Guest experiences with daily room checks

Status
Not open for further replies.
During my last stay at ASSp about a month ago I was there for 4 nights. The day before my last day I spent most of the afternoon in the room. There’s a knock on the door and it is someone from maintenance asking if the room is ok. He says he needs to change the battery in the door lock. I told him I was leaving the next day and and he could come back and do it then.

Since the new policy started in December 2017/January2018(?), we've stayed on site 6 or 7 times and the room checks have not weighed on my mind to the extent of some on this thread. In fact I didn't even realise this was still an issue until I came to answer another post on this forum.

Nobody has ever walked into my room unannounced, NEVER had a security check early in the morning before housekeeping started for the day (8:00 AM) or do I recall getting a security check after the first or second trip.
Guess I'm lucky that way as it's been a seamless nothing to think on process for us. I will point out that we have our room cleaned daily.
Since the policy began we have stayed at: Contemporary, Poly, YC, BWI and GF.

Last edited:
We just got back from a 10 night, triple split stay at All Star Movies (1 night), Fort Wilderness (6 nights), and All Star Music (3 nights).

At Movies, someone knocked on our door at 8:00 AM and then at 9:00 AM. We were only there one night, so I wasn't expecting anyone. I'm assuming it was actually housekeeping and not a room check. We had a late night at DAH and we're sleeping in. Regardless, next time I'll put a do not disturb sign on our door to see if that helps.

At Fort Wilderness, we had someone stop by our cabin one afternoon on our 4th or 5th day. He asked if we needed anything or if we had any concerns. I have no idea if someone stopped by each day, but we weren't around or noticed if anyone else did.

At Music, both afternoons someone knocked on our door. The first day when I answered the door, the CM went all the way into the bathroom. The second day, my son answered the door. The CM didn't come in at all.

Although it was a bit annoying, all the CMs we encountered always knocked. There was never a problem with one just walking in.

Stayed at CSR July 5-10. Had 2 connecting rooms. They checked each of them once, and called before they came. As the door was always open between the 2 rooms we said they could just check both at once, but they said they didn't need to. Not a big deal at all.

Stayed at BWI and Poly this month.

BWI-if we skipped HK no one knocked or called.
Poly-We skipped HK a few days and left the occupied sign on the door the days we did not want it. The days we did this, HK called and asked if we wanted HK and if not could they do a visual inspection. We said fine. We only had them come by once while in the room and asked them to come in an hour when we would be gone.

We were at POFQ for 12 days last year. We had daily housekeeping and other than that never had anyone else come to the door. The last day we were there our teens decided to take as their rest day and stayed mostly in the room other than the pool and arcade. No one came to "check" the room otherwise. In my opinion, while they may have this policy in place, I doubt they have the resources to check every room every day (other than regular housekeeping). I do believe this is why they have an opt out for housekeeping in some resorts.

I stayed at Pop in March. I couldnt find a DND or RO sign, but, thought nothing of it as I opted out of mousekeeping.
I swear they were aware of when I was in the room because my afternoon nap was disturbed every day despite my doing rope drop to 1-2pm in the parks every day.
I ended up complaining and this next trip I'm bringing my own sign that will be on my door when I'm in it, just in case.
My concern, as a solo female guest, is the security aspect, being expected to open the door to anyone who is not expected when they advise guests not to do precisely that.

We stayed in a DVC studio on points at the Polynesian late July/August. I called and asked if I could meet with a HK manager when we arrived. He said I couldn’t ask for a time slot for trash removal as I have done at BWV in the past because they can’t do that at the Poly, but could ask for a HK manager to do trash and towels. We were in and out of the room a lot as we stayed in the Oasis pool a long time each day and returned to the room to get drinks and snacks since our room was so close. The housekeeper only came once while we were in the room and he did knock. The other days the visit appeared to vary from mid morning through the afternoon. I always check whether the trash receptacles are empty when we return to the room so we know someone might be coming later. We tried to remember to use the room occupied sign and door bolt at all times when we were in room except when we were waiting for maintenance to fix the a/c and the room safe. HK didn’t knock or rush us out on departure day (we left right before 11 am). I saw them in the hall and told them we were vacating the room. We moved to the Dolphin after departure and had a do not disturb sign.

We’re at POFQ now half way through a 10 day stay. We did opt out of housekeeping.

We’ve had 2 security visits so far. One at about 10:45am and one at about 1:15pm.

The first time my family was sleeping, but I was up. He asked if he could turn on the lights. I said okay. He said he was here to check to see if we had enough towels. So he walked to the washroom and looked in the washroom, then he left.

The second time, we were all in our room. Security said he just wanted to make sure all the lights were working by the bathroom. So he walked in turned them on and quickly left.

So I was sitting out on a bench this morning drinking my coffee and I observed security going around on the second floor.

When people answered the door, security was in and out in about 10 seconds. When nobody answered the door, security knocked again and waited about 30-45 seconds before they entered with a key. Then they went into the room for about a minute, which doesn’t seem like a long time, but it is a lot longer then when people are in the room. It does make me wonder exactly where they check when they are in the room alone.

Last 2 visits were at pofq and por. Each was 4-5 days. No one ever came while we were in the rooms. We had no housekeeping.
Obviously No idea if they re in the room while we were out. Do they leave s note or anything .. like TSA when they unlock u baggage.

So we checked out of POFQ yesterday. We had 5 security checks in total during our ten days while we were in our room.

During the second last check my daughter was in the room by herself. She heard the knock and the man called out housekeeping so she knew who it was, but she ignored it. When security came in, he quickly and apologetically left when he saw her sitting on the bed by herself.

On the final check, the man said he was with the safety and security division of housekeeping. He simply said, I have to walk through your room to your washroom and make sure everyone is safe.

I appreciated his honesty, rather then the hokey, I’m checking to see if you have enough towels or I’m checking to see if your lights work.

Finishing up a 5 night stay at All Star Movies. Requested at check in to never have a room check between 12-3 for our toddlers nap time. No room check during that time on the first day, but the last 3 days they have come during her nap time. Even with my calling the 3rd and 4th day when we get back to our room to say absolutely no check until after 3. Very frustrating that my requests were not honored.

I haven't read through this thread because I never had any experiences one way or the other--until now--so I apologize for any repetition.

We checked in Wednesday at an Art of Animation family suite. Thursday was a resort/pool day for us, and security stopped by around 2. He checked both rooms and both bathrooms.

Then housekeeping came about 1/2 hour later. DD was napping and we'd only been there one night, so I asked the housekeeper to come back tomorrow (Friday).

About 15 minutes later, the same security guard came back, asking to check the room. I reminded him he'd already been through, and he apologized, looked at his phone and said he'd gotten a message to check our room. He didn't insist on coming in, though.

It was no bother (except I had started to nap by his second visit), but I think housekeeping and security definitely communicate/coordinate, probably to minimize intrusion (if housekeeping can inspect a room, security won't come in?).

Edit to add: I had put up the Room Occupied sign throughout the morning, while I was at the pool but DD was in the room (she's a teen). I can't remember if I took it down after I returned, so I'm not sure how much the sign affects security check timing.

When I complained to All-star movies that our request for no checks between 12-3 was not honored, I was told that you can request a specific time but that my request was not sent to the engineering department. However I believe there is just an issue with communication, I’m not sure that even if my request was sent that it would have been honored.

We checked out of the Poly after a four night stay a few days ago. We hadn’t planned to give up housekeeping, but there was always someone in our room for the first two days so we didn’t need it. We left the room occupied sign on the door.

On the second day, we got a phone call at about 2pm. asking when it was a good time to do a room check. We said anytime, so a man showed up about ten minutes later. He walked around the room turning the lights on and off.

On the third day we got housekeeping.

We were at Movies for 3 nights this weekend. We had housekeeping on Saturday, so no room check that I know of. We got back to the room Sunday at about 2:20. The housekeeper’s cart was 2 rooms away but our room hadn’t been serviced yet. We were so hot & tired I put the room occupied sign up & we took a quick nap. As we were getting ready to leave the room around 4, we got a quick knock on the door. I thought it was our son, so didn’t check the peep hole. I was sitting right next to the door putting my shoes on so just reached over & opened it. There was a CM with either a clipboard or IPad, it was so quick I didn’t even get a good look. He smiled & only said “hi, is everything ok?”. I said yes, we’re good. He smiled & off he went. Now that door is pretty heavy & I was sitting down, so the door was not opened all the way, just a small crack. He did not look around inside or ask to come in. I said to my DH, I guess that was our room check because housekeeping didn’t come in. :confused3

When we got back that night, housekeeping had serviced the room after we left. That was a nice surprise. I figured we would just have missed it for the day.

In April of 2018 early in a VGF stay, someone knocked on our door when the “Room Occupied” sign was there. I told the person politely but firmly never to knock on our door when that sign was there. He apologized, said he would make a note of my request, and it never happened again.

Since then we have stayed at VGC twice as well as BLT and PVB, and nobody has ever so much as knocked on our door when the “Room Occupied” sign was there. Sometimes on non-housekeeping days someone has knocked when the sign wasn’t there, offering extra towels and asking if our trash needed to be emptied, but never demanding entry, and letting me just take the extra towels at the door if I wanted them, without coming into the room.

So for us this new policy has been fine. With one single exception in 2018 the “Room Occupied” sign has functioned exactly the same as the old “Do Not Disturb” signs. And we now have daily trash removal in our DVC rooms, which means many fewer trips to the trash room for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!