Guests Reportedly Asked Not to Use Any Wall-Mounted Beds at Disney’s Riviera Resort December 25, 2019

Drewferin

DIS Veteran
Last edited:
Same is true of the refurb 1BRs at Saratoga. People are being asked not to use 'em.

I suspect they're moving folks from TS... somewhere. That's 24 parties of 2 to squeeze in somewhere.

Having the beds taken out of service at midnight on Christmas Eve (Having children woken up and potentially relocated) is worth alot more than a couple fast passes per person... These wall beds are in the tower studios, 1 bedrooms, and 2 bedroom units. I'm sure alot of people are unhappy about spending $1k a night in cash for an air mattress on the floor.

Having the beds taken out of service at midnight on Christmas Eve (Having children woken up and potentially relocated) is worth alot more than a couple fast passes per person... These wall beds are in the tower studios, 1 bedrooms, and 2 bedroom units. I'm sure alot of people are unhappy about spending $1k a night in cash for an air mattress on the floor.

I know I'd be asking for more than a fp+ if I was told I couldn't use the sofa and had to sleep on the floor. Nope. I imagine they have some not too happy guests.

Duuuuude, that's terrible. It did seem a little fishy that there was a 'do not open' sign on the model room's sofa murphy bed, now come to think about it. And agree - not enough fastpasses in the world to appease me if I had to sleep on an air mattress. on the floor. on Christmas Eve. for loads of moolah. Wow.

They are in the regular studios as well. Basically every room in the hotel except the 12 grand villas at the resort. This is a real mess and I am very concerned as an owner at this resort. Hopefully they find a fix to the issues with these beds, but I fear in the end these beds will be taken out and replaced by the standard fold out sofa beds. This will really alter the room feature that really sealed the deal for me buying at this resort. Not to mention if they have to replace all of these I can only imagine the resort maintenance fees will really increase next year.

I fear in the end these beds will be taken out and replaced by the standard fold out sofa beds. This will really alter the room feature that really sealed the deal for me buying at this resort. Not to mention if they have to replace all of these I
A change like that has never been unlikely over 50 years. Just ask a BCV or BWV owner about bed changes.

If these fold down beds get taken completely out of RIV this will cause alot of disdain among owners. I bought a small Riviera contract to be used every 2 to 3 years, but as a family of 5 we really are counting on a studio fitting 5.

If DVC makes setup changes to RIV this will also negatively impact resale prices in addition to the resale restrictions. I forecast RIV direct sales will suffer from the dresser bed issue and now the fold down bed issues... Not happy to hear about these issues and feel bad for the people currently impacted. DVC better have quality comps and PR on these issues.

Just think all of these issues can be yours for the low low price of $188 a point or $195 a point here soon...

I am just surprised that they are having so much trouble as when I stayed at one of the cabins in FW, there was a Murphy bed And never heard of issues there.

Is it the sofa part that has impacted this? Or just that whoever was hired to install these isnt good at their job? Or just sub par product

It is a worrisome development.

I'm surprised too. They've been in use at the POP and one of the All stare for many months without a problem. If they got any problem with installation it can be fixed. It'll cause some embarrassment now but I wouldn't fear for long term issues.

I'm surprised too. They've been in use at the POP and one of the All stare for many months without a problem. If they got any problem with installation it can be fixed. It'll cause some embarrassment now but I wouldn't fear for long term issues.
Yes you are correct these type of beds have been used prior at other resorts without issue for sometime, but I believe these ones are different as they have the couch and not the table. It may be possible the couch is the issue if the bed is not completely closed and then somebody sits on the couch. The couch is made to fold back into the unit. If the bed is not fully closed it may be possible when somebody sits in the couch their weight pushing back on the couch is making the bed above move slightly outward and is startling people. I know it does take quite a bit of effort to actually get the bed down. I doubt the beds are moving much when this happens, but it was enough to cause Disney to error on the side of caution and take them out of service. What I find odd is the 5th sleepers which appeared to be looked at prior and deemed the one that fell was an installation issue and were then cleared to be used are now out of service again.

There must be more to this than the few social media reports we have heard about in the past few days that drove their decision to take all of these out of service on the night of Christmas Eve of all nights.

Will be interesting to see if this is a failure of the bed mechanism itself or user error which leads to the bed not operating as it should or installation error. If it is a failure of the bed mechanism or installation errors one would think these could be fixed. It’s the user error scenario that concerns me as there is no way to make sure everybody is fully closing the beds prior to sitting on the couch. This would require a possible re-design of the bed system which is not a quick or easy fix. This is where I could see the sofa beds coming into the equation, as they cannot operate for an extended time with these Murphy beds out of service and will need a quick solution.

Yes you are correct these type of beds have been used prior at other resorts without issue for sometime, but I believe these ones are different as they have the couch and not the table. It may be possible the couch is the issue if the bed is not completely closed and then somebody sits on the couch. The couch is made to fold back into the unit. If the bed is not fully closed it may be possible when somebody sits in the couch their weight pushing back on the couch is making the bed above move slightly outward and is startling people. I know it does take quite a bit of effort to actually get the bed down. I doubt the beds are moving much when this happens, but it was enough to cause Disney to error on the side of caution and take them out of service. What I find odd is the 5th sleepers which appeared to be looked at prior and deemed the one that fell was an installation issue and were then cleared to be used are now out of service again.

There must be more to this than the few social media reports we have heard about in the past few days that drove their decision to take all of these out of service on the night of Christmas Eve of all nights.

Will be interesting to see if this is a failure of the bed mechanism itself or user error which leads to the bed not operating as it should or installation error. If it is a failure of the bed mechanism or installation errors one would think these could be fixed. It’s the user error scenario that concerns me as there is no way to make sure everybody is fully closing the beds prior to sitting on the couch. This would require a possible re-design of the bed system which is not a quick or easy fix. This is where I could see the sofa beds coming into the equation, as they cannot operate for an extended time with these Murphy beds out of service and will need a quick solution.

That makes sense about the couch as you are right, the other ones just go back in without the couch option. You are right..it won’t be an easy fix if user error can cause this to happen.

If I had to wager a guess, I would wonder if a decision came down from Disney’s risk management (i.e. attorneys) that the beds needed to be inspected prior to further use. The late night announcement, haphazard plan (i.e. mattresses on the floor in front of the unit) and reported “use at your own risk” language sounds like a risk management thing to me.

If that’s the case, it could be that all Disney needs to do is perform an inspection and perhaps install some sort of Murphy bed latching/locking mechanism (they exist) as a further safe guard. Or maybe even as simple as some further educational material in the room such as, “don’t raise the bed with blankets, pillows, etc. inside” or “make sure the bed is flush with the rest of the unit prior to sitting on the sofa”.

Even if there is a "bump-out" effect with weight on the sofa, that can be stopped by the use of rotating frame blocks. Most older-model wall beds have these built on as part of the trim; they manually block the mattress deck from lowering unless you rotate them out of the path first.

In the case of the bed that collapsed, the story I read was that the frame came off the wall and pinned the (adult) guest on the mattress underneath it. It was heavy, and took two adults to lift it off her. She wasn't much physically injured, just shook up, but imagine if that were a solo guest sleeping in a tower studio. I agree that this is definitely a risk-mgmt issue. The frames will end up double-anchored to the walls, just in case, but it will take a bit of time to get them all done.

Even if there is a "bump-out" effect with weight on the sofa, that can be stopped by the use of rotating frame blocks. Most older-model wall beds have these built on as part of the trim; they manually block the mattress deck from lowering unless you rotate them out of the path first.

In the case of the bed that collapsed, the story I read was that the frame came off the wall and pinned the (adult) guest on the mattress underneath it. It was heavy, and took two adults to lift it off her. She wasn't much physically injured, just shook up, but imagine if that were a solo guest sleeping in a tower studio. I agree that this is definitely a risk-mgmt issue. The frames will end up double-anchored to the walls, just in case, but it will take a bit of time to get them all done.
Now that wasn't the murphy bed that pulls out of the wall in the towers that fell. She was sleeping in the small bed under the TV which had two poor excuses of anchors attached to what just looked like drywall. With the murphy bed I read that the adult guest was a man about 6'1" so he probably had enough weight alone to move the bed if it was put up correctly

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter