Guidebook to WDW for the handicapped?

teachbrooks

Earning My Ears
Does one exist?
If the answer is no, Wheelsie and Sue have you or any of your many expert friends ever considered writing one? It would be a service to the many individuals and families that are seeking just such information. After reading these boards, I know that you have the ability to write informative and interesting articles. I would buy one from you immediately upon publication.
One needs to be written by someone with intimate knowledge of the problems encountered by the handicapped. If you haven't walked or rolled in their shoes, you just don't understand the lay of the land as illustrated by your excellent answers to my question about taking my sister to a resort convenient to Epcot and the problem with wheelchairs and some so called handicapped resort rooms.
Anyway, just my thought for the day while doing the dishes.
Have a beautiful Sabbath.
Karen

teachbrooks

We have talked about it for about a year now... hey, at least we have the beginnings of the FAQ now, and the disability info from the DIS main pages. We are getting there!

galc.gif
DIS disABILITIES Discussion Board FAQ under construction!
"My brain takes a vacation just to give my heart more room..."
teri@iluvdisney.com

I'm glad you like what we have here and it has been helpful.
A number of people have talked about writing a guidebook. There were a lot of people who contributed to a thread a while back about "WHat would you like to see in a WDW guidebook". We've just all been busy (except teri, who was trying to avoid housework) and it hasn't gotten off the ground.
I have a guidebook called "WDW for Everyone" of something like that from about 1995 that I bought. The thing that I have seen is that they keep changing HOW they do things at WDW, so it would be really hard to keep current with any kind of published book (not to say I wouldn't help write one).
Anyway, keep coming here and you can get all the info you want for free.

SueM in MN
Co-Moderator of disABILITIES

I wouldn't dream of leaving this site.
Speaking of a guidebook, I bet if we all pooled and organized by theme all the great advice that we have gathered on this board we would have a pretty complete guide book.
I was just thinking of the people that don't assess computers ( and beleive me they are numerous) who feel that a WDW trip is out of the question for them because of their special circumstances.
Thanks for being here.

teachbrooks

I am not a writer--but I'm a WDW fan who travels with my husband who has Lou Gehrigs desease. Thru a varied process we have found the do's and a lot of don'ts when traveling to WDW. I know what works for us and would love the opportunity to share any and all information that will make traveling to WDW easier for any one else. Count on me. PattyN ;)

ihttp://www.disneyclipart.com/cgi-bin/jump.bin?ID=464mg/img

that Walt Disney World publishes a title called 'Guidebook for Guests With Disabilities' and said that if someone wanted to request a copy they could call 407-824-4321.

It said the book discusses such topics as where braille directories are located inside the parks along with other matters. I don't know if they are still available now though.

Thanks for helping out Deena.
There is actually a Guidebook for Guests with Disablilites for each park. They give a lot of general information, but don't have a lot of specifics about how rides load, size of ride cars, etc. They do list all the restrictions for each ride, like height, whether service animals can ride. One thing that is nice, they have a list of each ride/attraction telling how long it is. It also gives some general information about the ride, like is it a gentle boat ride or a turbulant thrill ride.
You can request copies before getting to WDW or from Guest Services in the parks. We've also gotten them from our WDW resort. The number you posted was in the Guidebooks in 1999 as the phone number for WDW Special Reservations. The phone number that was in the Guidebooks before mid 1999 and is in the current Guidebooks is (407) 939-7807.
I take what the Unofficial Guide to WDW says with a grain of salt because some of the information in it is not correct. I stopped reading it for that reason. For example, I haven't seen the 2001 copy, but I've been told it says anyone with a wheelchair is taken into rides with only a short wait (ahead of other people). That is not correct. I've also been told that it says Florida timeshare owners (including DVC) can buy Florida resident tickets. That's been in the book for a long time and is not true either (in fact, part of the contract when buying DVC specifically states ownership can not be used to prove Florida residency). I figure if some stuff I am familiar with is not correct, there is probably other stuff I'm not familiar with.
But, it's good to know what is in the Unofficial Guide, so we can post correct info.

SueM in MN

Another good source for information is Debbie's Unofficial WDW Information Guide which can be viewed at http://wdwig.com/contents.htm

There is a section about halfway down the table of contents Need Special Assistance???. It includes the following subjects:

American Sign Launguage (ASL) at WDW FAQ
Assisted Listening Devices
Mobility Disabilities
Reflective Captioning
WDW for the Visually Impaired
Wheelchair/EVC FAQ
Touring WDW in a Scooter - Part I
WDW from the Wheelchair Perspective - Part II
Touring Animal Kingdom in a Wheelchair
AK via Wheelchairs and Strollers

In addition, under theTheme Park Information section is one called "WDW at Large - Disney through the eyes of people who know that one size doesnot fit all

WDW Stays
AS; 3/98, 3/99
BC; 1/93
BWI; 1/97
Caribbean Beach; 11/89, 2/95, 1/97, 12/97, 12/98, 11-12/00, 2/01
Contemporary; 9-10/91, 9/92, 9/94, 5/95, 9/95, 8-9/96, 9/97, 9/98, 9/99, 12/99-1/00, 5-6/00, 8-9/00, (5/01), (11-12/01)
DI; 1-2/96
DxL; 7/93
OKW; 2/95
Plaza Hotels; 2/94, 1/96, 6/99, (8/01)
Poly; 1/94
PO; 6/93
SoG; 5/97
WL; 2/96
Off-Property (Other Than 1st Night); 11/87, 2/93, 7/93, 2/95, 2/95, 6/98, 12/00

The WDWIG information is good, but some of it is outdated since it's not being replenished like a discussion forum and some of the info is only one person's experience. For example, in the AK report, it's noted that the Safari ride cars and the Conservation Station train don't accomidate wheelchairs or ecvs. We went on both during the sneak preview of AK a few weeks before official opening and have been on both several times since then (on Safari 3/2001). Occupied wheelchairs can be loaded on both.
But, going to that site and this one, you will find a lot of good information.

SueM in MN

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter