Guest experiences with daily room checks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stayed at Poly CL from dec. 7-14 and the room was always cleaned while we were out and we never got a knock on the door for a room check.

Housekeeping were in while we were out during our recent 3 night club level stay at the GDT. One day HK called us on the day we went back to our room after 2 pm when we went to AK. We told them give us 5 minutes and we will head to the club lounge. Not sure why they didn’t take care of it earlier since the occupied sign was not on the door while we were at AK all day until after 2 pm. They did a very good job cleaning.

We were AoA Cars Suite Building 3 in November.

My only, and I stress only, problem was the lack of attention to the tiny coffee bar in the room. While I was a very active user of the Joffey's 90th Anniversary blend in the room, it would not get refilled unless I asked. We learned on the morning of our Day 3 that when I had my 12 year old write a note just for giggles, it miraculously got topped off with more coffee pods.

The next day I thought we had this licked and even though I used all the black coffee pods available and made the usage very evident, the next morning without a note, I had none again.

So for the remaining mornings my 9 year old and 12 year old took turns writing the note for more coffee. Only then did I get my pod refills. Very strange!

But outside of that, our room service was perfect. No problems with getting back at 1pm or 9pm. Room was always refreshed.

My husband and I were at POFQ Dec 8-12 then Boardwalk Dec 12-16 and we never experienced a room check. Rooms were cleaned and coffee and toiletries replenished each day. We had zero issues at both resorts.

We split-stayed AKL and BWI 11-30 to 12/15, and if we hadn't taken the occupied sign off the door by mid-afternoon, we would get a phone call asking us if we needed housekeeping to come in and clean, and adding if we didn't, that they would need to come in and do a room check. Didn't mind at all, understood completely.

We stayed at POP 12/15 to 12/22. Only experienced the daily check once. Most days we were at the parks but one day we came back early and got a knock on the door. A man came in with a clip board and introduced himself and he asked if he could look in the bathroom. I said sure and he took a look around and thanked me and then left.

Stayed at AKL Jambo House, 5th floor with rented DVC points from 12/20 to 12/30. Our trash was emptied every day when we were out. One afternoon my daughter and I were napping with the "room occupied" sign on the door. A light tapping knock and then a cast member entered our room. Neither of us moved. She was very quick and said, "sorry, sorry, sorry." Luckily, I continued to sleep. If I'd arisen to answer the door, my nap would have been unhappily over.

During my mid December trip this year at BC I basically let housekeeping in everyday day to take garbage/towel change and that was it --- except one day. The one weird thing that I felt uncomfortable with was --- I didn't have a room occupied sign available in the room and one day I was in the room as I wasn't feeling well and hadn't put on the interior latch --- and 2 guys just came barging into the door to "check the wifi equipment" (at least thats what they said.) They knocked but came in the room within about 2 seconds despite me yelling to say wait just a minute --- from now on if I'm in the room the latch is on. So didn't love this -- not sure it was a security thing or a bone-headed contractor thing.

I was at Pop Jan. 12-17 and opted out of daily housekeeping. I did notice I had security checks the first three days because the lights were left on. I'd turned them of before I left that day. The lights were off the last day, so I can't tell if I had a check or not. I was at the parks all day, so it wasn't a big deal.

Stayed at All Star Movies from January 23-30 and experienced 3 room checks during times I was present. I don’t know if they came at any time I wasn’t there. I did not have any kind of a “room occupied” sign to hang on my door. Knowing that these check were a possibility, I always used the deadbolt and the flip latch thing so I couldn’t be randomly interrupted in a shower or nap (I sleep like the dead, so a polite knock would never wake me)
Sunday 1/26, about 12:30PM: guy came and banged, not knocked, on the door and after I answered it, walked in room, looked around and left.
Monday 1/27, about 12:20PM: guy comes and softly knocks on the door, asks if everything is ok with the room, and leaves, never wanted to come in.
Tuesday 1/28, about 2:30PM: guy comes and knocks on the door, and after I answer it, comes all the way into the room, turns on the bathroom lights, runs water in the sink, and flushes the toilet, then leaves.

At BWV on DVC points January 26 - February 1. Many days we stayed in the room until near noon then were out until late afternoon or early evening, other days we left very early for ROTR at DHS and returned mid-morning and left again early afternoon. We kept the Room Occupied sign out and the latch thrown when we were in. Room checks (and trash collection) always occurred while we were out.

Stayed at AoA Little Mermaid room last week, January 25-February 1. We declined housekeeping. One day we were in the room around 3 PM, and received a room check. Thankfully we weren't trying to sleep. He came in, glanced around, looked at the thermostat, and left. Another day we got a knock on the door late morning. We were sleeping in and not up yet, although luckily awake. Not too happy about that one. Room occupied sign was on the door for both of these room checks.

I was at Pop Jan. 12-17 and opted out of daily housekeeping. I did notice I had security checks the first three days because the lights were left on. I'd turned them of before I left that day. The lights were off the last day, so I can't tell if I had a check or not. I was at the parks all day, so it wasn't a big deal.
I was at POR about a year ago and opted out of Mousekeeping. The funny thing was, in my case, I knew they’d checked our room because lights/tv were turned off! As a habit as a female who sometimes travels alone, I either leave a light on or the tv on (sound low but on) to make the room appear occupied. I was traveling with my nieces, and we did that as there were times one of us would head back to the room alone. Several afternoons, all or one of us returned to a pitch dark room, so they’d definitely checked our room.

We were at Pop Jan 21-28. I had housekeeping every day, and no checks. My parents in the connecting room had no housekeeping, and had room checks every day, even when we left the connecting doors wide open.

My dad was sick, so Dad spent most of every day sleeping, and was woken by the room checks. On the last day, I went over to chat with them, because it was upsetting Mom. They said that we could call when we were leaving the room, and ask to be checked at a specific time (like before 1:30pm or after 5pm). Apparently housekeepers aren't allowed to look through the connecting doors.

In case it affected things, because Dad was sick and often sleeping, we managed all the housekeeping supplies (extra towels/blankets and trash pickup) through my room. So on paper, their room had no housekeeping, and never called for trash or new towels.

AllStars Movies for 2 nights in January - opted out of housekeeping and only used the sign when we actually were in the room (saw several people use it as they left for the day) and kept the latch thingee closed whenever we both were in the room. Came back one night to a cute little anniversary card & chocolates so guess that classifies as a room check.

Next 18 nights at POFQ - opted out of housekeeping for the reservation in the middle since we rarely use housekeeping anyway, pay me $130 for that? Heck YEAH! Same process as above, one night returned to a MUCH bigger gift & balloons, so room check done. Twice we had that "you don't really need to be checked but i gotta do this" while we were in the room. Called for sheets and answered the door to a flustered woman who insisted on using her own key to "check your locks". The best though? One day I was headed to get hubby's coffee as our security check was happening --that was awkward (for THEM not me) because i just threw the door wide open "Sure have at it, but you might want to stop at the end of the bed, my husband's in the shower and he doesn't like to shut the door." He sputtered an apology and shoved the paper in my hand while backing up -- it was explaining how opting out of housekeeping works (odd since this was day 13 of 14, think we knew by then!)

Disney is in the process of removing the Do Not Disturb door hangers from resort rooms, and replacing them with Occupied door hangers. They will begin checking guest rooms daily. This daily check should normally be covered by housekeeping, but guests may receive a visit from security.

At the moment, there seems to be a lot of variability in the way this policy is being implemented. Please use this thread to post your experiences with these checks.

Ground rules:

1) GUEST REPORTS ONLY. Posts on this thread should only be actual reports of your experiences while staying at a Disney resort. If it’s not a guest report, it will be removed. There’s a thread on the Resorts board for questions and comments about the room check policy.

2) Do not copy and paste reports that you found on Facebook, Twitter, or other social media or message boards. Posts on this thread should be about YOUR experience.

3) When posting a report, please include the name of the resort. Experiences with room checks can vary across resorts, so that’s useful info for readers to know.

Disney is in the process of removing the Do Not Disturb door hangers from resort rooms, and replacing them with Occupied door hangers. They will begin checking guest rooms daily. This daily check should normally be covered by housekeeping, but guests may receive a visit from security.

At the moment, there seems to be a lot of variability in the way this policy is being implemented. Please use this thread to post your experiences with these checks.

Ground rules:

1) GUEST REPORTS ONLY. Posts on this thread should only be actual reports of your experiences while staying at a Disney resort. If it’s not a guest report, it will be removed. There’s a thread on the Resorts board for questions and comments about the room check policy.

2) Do not copy and paste reports that you found on Facebook, Twitter, or other social media or message boards. Posts on this thread should be about YOUR experience.

3) When posting a report, please include the name of the resort. Experiences with room checks can vary across resorts, so that’s useful info for readers to know.
We stayed for two nights at Art of Animation and nine nights at Pop Century, over Thanksgiving and into December.
In both rooms we’d opted out of housekeeping. Four nights into the stay at Pop, housekeeping came in and changed the sheets and cleaned the room. Otherwise we picked up our own clean towels and got rid of our own trash as no one ever came in as far as we could tell.

Housekeeping is the room check.

Not always.

I posted this below, my experience, back after my last onsite visit. They were very clear with me that getting housekeeping does not automatically exclude you from security checks. And there have been enough posts to back this up. I just don't want anyone caught off-guard if they get both. There are no guarantees and if you red flag, you will likely get checked at the next level.

Since we red flag ... we no longer stay onsite.

My last onsite stay was January for a week, All Star Sports. It was my first onsite stay in a year even though I go about 6 times a year. I moved offsite after a horrible experience with room checks last January at POP. I was given the offer to decline Mousekeeping. I said no because I did not want to deal with the room checks. I was clear I was giving Disney another chance but if I am treated the same way, this would be our last stay. I am traveling alone with a disabled son and no way I am letting them in if we are there. The response basically "Room Checks can happen whether you get Mousekeeping or not. Having Mousekeeping will not stop the checks." He was a full-time CM and very clear about it. He did call me after I arrived in our room to help me set a block of time they could come in the room that we would be gone. It worked out for us, but I'm sure it was due to his special needs.

I did not doubt him, and based on varied stories ... I don't think opting out changes anything in the "rules" just sometimes the process happens by Mousekeeping and sometimes by others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter