Guests Reportedly Asked Not to Use Any Wall-Mounted Beds at Disney’s Riviera Resort December 25, 2019

UPDATE: Checked in this evening without incident, my children are currently sleeping on the Large Bed of Death and nothing has fallen on them yet.

No warning signs, and the bed took both of us to pull down and slide out. Initial impression: sturdy construction not likely to fall on anyone sitting on the couch. I am wondering if the downtime was a liability/risk prevention issue - maybe they checked every queen Murphy to make sure there was no way that vigorous sitting could possibly dislodge the bed.

I sure would like to know what actually happened with a queen Murphy (whether at RIV or SSR) to cause such a disruption.

UPDATE: Checked in this evening without incident, my children are currently sleeping on the Large Bed of Death and nothing has fallen on them yet.

No warning signs, and the bed took both of us to pull down and slide out. Initial impression: sturdy construction not likely to fall on anyone sitting on the couch. I am wondering if the downtime was a liability/risk prevention issue - maybe they checked every queen Murphy to make sure there was no way that vigorous sitting could possibly dislodge the bed.

I sure would like to know what actually happened with a queen Murphy (whether at RIV or SSR) to cause such a disruption.

Awesome. Thanks for this update. We are headed there (to Riviera, 1 BR) on Tuesday. One less thing to wonder / stress about.

I wonder if there was a tension setting that they went around and tightened making it more difficult to pull down but keeping it from accidentally falling down.

Or Disney may look at it as "substantially similar." That buys them a lot of latitude, apparently.
Except, through two full renovations and many soft renovations at OKW since 1992, the configuration has not changed.
True. But for the past three decades we have also been told that the number of points at each resort couldn't change either, and then last year happened. So I'm not as comfortable using past precedent as a predictor of future behavior as I once was.

I wonder if there was a tension setting that they went around and tightened making it more difficult to pull down but keeping it from accidentally falling down.

I was wondering if they did the opposite causing the bed to fall down. We were in a 1 Bedroom opening day and the beds were hard to pull down.

True. But for the past three decades we have also been told that the number of points at each resort couldn't change either, and then last year happened. So I'm not as comfortable using past precedent as a predictor of future behavior as I once was.
The same three decades that told us any new resort entering the BVTC system had to have agreements that were “substantially similar” to existing agreements.

Womp womp.

Husband and I had a small debate about this. He said well you have to be safe, if they’re not made well then you have to sleep on mattresses on the floor what else can you do? I was like um I’d be so mad!! Especially with high point season in place or peak cash prices. I get that it’s a new resort and will have kinks to work out, but I still would be upset

I TOTALLY agree with you! I would definitely be upset!

Last edited:
I wonder if they will also post total weight limits. Is the bed in a TS built for a Pooh sized couple? Betting not.
My husband and I were just talking about this! I’m 6’, hes 6’5”, even if we were at our skinniest we doubt these beds are built for a couple our size (or a couple our size to be doing the things couples tend to do in beds on vacation which would concentrate our weight and not spread it out over the total surface).

I was wondering if they did the opposite causing the bed to fall down. We were in a 1 Bedroom opening day and the beds were hard to pull down.
I was wondering about the beds as I had heard guides weren’t opening them in the display rooms. Did you find the tension made it too difficult for one person to pull down on their own?

I agree that it would be something that shouldnt be happening and it would be frustrating to have to use an air mattress or switch resorts..However, accidents happen and while yes, this is a big deal, there really is only so much they could do last mInute to ensure safety.

Now, if there was no offer at all to move them to another resort the next day, or compensation offered for continued agreement to use an air mattress, then yes, I would be upset and actually complain.

On December 24th, With Children, having to move at midnight? Children stressed about Santa knowing which room to come too? I'd be super pissed. Some serious compensation would be needed. You can believe that.

On December 24th, With Children, having to move at midnight? Children stressed about Santa knowing which room to come too? I'd be super pissed. Some serious compensation would be needed. You can believe that.
Oh I didn’t even think of the Santa aspect. This is so so bad. Id be behind pissed too

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter