Grocery delivery vs Uber to Publix

TikiMan0228

Mouseketeer
Hi. We are 55 days out for our trip and want to stock up on breakfast items for the week. We looked at GG delivery and while convenient the prices are pretty high for the stuff we want. I looked at Publix weekly ads and prices are so much better. Has anyone used Uber to go offsite to shop? It is a $6 trip on Uber. If I go that route will AKL put in cold storage for us until the villa is ready? Any insight will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

Yes, Bell Services has a fridge to keep things. Just seperate bags into what needs refrigeration and what doesn't.
I'm not sure what is the cheapest option. AKL has a large food section in the gift shop as well. It's more expensive than Publix, but cost possibly is still cheaper when you don't have the extra fee of Uber + Tip. We pack in our luggage instant oatmeal and bagels for breakfast in room. Anything else can easily be bought in gift shop

Over the years we have gone to the grocery via rental car, town car service & taxi (after arriving at our resort). Garden Grocer is by far the best. Time is money. Even tho' Uber is less than a taxi, you are still "spending" precious time on grocery shopping when you could be enjoying the sights and sounds of the happiest place on earth ... just one opinion :)

I have never used Uber to Publix for groceries, but I have used WeGoShop delivery service twice with great success. I am not certain how the delivery fees compare to Uber or GG's delivery fees, but WeGoShop allows you to tell them where you would like your groceries to come from. So, you can dictate where they shop. Additionally, they shop using the weekly flyers and work hard to get you the best prices wherever you ask them to shop. Just another option to explore...I hope this helps! Have a great trip!

I have not used Uber in Orlando, but have used it other places and I think it's awesome. I also super, super LOVE Publix stores (the one in Celebration is beautiful) and the prices are very reasonable. I would totally take Uber to Publix and enjoy my time there!

I would uber. Whats an hour? The delivery service is not so high but the cost of the food is crazy! $8.99 to $10.99 for a carton of coke or water. $7.00 for a bag of chips. Crazy.

We went in August. I was planning on doing a grocery delivery but my dh wanted to go and pick out things just in case they did t have what we wanted or we said “hey that’s on sale, let’s get that instead”.

We rented a car for 24 hours from the dolphin and it worked out well for us!

DH walked over from the BC while I swam (he hates swimming and the kids were in the pool) and he was back with in the hour. He and I plus one of our kids went to Super Target (south of AK), there was a Publix at that intersection too in case we couldn’t find what we needed.

We got all our breakfast, snacks, water and toiletries while there. It cost I think $60 (maybe $55). We had the one class upgrade-we are a family of 5 but chose the sedan and said the kids could deal. Normally they all hate the middle seat in that situation but our son that came with us loved the middle since he could see where he was going. But we only had the car a short time. We used to that night for chef mickeys and it saved us time from transferring busses and we used it the Next am for the 7am EMH at DHs. Well worth it.

But Next time I am sure we will do an Uber/lyft because it will be cheaper then the rental car and the parking fee.

We used Safeway to have groceries delivered to Pop on multiple occasions. We found their prices were much more reasonable than Garden Grocer. Maybe take the time to compare Safeway prices to Publix prices to see if you'd save that much money.

Do any stores in a reasonable distance have a grocery pickup service (I know Kroger and Walmart do around here)? That might be a cheaper option and you would do the actual shopping ahead of time. Just uber and get your things loaded and uber back
Some grocery stores also have their own delivery services. I think Kroger charges $12 to deliver around here (prices, sales, digital coupons, etc. are the same as shopping in store)

IMO - we would rather spend the extra money and let Garden Grocer deliver it. Much more convenient and not as time consuming. Even though the prices are marked up, the cost difference is negligible especially in the grand scheme of a Disney vacation. Otherwise, you're losing time and like a PP put it - time is money.

We always use Lyft and go to Publix on check-in day. We'd rather pick out our own items, especially at their deli. Only takes an hour or so from start to finish.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts