Guests Managing Expectations When Comparing Disneyland Paris To the Other Parks

As an American, I was not offended. I wish I would have had a thread like this a few years ago when I went to DLP. It was an absolute disappointment. Dirty, tons of gross cigarette smoke, and miserable cast members.

I actually take it as a compliment that someone would start this thread knowing that American standards are much higher than what DLP has to offer.

I'm sorry to hear that, but yeah, the parks weren't their best. I hope now things are improving, you have a chance one day to go back.

I've also heard that many of these things have improved recently since Disney took over control of the park.

It is definitely getting better, but there will always be differences in mentality.
The smoking is getting less, but it will take a generation or two before that problem is really solved. I have CMs getting more assertive, addressing it to guests, and pointing them in the direction of the designated areas. However, so many guests and some are not willing to change their habits (yet).

And the main difference, to me, in mentality is that Disney is not so embedded in French / European culture as it is in the US. We didn't get Walt Disney's cartoons & animations till years later, never had the television shows, and I guess maybe less than 1% had visited a Disney Park before Disneyland Paris opened. Therefore the dream that a lot of CMs in the US have to work for Disney, isnt the dream job here.

Also unemployment rates in France have been a lot higher the last decades (10% vs 4% or less in the UK or Germany), there are a lot of social issues in France (now getting to a climax with the fellow vests), and that reflects on the CMs, as the majority are from France. Some of them can just be lucky to have job, but how happy can you be if you do not like your job?

But still, all the wonderful CMs who do help spreading the pixiedust, will never be the same as their US colleagues, as it is a different culture.
Other example, to Europeans the constant smiles and happiness of US CMs can feel fake or over-the-top. Then to US guests the CMs can feel subdued.

Which you also see in sit-down restaurants, I cannot stand to have a waiter at my table every minute to ask if I am ok, but that is part of US culture. In Europe it's not that your waiter isnt interested, but it's that you are having a nice meal with friends or family, and it is w bit rude to interrupt your conversation to (most likely) get the answer that everything is alright.

Last edited:
As an American, I was not offended. I wish I would have had a thread like this a few years ago when I went to DLP. It was an absolute disappointment. Dirty, tons of gross cigarette smoke, and miserable cast members.

I actually take it as a compliment that someone would start this thread knowing that American standards are much higher than what DLP has to offer.

I would say US standards are different rather than higher.

Most CMs aren’t miserable they are just not over the top friendly like in the US, which many Europeans find offputting.

The smoking part is frustrating but it’s just a different culture where smoking is acceptable.

There are many areas where people might think US standards are lower but it is generally just a cultural difference

I would say US standards are different rather than higher.

Agreed (said as a Canadian who lived in the US and now lives in Europe. And travels through Africa (and somewhat other areas - Middle-East, Asia, South America) for work regularly.

The smoking part is frustrating but it’s just a different culture where smoking is acceptable.

To some extent, I agree with "it's just a culture difference", but not completely. The smoking for example. I know it is cultural thing but I strongly dislike all the smoking here (thankfully, the entire campus where I work is smoke free). If I'm at a hotel that allows smoking (like the one I was in last week where the only stipulation that I could find was "don't smoke under smoke detectors" and all rooms had ashtrays), I'll note it is a negative if I were doing a review. Yes, it is cultural, but that doesn't make it smell any better. It is one of the things I like when I travel in US/Canada - I don't have to worry about asking for a non-smoking room.

Which you also see in sit-down restaurants, I cannot stand to have a waiter at my table every minute to ask if I am ok, but that is part of US culture. In Europe it's not that your waiter isnt interested, but it's that you are having a nice meal with friends or family, and it is w bit rude to interrupt your conversation to (most likely) get the answer that everything is alright.

This will be a welcome difference for me I think. I don't like waiters hovering just like I can't stand salespeople pouncing on you when you enter a store and asking you multiple times if you're finding everything okay or making suggestions... I avoid stores where I know they'll do that. :laughing:

Most CMs aren’t miserable they are just not over the top friendly like in the US, which many Europeans find offputting.

What I experienced at DLP was well beyond the forced “I’m too hip and cool to smile”. It was downright miserable employees. And believe me, they aren’t miserable because they have to clean the bathrooms. Nobody is cleaning the bathrooms at DLP:crazy2:

Frustrating and gross. The person blowing smoke into a baby’s face would most likely be the same person looking down on Americans for being obese. “Look at those fat Americans. Here baby, have some smoke, it’s part of our culture.” To me, both obesity and smoking are very unhealthy and neither should be passed off as culture.

I did not enjoy DLP. Again, I wish I would have read the OP's thread prior to going so my expectations and standards would have been lowered.

This was my thought. I took it as a compliment also. I haven't been to DLP, but I have been to Europe a few times. I've learned to lower my expectations for customers service a lot when abroad. The service in restaurants is very poor, but the positive is you don't have to tip.

This was my thought. I took it as a compliment also. I haven't been to DLP, but I have been to Europe a few times. I've learned to lower my expectations for customers service a lot when abroad. The service in restaurants is very poor, but the positive is you don't have to tip.

There are NO Mickey Bars onsale

Now this mkes me cry! Mickey bars are my favorite food ever! Guess I’ll need to eat my weight in crepes instead

American visitors need to adjust their expectations, clothes sizes are smaller, there is less variety of merchandise, guests are not into the wearing of Disney clothes or Mouse Ears or pin lanyards in the pins.

Well I guess my remy mouse ears and Minnie shirts will be a sight for everyone to see!!

All joking aside very helpful thread! I went once years ago (20! How was it 20 years already) and while I don’t really remember all the details I remember having fun, and I’m really looking forward to this trip!

I found this thread to be very helpful. Thank you! I’m American and definitely wasn’t offended. I’ve been to WDW and stayed on property at various resorts, so for me, that’s the Disney that is in my mind.

I visited Disneyland Paris once in 1998 (like Lauren above, how is it that long ago?!?) for one day. I don’t remember that much about it other than it was November, it was cold, the Xmas decorations were really pretty, and it wasn’t crowded at all.

Our family is really looking forward to our visit! The only thing I’m not looking forward to is the smoking. I’m fine with designated areas because I can just avoid them, but I’ll have a hard time if someone near me in a line is smoking. I will need to prepare my kids and earn them not to say anything negative (because I’m sure my no filter kids will comment).

I found this thread to be very helpful. Thank you! I’m American and definitely wasn’t offended. I’ve been to WDW and stayed on property at various resorts, so for me, that’s the Disney that is in my mind.

I visited Disneyland Paris once in 1998 (like Lauren above, how is it that long ago?!?) for one day. I don’t remember that much about it other than it was November, it was cold, the Xmas decorations were really pretty, and it wasn’t crowded at all.

Our family is really looking forward to our visit! The only thing I’m not looking forward to is the smoking. I’m fine with designated areas because I can just avoid them, but I’ll have a hard time if someone near me in a line is smoking. I will need to prepare my kids and earn them not to say anything negative (because I’m sure my no filter kids will comment).

You are welcome :) Disneyland Paris is very different to WDW, its closer to Disneyland California in park layout and Fastpass system. If your no filter American kids do say something to a smoker, most likely they will be given the stink eye and a rapid telling off in French. lol. Just be careful though, I have seen reports of kids being burned by cigarettes being held at low level, sorry dont mean to scare you,

Oh, no, my kids wouldn’t actually say something to a smoker. They would just say something to me or my DH or to each other. Rude, but not extreme.

Where we live (MA) there is no smoking in public places. Not restaurants, bars, malls, hotels, businesses, etc. You also can’t smoke within so many feet of an entrance to a building. You don’t even have “no smoking” hotel rooms because they are all no smoking. It’s truly rare to see someone smoking here. Not that it isn’t done.

When we were in Chicago a few years ago, there were many more people smoking just walking on the street. The kids just commented to us that they didn’t like the smell.

On our way to the Outer Banks in North Carolina about 2 years ago, we stayed at a Holiday Inn in Virginia on my DH’s points. We got there late and the only room left (or that they used for free points stays) was a smoking room. OMG! I had a headache the whole night. Kids complained and never wanted to stay in a holiday inn again. lol! It’s just not something we think about HP here.

Oh wow! This is really helpful!

I am thinking about squeezing in my first Disneyland Paris trip end of August/beginning of September... never been there (to be honest I‘ve only been to DL and no other parks at all) so this thread is really helpful! So I can „manage“ my expectations (Even though I am German and „know“ the European way... comparing Disneyland Paris with the American parks helps a lot...
so thank you for writing all those comparisons down! That’s a great start...

I returned from my first visit to DLP a few weeks ago, and we loved it! Due to having read a lot on these boards to be prepared, our expectations were appropriately managed and we didn’t focus on the negatives.

American visitors need to adjust their expectations, clothes sizes are smaller, there is less variety of merchandise, guests are not into the wearing of Disney clothes or Mouse Ears or pin lanyards in the pins.

I do have to point out that the statement above is NOT really accurate when it comes to Mouse Ears. We saw MANY people wearing Mouse Ears, and most of them were not Americans.

The smoking wasn’t as bad as I was preparing for, thank goodness.

The food was about as described, basically subpar to average. This I do not understand at all. This park is in a country known for amazing food, so why can’t they manage to improve the quality in the park restaurants? (And no, @BadPinkTink, it’s not because we’re Americans and we don’t appreciate European style food. We’ve eaten and loved food all over Europe, including your country of Ireland, and the food at DLP is just not good.)

I returned from my first visit to DLP a few weeks ago, and we loved it! Due to having read a lot on these boards to be prepared, our expectations were appropriately managed and we didn’t focus on the negatives.

I do have to point out that the statement above is NOT really accurate when it comes to Mouse Ears. We saw MANY people wearing Mouse Ears, and most of them were not Americans.

The smoking wasn’t as bad as I was preparing for, thank goodness.

The food was about as described, basically subpar to average. This I do not understand at all. This park is in a country known for amazing food, so why can’t they manage to improve the quality in the park restaurants? (And no, @BadPinkTink, it’s not because we’re Americans and we don’t appreciate European style food. We’ve eaten and loved food all over Europe, including your country of Ireland, and the food at DLP is just not good.)

I think nowadays DLP is really pushing the sale of Ears, it's constantly on Social Media when a new one is released, like now for the new Aladdin movie.

I think there is a consensus that food at DLP is not that good ;-)
There is a book about Disney & Customer Experience (the title escapes me), but it's written by a lifelong Disney employee who started at Disney World and then became in charge of food when DLP opened. I have to re-read it, but back in 1992 they really tried to make an effort as the park is in France, and French cuisine was so big and important etc. What I think what happened was that either because DLP wasn't bringing in the guests they had expected, they let it slip as they had enough problems already.
Or the other way around, because dining is such a part of French culture a meal can easily take a few hours when you are in a regular French restaurant. In a theme park, you do not want your guests to linger for that long. They have to get back into the park asap and spend more money. How do you get people out of your restaurant quickly... by serving average food, perhaps ;-)

Last edited:
I think there is a consensus that food at DLP is not that good ;-)
There is a book about Disney & Customer Experience (the title escapes me), but it's written by a lifelong Disney employee who started at Disney World and then became in charge of food when DLP opened. I have to re-read it, but back in 1992 they really tried to make an effort as the park is in France, and French cuisine was so big and important etc. What I think what happened was that either because DLP wasn't bringing in the guests they had expected, they let it slip as they had enough problems already.

The mistake I made when I visited DLP was forgetting I was in Europe and trying to find the flavors I usually crave when I visit DLR (Which is mostly Mexican and Southern US).

As a result, my only real complaint was that I wasn’t too impressed with the food at DLP. (It was a single day trip so I was going for just counter service and tried Fuente Del Oro and Casey’s Corner)

I’ve not had good American/Mexican/Asian style food in Europe (Not saying it’s impossible, I just haven’t found it. Lol). There is always something different or missing in the flavor or texture. I usually prefer eating local cuisine over something foreign to the region when I travel and have had much better experiences with that approach.

The next time I visit, I think I’ll research the food choices a little more and figure out what may be better. I’ve read a couple good reviews around Toad Hall’s fish and chips.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter