Gulf State Park DIS Meet 2019 (Episode 4)

Tick Tock indeed Ed. Getting closer and closer.

We'll hopefully have some shakedown exercises under our belt before arrival. I mean, I would hate for you to get to watch me back in the 5er for the first time...:rolleyes1

Looks like I'll have to wait until 3pm to get on the road on that Friday the 24th when youngest DD gets out of school. Technically they still have school the following Tuesday and Wednesday but I've already been told that they will be finished with actual school and that these days are not necessary for her. This will put us likely around 7pm or so getting down there, depending on traffic which I figure my timing around Mobile, AL will be terrible so probably later but we'll be coming in just the same.

Looking ahead, I was planning on making another trip over the Pensacola to watch the Blue Angels practice and tour the aviation museum again. The practice schedule is located here:
https://www.pnj.com/story/news/mili...-2019-pensacola-naval-air-station/2769768002/

Also, on May 25th (Memorial Day) over at Fort Morgan they will do the usual demonstration of cannons and guns. It appears to be scheduled from 9am to 3pm. Being as it will likely just be youngest DD and myself, I may finally make it over there to see this. Here is a link:
http://fort-morgan.org/

Bama Ed call GSP and ask about the WIFI. I camped there in Nov. and IIRC I was able to get WIFI on my computer. I was staying on Gator Road on one of the sites facing the water.

Wow,

I may make it to GSP before the "locals". We plan on leaving mid-afternoon, after work, on Thursday the 23rd. I have a quick overnight booked outside Huntsville (Athens). We stayed here 2 years ago. It is right at the end of an exit ramp and an easy turn back on I-65. This is right at half way, so that will give us a quick 6 hour drive on Friday. I figure with a lunch stop, we should be getting to GSP between 2-3 on the 24th.

j

We hope to be in and settled by dark on Thursday, so looks like I can set up a chair and shoot some arrival videos for this year.

Bama Ed call GSP and ask about the WIFI. I camped there in Nov. and IIRC I was able to get WIFI on my computer. I was staying on Gator Road on one of the sites facing the water.

Interesting news.

I did call the Campground office this morning, rocketmom. Yes there is some WIFI around (check-in office, pool area, and other places) but service apparently is spotty because lightning has knocked out some antenna locations. So I think these are no-go's.

However, I did call the front desk of the Hilton hotel that was recently built on the GSP Beach on the ruins of the old Lodge and they don't have a business center that I can use. Not willing to try the lobby wi-fi.

Given what days are involved, though, I can't imagine the on-line training going all the way till 4pm on the Friday before Memorial Day. That means I'll likely be faced with the same dilemma that Tiggerdad will face. Heading for the beach on the Friday afternoon before a major holiday weekend. Nobody else will be headed in that direction then I bet, right?

giphy.gif

We might just arrive at midnight - who knows? :confused3

Bama Ed

Aladdin will open while @ GS! Not sure where movies theaters are located-but I would love to go see it. Anyone want to go with us?

Aladdin will open while @ GS! Not sure where movies theaters are located-but I would love to go see it. Anyone want to go with us?

It's over at the Wharf, not far at all. In fact, year before last several of us migrated from GSP to go there and watch the new POTC movie when it came out Memorial Day Weekend.

I can promise you this, I WILL NOT take 2 lane 45 down to Mobile if I can't leave here before 3pm on that Friday.

Looks like we will be trying tomorrow to extend our trip to the Gulf by a couple of days. Have to call tomorrow, see if we can add to our reservation, and shift my other plans for the trip home.
Well first day at the new job, and I survived. No really it was not that bad. It is good, real good.

It's over at the Wharf, not far at all. In fact, year before last several of us migrated from GSP to go there and watch the new POTC movie when it came out Memorial Day Weekend.

Actually there is a movie theater plex in Gulf Shores (north of the Intracoastal) on Hwy 59 on the airport side in the Target shopping center that is a whole lot closer. You don't have to go all the way to OB to see movies.

But Gloria, I'm up for it sometime during our stay.

Bama Ed

PS - https://www.cobbtheatres.com/pinnacle14.aspx

Last edited:
@PaHunter good luck, I was not able to extend my stay unless we want to move sites. We decided we will pul, out wed May 29. I did cutoff our first day. Bert has in person training that week till Thursday so we will bright and early Friday may 24 and hope to get in before the crowd. We do gain an hour with the time change so hopefully can be in around 2 before it gets nuts.

@tiggerdad i think Bert wants to see the blue angels again, since we leave Wednesday have to go in Tuesday.

Actually there is a movie theater plex in Gulf Shores (north of the Intracoastal) on Hwy 59 on the airport side in the Target shopping center that is a whole lot closer. You don't have to go all the way to OB to see movies.

But Gloria, I'm up for it sometime during our stay.

Bama Ed

PS - https://www.cobbtheatres.com/pinnacle14.aspx

Sounds like a plan to me either way. Youngest DD won't mind either way.

@PaHunter good luck, I was not able to extend my stay unless we want to move sites. We decided we will pul, out wed May 29. I did cutoff our first day. Bert has in person training that week till Thursday so we will bright and early Friday may 24 and hope to get in before the crowd. We do gain an hour with the time change so hopefully can be in around 2 before it gets nuts.

@tiggerdad i think Bert wants to see the blue angels again, since we leave Wednesday have to go in Tuesday.

Tuesday is fine by me. It'll be weather dependent. They won't practice if the weather is not cooperating.

We are up for the Blue Angels too. We'll bring our passports this time. We watched practice from a sailboat last September. That was very cool, but I'd like to see it on land and check out the museum again. It's been 10 years or so since we saw everything on base.

j

We'll bring our passports this time.

Oh the memories!

Randy and I in my truck watching Joe get the "treatment" over a cell phone by an uptight guard and then later finding out that Jim got deported for no passport in Pensacola. Ed, you gotta go this time! You don't know what quality entertainment you might miss!

Oh the memories!

Randy and I in my truck watching Joe get the "treatment" over a cell phone by an uptight guard and then later finding out that Jim got deported for no passport in Pensacola. Ed, you gotta go this time! You don't know what quality entertainment you might miss!

We're in this time, tiggerdad. It's been a while for me too since I've been to Pensacola NAS. I worked for Pratt & Whitney (jet engine manufacturer) early in my career so I like the planes and things that go ZOOM real fast in the sky.

For those interested, the Pensacola Lighthouse is on the NAS property and can be toured/climbed as well. Bet there is a good view from the top.

http://www.pensacolalighthouse.org/

Bama Ed

PS - as a kid in the late 70s, we Boy Scouts camped once at Pensacola NAS on a spring weekend. It was a long drive in Friday night, it was late and dark, so we just unrolled our sleeping bags in the grass field they had directed us to and slept under the stars because it was a nice night. At about 0600 the first Navy jet of the morning took off next to us and we realized the Group Camping spot was down next to the end of the runway. Now THAT was a wake-up-call!

Last edited:
Well we were able to add the two days, so we will be arriving on the 23rd and departing on the 30th. More fun in the sun. NAS sounds like a blast, would be nice to get some new cool pictures. Don't have a passport, but DW and I both have second ID that would work. (checked the website to be sure). So time to pack for our first trip, come home, reload and hit the Gulf. Well another warm one here, let me go see what I can get done.

Did someone mention the Pensacola Light House ? You know it's haunted right ? Reported to be a Mother and two children. But they are nice folks from what I hear. Having grown up in Pensacola I have seen the Lighthouse my whole life but never ventured there even when on base. About 3 years ago following a Blues practice we decided to tour the Lighthouse. We had a picnic there at the tables they have and then climbed to the top. It was awesome and I am ready to go again. But I will warn you it is hard work and if you have a fear of heights the stairs will freak you out. They are spiral the whole way and when passing you must move to the narrow side. Did I mention I am always up to see the Blues fly. And yes no cell phone use approaching the guard gate unless you want to be glared at and scolded for 5 minutes by an angry Guatemalan Navy MP.

Lighthouse.jpg

So adding some personal news to the group that may affect my life again. Our robot project is running a week behind so we won't get to play with them until next Monday. After that we should be fully deploying them. At work Monday I checked my cell and got an email and voice mail that was very unexpected. Some may remember about 3 years ago when I retired I thought I had a chance to be hired by Airbus at the new factory they built here in Mobile. Well they passed on me and have done the same for several application rounds. Well Airbus recently bought into Bombardier and are now building a second assembly line here to construct the new smaller planes. So I applied again and guess what ? They called and emailed me Monday wanting to talk to me. I called after I go off early and he said they had lowered the experience requirements and I am now qualified. In about 2 weeks they will send me an offer to come in for orientation. If hired it will require me to go train in Montreal Canada for 90 days this summer. The starting pay is a little lower than what I'm making now but tops out much better. This is literally my dream job. The whole reason I got out of the Army in 1982 and got my A&P license was to work on commercial airplanes. Every thing I have done since then was an alternative to survive. Man this will be a tough decision.

You'll sort it out Joe. It sounds pretty cool actually.

giphy.gif

Speaking of the aviation museum, I'm calling dibs on Bert this go around. He's like a walking tour guide in that place!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter