!

What day of the week and what time of the year are you going?

The amount of time seems fine. But it is traffic that you should watch for.

Weekday rush hour traffic on Los Feliz alone is heavy. And if there is a concert at the Greek Theatre the night you plan on going, give yourself time. Lots. Hollywood Bowl events also add traffic. These events are usually during the summer and early Fall.

The zoo, carousel and observatory are very close. Again it's the traffic and parking that will slow you down.

Just do you know, the Hollywood sign is not lit, so visiting after dark means it's really difficult to see, and there's really no photo op after dark. Not sure what time of year you are going but if it's already dark at 6 (like in Jan), you may want to plan to arrive earlier.

The zoo, carousel and observatory are very close. Again it's the traffic and parking that will slow you down.

Thanks. Not sure if the zoo would be a whole 9-5 day or not.

Just do you know, the Hollywood sign is not lit, so visiting after dark means it's really difficult to see, and there's really no photo op after dark. Not sure what time of year you are going but if it's already dark at 6 (like in Jan), you may want to plan to arrive earlier.

We are going next month so this should be an issue for this. Thanks!

Thanks. Not sure if the zoo would be a whole 9-5 day or not.

We are going next month so this should be an issue for this. Thanks!

The zoo is not a a 9-5 unless you really take your time and see absolutely everything. We used to arrive around noon and be out by closing. Like most things in the summer, you get hot and your feet hurt walking uphill. So I would suggest arriving early, and you will have plenty of time to do the other activities.

What day of the week and what time of the year are you going?

The amount of time seems fine. But it is traffic that you should watch for.

Weekday rush hour traffic on Los Feliz alone is heavy. And if there is a concert at the Greek Theatre the night you plan on going, give yourself time. Lots. Hollywood Bowl events also add traffic. These events are usually during the summer and early Fall.

Our plan is somewhere between June 20-30 next year, probably will go mid-week.

Just so I know, when does it get dark in CA in late June?

That should be plenty of time at the observatory but as PP mentioned, traffic could be an issue, especially if there's a show that night. Just keep in mind that during the busy season many of the shows sell out early so buy tickets as soon as you get there (they only sell them at the observatory). It is beautiful up there at night.

For PP hitting the zoo/carousel/observatory, it should work to hit the zoo as soon as it opens and spend a few hours (the animals are mostly out and about in the mornings and evenings, we've been there mid-day on hot days when you can hardly find any animals), stop by the carousel and then do the observatory. Just keep in mind that the carousel has limited operating hours. I think it's open 11-5 and only on weekends except in the summer, so check on hours for the time of your visit. If you have small kids check out Traveltown as well.

We were just there 2 days ago and spent about 2 hours. Holy cow was parking a nightmare though!! I would highly recommend doing uber if you are able to. We must have circled 3 times looking for a spot and ended up so far down the hill. And then my sons flip flop broke on the way up and he had to make the last half of the trek with one shoe on. Luckily an employee hooked us up with some tape when we got there! Lol

Anyway, we were there from about 2-4 and I read that it's even worse in the evenings so either plan on it taking a long time to find parking and a possible very very long walk up the winding hill or find another way like uber.

Last edited:
We ended up skipping the observatory. Just hiked up the hill and took pics with the Hollywood sign and then hiked down again. I was surprise how long (and hot) the hike was. Good thing we're hikers!!

While I would have liked to see the observatory too, it worked out best for our itinerary this way and I don't have any regrets.

I was just on the website and they have paid parking closer now for $4/hour. If we can't find a spot we may just skip it.

I was just on the website and they have paid parking closer now for $4/hour. If we can't find a spot we may just skip it.

It was a big deal to my daughter to get the photo with the Hollywood sign in her hand (even though none of us are diehard movie fans or anything like that). A couple of years later, we still exclaim enthusiastically when we see the photo. So it would be worth the $4 to us. Although we were able to find street parking relatively nearby in the twisty, windy residential streets next to the observatory.

Yes they do have a close lot with the $4 parking but it is a pretty small lot and when we were there close to 2, it was completely full. They have parking attendants out waving people on as well as cones set up. All the street parking is on the way up and then the lot is the last thing before you have to circle and go back down the hill and start looking.

You do have to pay in a lot of spots down the hill as well. We finally found one at the bottom of the circle/wrap around area and it was $4 as well.

Yes they do have a close lot with the $4 parking but it is a pretty small lot and when we were there close to 2, it was completely full. They have parking attendants out waving people on as well as cones set up. All the street parking is on the way up and then the lot is the last thing before you have to circle and go back down the hill and start looking.

You do have to pay in a lot of spots down the hill as well. We finally found one at the bottom of the circle/wrap around area and it was $4 as well.

Thanks for the tip

It was a big deal to my daughter to get the photo with the Hollywood sign in her hand (even though none of us are diehard movie fans or anything like that). A couple of years later, we still exclaim enthusiastically when we see the photo. So it would be worth the $4 to us. Although we were able to find street parking relatively nearby in the twisty, windy residential streets next to the observatory.

Oh, I don't mind paying the $4/hour but walking up a lot of hills is tough on me. I have a not so great knee and foot.

I wonder if my DH could drop me off closer and then go find a parking spot? :confused3

Adding the paid parking and expanding Dash bus service to 7 days per week hasn't alleviated the parking issue at GO. It's a popular free attraction with a small lot.

Thanks for the tip

Oh, I don't mind paying the $4/hour but walking up a lot of hills is tough on me. I have a not so great knee and foot.

I wonder if my DH could drop me off closer and then go find a parking spot? :confused3

There's another spot to see the sign that was amazing! I stumbled across it on a blog. It's sort of in a park but you don't really go into the park. You just park along the street and you are right there. But we got the best pictures there, it was much closer than any other spots I've seen with a completely unobstructed view.

Here's the address: 3204 Canyon Lake Drive

Attachments

• IMG_2636.PNG
    IMG_2636.PNG
    216.2 KB · Views: 14
There's another spot to see the sign that was amazing! I stumbled across it on a blog. It's sort of in a park but you don't really go into the park. You just park along the street and you are right there. But we got the best pictures there, it was much closer than any other spots I've seen with a completely unobstructed view.

Here's the address: 3204 Canyon Lake Drive
How far away is this from the Griffith Observatory?

How far away is this from the Griffith Observatory?

I don't think it's that far but nothing is easy to get to out there with all the hills and traffic. lol

Google maps says it's 5.8 miles. Here is a picture from there.

Attachments

• IMG_8837-copy.jpg
    IMG_8837-copy.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 23

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter