Groom's cake question

supamaki

Drinkin' around the world!
Has anybody seen these? I want one, but everyone says I'm nuts, that they are old fashioned, and nobody has them anymore. If I do get one, where is it, at the rehersal diiner, or does it have a place of honor at the wedding?
If anyone is from NY, and has heard of Carvel, I want my cake to be Fudgie the Whale, and have it say, "Have a whale of a wedding" on it!

Hi! Yep, I've definitely heard of a groom's cake. I have been to three rehearsal dinners in the past couple of years, and 2 of 3 had a groom's cake. I have never seen a groom's cake at a wedding, but I know some people do. Have you seen the movie "Steel Magnolis" (?sp)? Remember the armidilo cake?

I kind of like the idea of the groom's cake at the rehearsal dinner, because I want the wedding cake to be the focus at the wedding. Plus, having the groom's cake at the reheasal provides a fancy dessert for that affair as well.

Anyway, these are just my ideas. Different areas of the country have very different views.

In this area, ALL weddings have Groom's Cakes and they are served at the reception along with the Bride's Cake. The wedding couple cut the Bride's Cake first, then cut the Groom's Cake and feed each other both. It is very much a regional thing. The Groom's Cake is usually every bit as fancy as the Bride's cake, and is decorated to show something meaningful to the groom. Let's face it, girls. The guys don't get too much recognition or attention, so I think it's a great idea to have the groom's cake as something special for the groom, to draw attention to him. :) My husband is an Aggie, so for his groom's cake when we were married, he had a gorgeous chocolate cake with the Texas A&M seal in the center. It was decorated with chocolate shavings, chocolate covered strawberries, and marroon and gold ribbons. If the groom has a particular hobby or interest, the cake could depict that. Oh, and usually the Groom's Cake is chocolate, but not always.

Nuts? Old fashioned? Nope! It just depends what part of the country you're from, whether or not it's common. Personally, I always look forward more to the Groom's Cake than the Bride's Cake at a wedding reception, because it's CHOCOLATE!!! :D

It's so fun learning all of the different traditions from different parts of the country. If the groom's cake is at the wedding, then the wedding cake is called a "bride's cake"? Where I am, it is a "wedding cake". It's considered the couples', not just the bride's.

Whatever you decide will be completely acceptable and will be wonderful!

Actually, it's usually just called the wedding cake, but occassionally you'll hear the term "Bride's Cake" to distinguish it from the Groom's Cake. But yes, the traditional white wedding cake is more the bride's and the Groom's Cake, is well, for the groom. :)

Here in the Mid-South, a Groom's cake is still included at every wedding reception. Our youngest son is getting married in October. His fiance has chosen a chocolate cake to be decorated like a Playstation 2. Yes, he's 23 and still play those video games at times. Our oldest son was married last year. His cake was chocolate and decorated with an outdoors camping scene. He's an avid backpacker and he loved his cake. It's your wedding, this is one time you get to have whatever you heart desires. Bring on Fudgie the Whale :bounce: :pinkbounc

I was informed by my fiances family that when I design the wedding cake I also should send them his "groom's Cake" design. It was the first I had heard of it.
His family (in the rest. bus. for years) is doing all of the cooking etc so, he is going to have one. I didn't realize it should symbolize something for him... Hmmmm. Yet another detail to add to the wedding plan!

I have never seen an actual Groom's Cake "in person", supamaki, but I definitely remember the one shown in "Steel Magnolias", Anne 2! I like your Fudgie the Whale idea, supamaki - that would be cute! And I'm sure that everyone would appreciate the chocolate! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter