Ground transportation in Rome

Fay Z

Earning My Ears
I understand Disney can do Airport to port transportation on embarkment day, but if we decide to fly into Rome a day earlier, does that mean we will have to arrange for our own transportation to the port? We will definitely be using Disney ground transportation going back to the airport, but not sure what to do on the first day, from what I've heard the ground transportation is always booked as round trip so we can't just book it for the return trip. Can someone has experienced this in Rome please shed some light? Thanks!

I'm not experiences DCL in Rome (until next year), but I've never heard it being RT required. If you want to use Disney you might need to go back to the airport to catch it though. The other option is to stay at one of the Disney-designated hotels (that you must book through them).

Unless they do something weird in Europe, round trip is not required.

My friend and I are out of Civitavecchia on RCCL on July 1 and are staying in Rome a couple of nights before. We are using romashuttle.com to get from our hotel to the port. they came recommended on Cruise Critic.

Thanks, both are great options, I'll talk to my agent about the 'disney designated hotels' -- never heard of them before, or go with the local option.

At least in Barcelona round trip isn't required. We're just taking Disney transportation after our cruise.

We are flying into Barcelona a day early for our cruise and Disney would not do the transportation from the Airport to our Hotel. So we plan on taking a taxi. What they would do is take us from the hotel to the port; since we are staying at one of the two Disney suggested hotels. We are also using having them take us back from the port to the airport after the cruise.

Psy

I understand Disney can do Airport to port transportation on embarkment day, but if we decide to fly into Rome a day earlier, does that mean we will have to arrange for our own transportation to the port? We will definitely be using Disney ground transportation going back to the airport, but not sure what to do on the first day, from what I've heard the ground transportation is always booked as round trip so we can't just book it for the return trip. Can someone has experienced this in Rome please shed some light? Thanks!

We are flying into Rome 3-days before our cruise, but we are using DCL's transportation from Rome's FCO airport to Civitavecchia. You just have to get yourself to the airport on the day of the cruise and meet the DCL reps to get checked in. Ours is a one-way since our cruise disembarks in Barcelona. We did the same thing at Heathrow for our cruise out of Dover. Never had a requirement for roundtrip when using DCL transportation in Europe.

I think the confusion about ground transportation requiring round trip booking is a DCL web site problem. Even for Port Canaveral cruises, you can only add round trip transfers when booking them online, although you can readily book one-way transfers by phone.

We did the 8 night from Civitavecchia and used private transportation to the port and Disney transfer from the port to the airport. Our travel agent booked the one way Disney transfer prior to the trip.

When we stayed in Rome our hotel arranged a car for us (ours was from the port to Rome though as we ended in Rome from our cruise). We are cruising out of Dover in September and were able to get DCL transportation from one of the hotels in London even though we are not staying there. We just have to get ourselves to the hotel (which is only a short distance away), not all the way back to the airport.

For what it’s worth, we booked all our own transfers for our cruise from Rome last month and I was glad we didn’t use Disney transportation. For the transfer to the port it’s so much faster (and super easy) to use the train. Some of the people that took Disney transport were picked up late and then sat in traffic for 2+ hours and were some of the last to board. I generally dislike the large bus transfers..so much time waste waiting.

We are flying into Rome 3-days before our cruise, but we are using DCL's transportation from Rome's FCO airport to Civitavecchia. You just have to get yourself to the airport on the day of the cruise and meet the DCL reps to get checked in. Ours is a one-way since our cruise disembarks in Barcelona. We did the same thing at Heathrow for our cruise out of Dover. Never had a requirement for roundtrip when using DCL transportation in Europe.
I know this is a good few years since you travelled, but how easy was it going back to the airport after sometime in Rome then meeting the Disney reps to get on the shuttle?
I'm doing the same for my trip in June but the person who booked the shuttle on the phone mentioned meeting reps in baggage claim which I can't access as I'll have flown in 3 days prior. Can you also remember which terminal the shuttle leaves from?

We are going to Rome in a few months. We are not staying at a disney hotel but still will be using Disney transportation to the port.. made reservation and paid for it by calling DCL. We just need to walk over to the Disney hotel from where we are staying. No need to go to airport for trsnsportation.

We went to Rome 3 days prior to our Greek Isles cruise in 2022. We used romecabs.com for both transportation from the airport to the hotel, then from the hotel to Civitavecchia. One nice thing about the private transfer was that it dropped you off right by the cruise ship, so you didn't have to hike through the port. We did use the DCL transfer from the disembarkation at the port back to the airport.

On another note, we stayed at the Waldorf Cavalieri (because we had Hilton points) and it was a great hotel. It not exactly in the center, but they have a shuttle(or a cab is 10 euro) that runs about 7-8 times a day. This hotel had one of the best included breakfast spreads we've had in a hotel. It was great. I also think that this was one of the DCL hotels, because there were DCL reps there the day we left for port, however, I think you had to book the hotel through them in order to have the transfer from the hotel. We didn't mind because our driver was great. Would highly recommend romecabs...

When my family cruised out of Rome in 2019, we booked a car service (I don't remember which, but I know there are many) to drive us from our hotel in Rome to Civitavecchia. It didn't make sense to us to go back to the airport to get the Disney bus, which for 4 people, would cost more. If you do want to go back to the airport to take the Disney Cruise bus, though, you should be able to get dropped off by Baggage Claim.

We went in the night before the cruise and stayed at a hotel in Civitavecchia. If we leave out of that port again, though, we will probably stay the night in Rome and take a car to the port in the morning, since there is not much to do in the port area and the hotel was not nearly as nice as the one we had in Rome.

If you decide to do a car service, I used Rome by Limo from FCO to Civitavecchia. I was very happy with it. They do ask for a cash payment, so make sure you have some euros if you use them.

We took public transportation but I wouldnr advice if you are a family dragging lots of luggage and a couple of kids. One suitcase for an adult is feasible. The train didnt have a lot of special luggage storage so you had to hold on to it. The transtation is not within walking distance of the ship. They had a little shuttle which you had to pay cash but its all people trying to get on with lots of luggage so not really the most relaxing way to start your vacation imo (no taxis available when we got there)

We are going to Rome in a few months. We are not staying at a disney hotel but still will be using Disney transportation to the port.. made reservation and paid for it by calling DCL. We just need to walk over to the Disney hotel from where we are staying. No need to go to airport for trsnsportation.
Hoping to do the same. Luckily our hotel booked on points is a quick walk to one of the Disney hotels. Can you share the cost and timing? Are you on the laterJune trip? Thank you!

Hoping to do the same. Luckily our hotel booked on points is a quick walk to one of the Disney hotels. Can you share the cost and timing? Are you on the laterJune trip? Thank you!
Actually we decided to go a different way. Talked to a friend who has been there several times and I'm thinking it's something so common it will be easy to arrange after arrival.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter