Grocery Pick Up Mix Up

superme80

DIS Veteran
What has been your favorite substitution or screw up with your grocery pick up or deliveries? My favorite substitution was Chive Whipped cream instead of plain. I got a pretty good mix up in my favor. I ended up with part of someone else's order. I called them, because it was kind of pricey, and they said keep it. So I did. I just learned how to cook scallops. :lmao: So what have your favorite mix ups been?

What has been your favorite substitution or screw up with your grocery pick up or deliveries? My favorite substitution was Chive Whipped cream instead of plain. I got a pretty good mix up in my favor. I ended up with part of someone else's order. I called them, because it was kind of pricey, and they said keep it. So I did. I just learned how to cook scallops. :lmao: So what have your favorite mix ups been?

lol, that sounds funny, I never thought f the mix ups, I dont want them picking up my food, but thats funny, I could only imagine. You know as I tyoe this you got me thinking, why do I care if they pick it out, I will eat it no matter what it looks like, lol

My worst substitution was when they gave me cottage cheese for sour cream :crazy2:and my best mix up was doubles of all my chicken and salmon...and no, it was not a bogo special.

My worst substitution was when they gave me cottage cheese for sour cream :crazy2:and my best mix up was doubles of all my chicken and salmon...and no, it was not a bogo special.
Oh the cottage cheese/sour cream swap would have had me heated! My local Safeway is awesome, but it is a really new service. This is not the first mistake they have made. Thankfully they always note things to try and do better. I really appreciate how hard they are working.

I ordered 6 large apples. Instead they brought me a 10 pound bag of oranges. First, I've never seen a store run out of apples. If they substituted Gala for Fuji, I could see that. But oranges? I wanted apples, not some random fruit. Besides, we had an orange tree at the time that was bursting with oranges. No way did I want to pay for any. I sent them back for a refund. The one that kind of bugged me was when they brought whole milk instead of 1 percent. I would understand if they brought 2 percent, but not whole! I sent that one back too. I haven't had groceries delivered in years. The last time I did it, I had a badly sprained ankle and was on crutches. I learned to check "no substitutions" for every item. That fixed it.

I ordered 6 large apples. Instead they brought me a 10 pound bag of oranges. First, I've never seen a store run out of apples. If they substituted Gala for Fuji, I could see that. But oranges? I wanted apples, not some random fruit. Besides, we had an orange tree at the time that was bursting with oranges. No way did I want to pay for any. I sent them back for a refund. The one that kind of bugged me was when they brought whole milk instead of 1 percent. I would understand if they brought 2 percent, but not whole! I sent that one back too. I haven't had groceries delivered in years. The last time I did it, I had a badly sprained ankle and was on crutches. I learned to check "no substitutions" for every item. That fixed it.
My first order had some substitutions I didn't like, so I click NO Substitutions on the rest of my orders.

I wanted a electric kettle for my travel trailer so I ordered a cheap plastic Proctor Silex one with my Wal-Mart grocery order. They substituted a stainless steel Krups kettle that was going for $40.

The two worst substitutions were cheapy paper plates instead of Dixie plates and getting an assortment of plastic silverware when I only needed spoons.

We ordered braunschweiger, and they wanted to substitute in bratwurst. I guess they’re both meat, that’s pretty much the end of it.

I always order whole milk, and they tried to give us 2% - gross!

We ordered braunschweiger, and they wanted to substitute in bratwurst. I guess they’re both meat, that’s pretty much the end of it.

My family would rebelled too. My boys and husband only drink whole milk, unless it is chocolate. They will drink 2% if it is chocolate milk. LOL

I learned pretty quick to uncheck “allow substitutions.” I had an entire wrong order delivered. I managed to flag the guy down. He was not happy and for a minute there I thought he was going to refuse to take it back.

My favorite was The King delivering my groceries:
63C0BC11-260A-4F25-8507-6EB50738F1EC.jpeg

Oh Lord I dearly love whole milk. We bought 2% until our youngest turned 2 and our pediatrician gave us a STERN lecture that nobody over age 2 should drink anything but skim milk.
I grew up with skim milk. My mom grew up on a farm and they always had a cow for milk, and the cream was always saved to make butter, so she grew up with skim milk too.
Never thought about it until I hit College and I was in a Fraternity and we ran our own kitchen. There was some controversy when we ordered skim milk (blue milk as some called it) instead of whole.

Worst: I ordered paper towels...they were out of the brand I ordered, and substituted in a (admittedly higher quality) paper towel, in a bigger size, at more than twice the cost, on a delivery order. On a pick up order, they tried to give me (more than once) 2% or skim milk instead of whole; plain half & half instead of vanilla coffee creamer; and half & half instead of heavy whipping cream. The worst part was I put "no substiutions" on every order, and yet I still get attempted substitutions.

Oh.....and the time I ordered a bunch of meat and frozen stuff from BJs (through Instacart)...and none of the meat or frozen stuff was in cold bags. By the time the shopper finished my shopping and got here, it had been out for 3 or 4 hours. I called and got refunded, and tossed it all...sorry, not taking any chances. I don't order meat or frozen stuff for delivery anymore; only order frozen stuff from Walmart if I'm doing pickup, as they keep the stuff properly stored until you notify them you are there.

Best: not getting my order wrong, and having all items in stock. It hasn't happened yet (from any of my delivery/drive up pick up orders, but I'm hoping)....

A few days before Thanksgiving a couple years ago I wanted an 8 oz bag of shredded cheese. Apparently Everyone wanted cheese for their Thanksgiving recipes because they gave me a HUGE bag of cheese. Like I had never even noticed they had bags that big. I paid the 8 oz price 9f course.

Another time I wanted a small container of canola oil and was given a full gallon because they didn't have the smaller size.

I feel like they've gotten better at finding substitutes thay don't cost them so much money nowadays.

The funniest wasn't mine, I read about it here on the DIS early in the pandemic - the order was for a dozen eggs, and what they got was buffalo flavored hard boiled eggs. I am still laughing about that one from time to time when I think of it.

I got a huge bottle of high quality olive oil once when I ordered the smallest bottle of store brand.

Edited to add:
I forgot, just a couple of weeks ago I asked for 1 lb of frozen tilapia and got an 8 pound bag!

Last edited:
I’ve been ordering Shoprite online for over 10 years, the only issues were caused by me, not the shopper. Since I order weekly, it’s happened several times. Before Covid, I’d get a call asking about substitutions, now I get a text and I can refuse them. A funny one was when I mistakingly ordered 3 pounds of jalapeños. Before Covid, they would catch mistakes, like when I accidentally ordered 8 pounds of cooked deli corned beef instead of an 8 pound uncooked corned beef before saint patricks day.

SO somebody at supermarket was comparing apples to oranges!!! :rotfl2:

My grocery delivery service is pretty good but they sometimes add extra items I didn't ask for and sends the bill total through the roof. I tried to complain to the manager but didn't get anywhere.

Granted, DH is both the shopper and the manager and the extra items are things he wants for munchies or whatever ssooooooo..........

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter