Griffith Park Trails

Lindsey17

Mouseketeer
My family & I are heading out to CA and DL in a few weeks and my own research is coming up with very conflicting information so I'm hoping someone can help. On one of our days, we were planning on doing a Hike by the Hollywood sign, but I can't get concrete answers on which trail to take to get the best/closest view of the sign (not being behind it). It appears the Mt. Hollywood trail is easiest and best for families, but do you actually get a good view of the sign? I watched a few YouTube videos, and it didn't really look like you did. Just not sure what trail takes us closest to the sign. Any advice would be appreciated! TIA

The road that winds through the neighborhood to the park by the sign has the best viewing overall. Parking is horrendous on the weekends.

Is the goal to hike, or to see the sign? If you just want to see the sign pretty close, I would make a trip up to the Griffith Observatory where you can get a great view from the front lawn. Plus the Observatory is very family friendly, and in my opinion, has some of the best views of Hollywood and Los Angeles in general. My tip when doing the Observatory is to park at the Greek Theater and take the city bus up. The bus is 50 cents a person and from the theater parking lot it's just one stop to the Observatory, quick and easy. Like the person above said, parking is terrible on the weekends, but I've always found lot of (free) parking at the theater and it makes the trip so much easier. There is a hike from the theater parking lot to the Observatory, and while I haven't tried it, I heard it's hard and very steep.

I've hiked the West Observatory trail, which starts on an easy park entrance road and goes up to the Observatory, with views of the sign along the way. Every time I've done it it's been a popular trail with lots of people and families. I'm not a great hiker so I get a little winded but everyone else on the trail seemed to find it not too hard. It's not the best or closest view of the sign, but it's not like you can ever get too close to it unless you walk above it, but it's better than being down on the streets of Hollywood and looking up.

As a warning, not sure how familiar you are with LA but in the summer it can get really hot with little cloud cover, and a lot of the trails around Griffith Park have minimal trees or shade. Always remember to bring light clothes, hats, and lots of water, especially if you aren't used to the weather. If it's one of those 90+ degree F days, I would really suggest skipping the hike and just doing the Observatory or anything indoors.

Also, I like having this map pulled up on my phone when I'm hiking around Griffith Park. Sometimes the trails get a little confusing and the trails aren't well labeled. Google Maps does fine too, but it's nice to refer to this when trying to find a trail.

Is the goal to hike, or to see the sign? If you just want to see the sign pretty close, I would make a trip up to the Griffith Observatory where you can get a great view from the front lawn. Plus the Observatory is very family friendly, and in my opinion, has some of the best views of Hollywood and Los Angeles in general. My tip when doing the Observatory is to park at the Greek Theater and take the city bus up. The bus is 50 cents a person and from the theater parking lot it's just one stop to the Observatory, quick and easy. Like the person above said, parking is terrible on the weekends, but I've always found lot of (free) parking at the theater and it makes the trip so much easier. There is a hike from the theater parking lot to the Observatory, and while I haven't tried it, I heard it's hard and very steep.

I've hiked the West Observatory trail, which starts on an easy park entrance road and goes up to the Observatory, with views of the sign along the way. Every time I've done it it's been a popular trail with lots of people and families. I'm not a great hiker so I get a little winded but everyone else on the trail seemed to find it not too hard. It's not the best or closest view of the sign, but it's not like you can ever get too close to it unless you walk above it, but it's better than being down on the streets of Hollywood and looking up.

As a warning, not sure how familiar you are with LA but in the summer it can get really hot with little cloud cover, and a lot of the trails around Griffith Park have minimal trees or shade. Always remember to bring light clothes, hats, and lots of water, especially if you aren't used to the weather. If it's one of those 90+ degree F days, I would really suggest skipping the hike and just doing the Observatory or anything indoors.

Also, I like having this map pulled up on my phone when I'm hiking around Griffith Park. Sometimes the trails get a little confusing and the trails aren't well labeled. Google Maps does fine too, but it's nice to refer to this when trying to find a trail.
Thank you so much for the map and the help. We kind of want both. Views of the sign and to do a hike. We've hiked before as well as our kids, but still beginners so good to know the trail from the Greek Theater is steep. We haven't been to CA before so thanks for the warning about the sun and little shade on the trails. We have a cooler backpack that I will make sure is full of water. We were already planning to do the hike during the week instead of a weekend to hopefully avoid a bigger crowd. I did watch a few youtube videos, which is why I got nervous about it since nothing seems well marked. Guess we'll do our best and at least get the views from the Observatory.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter