Grocery store availability

Smitty74

Earning My Ears
I am a complete WDW newbie, I like to eat, and I like to save cash. With that in mind I have a question for you guys.

We are staying at the POR and are getting a shuttle van to the resort from the airport as part of our package. My question is are there any grocery stores available to me down there without having to get a rental car?

I will probably be packing a bag to take with us full of non-perishable food, but if there are no grocery stores available, are there places there to purchase perishable items like milk and bread, and lunch meat?

Thanks in advance for the advice, we are going on our honeymoon!

Smitty74

You can try the convenience store at POR- It will definitely have the milk and bread and possibly some lunch meat (pre-packaged variety) I think they have a pretty good refrigerated section I recall. Or, you could try Netgrocer.com, not sure of how or if they ship "perishables" I am looking for the same type of service myself, we are staying at OKW in April and there has to be a grocery store that delivers!! If I find it, I'll email you. Good luck and have a wonderful time, POR is awesome!

net grocer only seems to sell non-perishable stuff. Somebody mentioned on this board somewhere that you could rent cars by the day somewhere on Disney. If so, that might be a nice idea one night. you could go to the store, plus go out on the town for an evening. any info on that?

Why not just hire a town car instead of taking the shuttle. Yes, for 2 it will be a little more expensive, but the convience...and they will allow you a 1/2 hour grocery stop. You could pick up perishables...I would think that the price difference between the shuttle and the towncar would still be less than renting a car onsite for a day.
The only two I can think of are Tiffany Towncar and Happy Limo. I know they both have websites and you can find $5 coupons for round trip!

thanks for the advice, I will see what I can work out. the real advantage of fetting a car for a day would be that you could spend an evening exploring Orlando

Hi Smitty! Welcome to the DIS!!! :)

National Car rental is available on-site - at the Ticket and Transportation center and at the Swan - I THINK! You can check out the National site. Or you can check out our Transportation Board.
I too would suggest that you try a Town Car Service that offers a Grocery Store stop. If you cannot do that, then you can get small cartons of milk at the Food Courts at most of the resorts. They have little "convenience" store things there - milk, fruit, cereals, bagels, etc.
Other than that, there is little else that I am aware of that you can do other than renting a car.
Hope that this helps some...

:)

Just called National car rental, They have a office at the car care center near the exit of the Magic Kingdom.

they quoted.....

One day Rental of a Chevy Cavalier style 4 door vehicle, up to 100 miles, and .34 cents a mile afterward. it comes in at $43 after tax (may vary for you, thats what they just told me)

This is actually looking like a good option. Like I said earlier, it would be nice to get off disney one afternoon and cruise around orlando, not to mention getting to go to a grocery store.

we always visit the other tons of places in Orlando too as well. In the past we have always enjoyed Ripley's and Titanic Ship of Dreams for instance. Other places in the vicinity include Wonderworks, Guiness Book of World Records Museum, and Orlando Science Center just to name a few or shopping in the main area outlets. Also, there are many great local or chain restaurants in the area as well that are just right next door to WDW so you will find plenty. As far as grocery stores, there are Publix stores immediately in the WDW area which offer a great variety at low prices and the nearby Super Walmart has groceries as well as some souvenirs along with tons of other stuff. Hope you have a great vacation/honeymoon!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter