Guest experiences with daily room checks

Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s because all of the non-guest-experience posts have been deleted. :)

Ok , I may have just missed them .. I know for me since there are so many threads about the subject I know I get alerts and don’t always pay attention to the thread the alert was for .

Just got back from April 9-16 stay at All Star Sports. We opted out of daily housekeeping altogether, and no one came to the room while we were there. Granted we were out of the room a majority of the time. But some days we didn't leave the room til 9 or after, and a couple days were shortened by thunderstorms, so we returned around 4-5 PM. If they came to do a check, it was while we were out. We did ask for extra supplies a couple times, and maybe someone bringing those counts as a room check.

At Pop 4/14 (7pm) - 4/20 (9am):
*We declined housekeeping. (Only b/c the room was dirty at check in, so why bother.)
*We never used the 'occupied' sign.
*I believe someone entered daily 4/15 to 4/18. Not 4/19, our last full day of 6 day trip.
*No one entered when we were in the room (we were out by 8am, back between 2pm to 4pm).

(ETA: Since someone asked, details.... We believe someone entered daily because items I placed right behind the door (when it was almost shut) were moved the distance of the door opening enough to allow a person in; day after rain I could see the shoe prints on the vinyl floor all the way to the sink area (I cleaned the floor after arrival day 1 b/c it was so dirty); bath mat we kept on floor to wipe feet (to keep the floor clean - I didn't want to clean it again!) was moved/pushed out of the way daily (I placed it at the narrow spot between table bed and frig - you had to either step on it (my intention, for us) or move it); one day my sandals were neatly lined up LOL. I never ever place them neatly.)

Last edited:
Spent April 11-18th at Coronado Springs. We did not decline housekeeping. Our first day housekeeping missed our room somehow. After that she came while we were out of the room until our last day. Our last day we were having a much later start and she knocked around 9, we forgot to put out the room occupied sign. She asked if we still wanted service that day and I said yes, in the afternoon. Changed our minds and called Housekeeping to say service wasn’t needed that day. Within an hour or so security called and said they would need to do a room check within the next couple of hours. This was around noon. We were in the room until 3 and no one came by. No idea if anyone ever did.

Just curious ... how did you know someone entered daily if you didn't get housekeeping?

Edited my original post. (FYI I only did this b/c I was curious as to whether this was really happening as I'm not comfortable leaving my kids in the room alone if so. No offense to CMs, but I doubt my kids would know how to handle someone trying to get in the room, no matter how I tried to train them to do so. And my kids would be worried afterwards, no matter how it went.)

Last edited:
Stayed at AKV (DVC) 04/09-04/15. Our room was checked & trash emptied daily but we never saw them or were disturbed. Only hung sign when we were in the room extended in the morning for 2 days (on checkout day until 11), otherwise were out before 9 each morning. Came back most days to swim & relax in the early afternoon. Even the day of storms where we were at the hotel most of the day, we didn’t get disturbed. Saw lots of rooms with the signs hanging in their doors.

POFQ the past week. Room cleaned daily - always while we were out of it; never had anyone do a room check while we were there including during a 3-5 break one day and 2-3:30 another.

At AKL (Jambo, savannah view room, not DVC) 4/15-20. Had a weird schedule (some very early mornings, some late mornings in, some afternoon naps) so was concerned about checks, but we put the room occupied sign out and were never disturbed, even one day when we didn't leave the room until almost 2 pm. Had mousekeeping every day, but they came in when we weren't there and had taken the sign down. We left right before 11 am on checkout day and were not disturbed.

Stayed at Polynesian Villas (Tokelau building) on DVC points from 4/14-4/21/18. We had the 'room occupied' sign on whenever we were in the room, removed it when we left. No one bothered us, even the day when we didn't make it out of the room until Noon. We got daily trash removal, and our day 4 'trash and towel' service.

Stayed at POP 3/4-3/7. I declined housekeeping when I checked in, and there was no mention of room checks from the front desk. I was in the parks all day but one when I decided to take a mid-afternoon break. I was in my PJs with the door sign on around 2pm when someone started a constant knocking. I answered the door and she said "I have to check your room for safety and security" or something like that. I said "OK" and she walked to the bathroom entrance then right back out and apologized to me (I guess she could tell I was annoyed).

Honestly don't know how I would've taken it if I hadn't read about the room checks from this site. They really need to give guests a heads up.

Stayed at POP 3/4-3/7. I declined housekeeping when I checked in, and there was no mention of room checks from the front desk. I was in the parks all day but one when I decided to take a mid-afternoon break. I was in my PJs with the door sign on around 2pm when someone started a constant knocking. I answered the door and she said "I have to check your room for safety and security" or something like that. I said "OK" and she walked to the bathroom entrance then right back out and apologized to me (I guess she could tell I was annoyed).

Honestly don't know how I would've taken it if I hadn't read about the room checks from this site. They really need to give guests a heads up.

Exact same experience at Pop last month, except I wasn't wearing PJs. :rolleyes: DH answered the door and the girl couldn't really explain why she needed to come in. We had just checked in that morning and were staying one night. They really need to give the front line people a bit more to work with to avoid really upset guests. I was NOT happy.

Arrived 2 days early for a Contemporary Atrium Level stay, so we booked last minute at Pop, because it was all that was available. This was a no parks, just relaxing long weekend kind of trip. At POP, we had the worst experience with someone walking in with NO KNOCK at 9 a.m. and a sign on the door. First it was a housekeeper and we said we were still there and to come back later, she said no problem. Thirty minutes later, they walked in AGAIN with no knock (different housekeeper) and we repeated the SAME thing, in English and Spanish (I am Mexican and speak Spanish fluently as I was afraid maybe she didn't understand). 30 minutes later one of the housekeeping gentlemen WALKED IN AGAIN!!! At this point my husband was pissed as we are being ignored, the sign is on the door and we have kids changing in the room and showering.

Husband heads to the front desk to complain with all the information AND the exact times it happened as well as description of the employees. WHILE he is speaking to the manager it happens for the 4th time, the man walks in anyway, no matter what I have said and I have my husband on the phone while he is speaking to the manager. We ended up being comped 8 meals at their quick service dining area including sides and drinks and they called the housekeeping manager in front of my husband to explain everything.

When we finally left for the day, the man and woman were still standing around our room, about 2 doors down. I was paranoid we were going to be robbed, it was that ridiculous.

Not one issue at the Contemporary and we were in the lounge and room a lot, enjoying the balcony and just unwinding. Had Pop been our only stay, we would most likely never be going back, it was that insane and had I been alone on the trip without my husband and just my kids, I would have been a lot more upset.

I’m super glad that I’m on these boards because I just had a room check. Without The Dis, I would have been so confused. But I’ve been expecting it, so I was more bemused than anything.

So for more detail, I’ve been at POR since Saturday. I opted out of housekeeping and headed straight to Disney Springs and Epcot from about 12-7 on Day 1. On Sunday. I did a late morning at Animal Kingdom, then an afternoon room break (no room check) and then MK. Yesterday was Disney Springs and HS, again leaving the room late morning. I’m assuming that someone stopped by my room, but I wasn’t here to see it. Today has been a lazy day and other than getting breakfast, I haven’t left my room yet (though I’ll be heading to Epcot within the hour). I’ve been relaxing, reading, and painting my nails. And then there it was, about 15 minutes ago: a knock at the door. I knew that it was a room check, but the cast member said that he was “checking the lights”. And that’s what he did, flipping a few switches and then wishing me a good day. It was super weird and if I didn’t know why he was really there, then I wouldn’t have known what to think.

And just to add, I’m a solo traveler and didn’t feel unsafe or threatened in the slightest. The case member seemed almost apologetic and he clearly wanted to be out of my room as soon as possible. I actually felt a bit sorry for him.

I was at BC CL from 4/20-4/24. From the trash being emptied and the beds made I know housekeeping came each day, but never saw them (trash was always cleaned out by the time I was back from lunch so must have been in the 10-1 timeframe). As for room checks, never experienced it.

After checking in in Friday, about 3 we were in the room for a little over an hour, no one came to the room.

Saturday I was in the room until a little after 9. Then came back for an hour or so after lunch, which was about 1:30. Again no interruptions.

Sunday, after running the half marathon, I was back in the room from about 9-11. And again after lunch, from about 1:30-2:30. No body came to the door.

Monday rope dropped AK for FoP and stayed in AK until after lunch. Then spent from about 1-5 at the Epcot resorts going in & out of the room. Between those 4 hours was probably in the for a total of 2 1/2 hours and once more never had anyone come to the door.

DisneyMommyMichelle, which section of Pop were you in? Today is the last day of a ten day stay at Pop, and I have not had any knocking or intrusions, and I don’t leave the room until about 11:30 each day. I do leave the curtains wide open when I leave so they can glance in, and I did not decline housekeeping so my room has been serviced while I am out. I have had two trips at Pop since this started and both trips I have been in the 80’s section and so far (knocking on wood) I haven’t had any issues. It’s a shame that one resort can be so inconsistent.

4-19 to 4-27 2018. BRV.

Nothing happened. Oh, yes - waste cans cleaned daily. Other than that? No SWAT teams showed up, no underwear raids... pretty much a non-event :).
So - for US? No problems with the new system.

Now - PARKING? Far worse. We never drive, no car, DVC owners anyway.... But the SIDE effect of paid parking? HUGE lines at Security Entrance Gates. The POLY, at the least, is going to need $$$$$$$ in modifications to the Gated Security Entrance. The big issue? CARS back up, BUSES can not get in. Those Bus lanes are probably going to require SEVERE extension, at every WDW Hotel.

April 21 - 28: AKL, Jambo House, cash stay DVC room.

No mention of room checks at check-in. We had a "room occupied" sign but forgot to ever use it. Never had a CM knock or ask to enter other than to deliver a room service order that we requested on our last day. If I hadn't known about this new policy from these boards, I would have never been the wiser.

Only oddity was that one day we returned to the room to find a kitchen cabinet left wide open and the TV turned on. That was far weirder!

April 21st at All Star Movies, then April 22-28 at Yacht Club.

The morning we moved hotels I called Bell Services to transfer our luggage. About 10 minutes later they phoned back to say their guy couldn’t enter because I had the Room Occupied sign on the door. I opened the door and the cast member was sitting on his luggage cart waiting for a texting with his supervisor. I removed the sign and in he came. I have no complaint.

Each of our 6 nights at the Yacht Club we returned to the room in the afternoon and hung out at the pool, read in the balcony etc. Our room had always been made up (one day mousekeeping was just finishing when we returned). Nobody ever knocked. I did not see them knocking on other doors in the hallway. Nothing was different from any of our previous stays.

DisneyMommyMichelle, which section of Pop were you in? Today is the last day of a ten day stay at Pop, and I have not had any knocking or intrusions, and I don’t leave the room until about 11:30 each day. I do leave the curtains wide open when I leave so they can glance in, and I did not decline housekeeping so my room has been serviced while I am out. I have had two trips at Pop since this started and both trips I have been in the 80’s section and so far (knocking on wood) I haven’t had any issues. It’s a shame that one resort can be so inconsistent.

Last room in the 70s, newly remodeled room by the big wheel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter