GTY but need Connecting Rooms

shaunacb

Always planning a DVC trip from Canada!
Has anyone ever booked two GTY rooms and been assigned non-connecting rooms for your family? Or do they generally try to keep GTY’s together/connecting?

Has anyone ever booked two GTY rooms and been assigned non-connecting rooms for your family? Or do they generally try to keep GTY’s together/connecting?
Are you talking about GTY (regular guarantee room where you can select a specific category, but not a room)?

Or a *GT (last minute restricted fare, where you select a type of room - inside/oceanview/verandah)?

Typically, by accepting a guarantee booking, you agree to allow DCL to put you wherever they want. Yes, on occasion, 2 guarantee bookings that are linked have been assigned room next door, or close to each other. Other times, not so much (opposite sides/ends of ship, different decks.

Yeah...I wouldn't gamble it if you need connecting rooms. You are much more likely to get opposite ends of the ship than next to each other.

Are you talking about GTY (regular guarantee room where you can select a specific category, but not a room)?

Or a *GT (last minute restricted fare, where you select a type of room - inside/oceanview/verandah)?

Typically, by accepting a guarantee booking, you agree to allow DCL to put you wherever they want. Yes, on occasion, 2 guarantee bookings that are linked have been assigned room next door, or close to each other. Other times, not so much (opposite sides/ends of ship, different decks.
Yes they are two 10B GTY rooms (not *GT restricted)... Hawaii so that was all that was available on Gold. Family of 5.

Yes they are two 10B GTY rooms (not *GT restricted)... Hawaii so that was all that was available on Gold. Family of 5.
I would say your chances of at least being close (next door, across hall) are fairly good, since you've got a specific category guarantee. A little better than the *GT booking would be, I think. Now, as to whether they'll be actually "connecting" I'm not sure.

Personally wouldn’t stress about 2022 since odds will be astronomical you’ll see enough cancel between now & then..

we’ve been 2/2 for getting connected rooms on GT rates so all is not lost
Thanks for posting your experience! 2/2 are pretty good odds :)

Crazy, but we booked GTY 5E two cabins and got near, not connecting. However, we’ve booked VGT one cruise and they gave us connecting rooms. We were with adult daughter and grandkids, so it didn’t matter Either way. We have GTY 5E next year, so we’ll see what happens.

Personally wouldn’t stress about 2022 since odds will be astronomical you’ll see enough cancel between now & then..

we’ve been 2/2 for getting connected rooms on GT rates so all is not lost
This Hawaii booking has been unreal! I have never been part of a cruise where the entire ship sold out. And so fast!! I would like to move my state room… So it’s good to know people will cancel.
Do you have any tips on when to check for room availability now that the opening day cancellations have passed? When do people usually cancel?

This Hawaii booking has been unreal! I have never been part of a cruise where the entire ship sold out. And so fast!! I would like to move my state room… So it’s good to know people will cancel.
Do you have any tips on when to check for room availability now that the opening day cancellations have passed? When do people usually cancel?
Generally, about 3 days after bookings open, those who just put a hold on rooms will drop off. Then there may be a large number who cancel just prior to PIF date. Other than that, it's just luck of being online soon after someone cancels. Sometimes people will post on a cruise meet thread that they're about to cancel a reservation on that cruise.

We got connecting rooms on two OGT reservations we did once on the Dream. Never had multiple GTY rooms though, so can't comment on that category.

I don’t think you can compare this sailing To any other. For one it’s a very unique itinerary that Disney doesn’t do that often and two there’s already been a very close knit FB community built over the past couple of years. There was also much disappointment when the cruise was canceled due to Covid. So in this case you have a great majority of people rebooking And many online friendships reunited. Where are you booked on the cancelled too?

When people cancel, the cancel rooms will come in as GTY, based on the last cruises that had similar situation, including the cancelled Hawaii cruises. So you'll still only be able to move category, not choose a stateroom. At this point, any changed or new booking will by GTY.

It's the same for the 2022 Westbound Panama Canal cruise virtually all categories were sold out (except GTY on inside and some Oceanview staterooms) by the time the general public booking opened. (Thursday). a few 3 day holds dropped off this weekend but were snapped up immediately, so right now there's really nothing left.

When people cancel, the cancel rooms will come in as GTY, based on the last cruises that had similar situation, including the cancelled Hawaii cruises. So you'll still only be able to move category, not choose a stateroom. At this point, any changed or new booking will by GTY.
Thanks _auroraborealis_! I’m happy with my 10B GTYs, but my big concern is the fact that I need connecting rooms (5 people). I’ve been stalking the website to see if connecting staterooms become available... but if you are saying every cancelled stateroom won’t show the actual room number, then what I’m doing is pointless? So I should just cross my fingers and wait until DCL assigns my room and hope for the best? Thanks!

Thanks _auroraborealis_! I’m happy with my 10B GTYs, but my big concern is the fact that I need connecting rooms (5 people). I’ve been stalking the website to see if connecting staterooms become available... but if you are saying every cancelled stateroom won’t show the actual room number, then what I’m doing is pointless? So I should just cross my fingers and wait until DCL assigns my room and hope for the best? Thanks!
It's what happened with Hawaii and Greece.

Thank you for all of this information auroraborealis. It’s good to know what to expect with the GTY. I would like to change our if the specific stateroom I am in... So it sounds like I can watch for a GTY In another category to change into, or I could change over to my current category GTY and take my chances they don’t put me in the current room I’m in 😉. At what point do the state rooms get assigned?

Thank you for all of this information auroraborealis. It’s good to know what to expect with the GTY. I would like to change our if the specific stateroom I am in... So it sounds like I can watch for a GTY In another category to change into, or I could change over to my current category GTY and take my chances they don’t put me in the current room I’m in 😉. At what point do the state rooms get assigned?
Guarantee rooms can be assigned at any time between original booking date all the way up to, and including, embarkation day.

GTY is generally assigned around 46-60 days out from the cruise. We've had GTY assignments from 3 days after booking (about 3 months out from cruise) to the day before embarkation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter