Gulf State Park Dismeet 2018: Sand, Sun, and Puzzles...

Oct 2019 no good for me My nephew won't listen to my advice and is getting married then so if we do go camping then it will be at the KOA in Charlottesville Va for Columbus Day weekend

Ok Everyone, I thought I would post about our trip to GSP and the semi meet-up with some of the DISBoards folks. We only secured our site last week and after getting the reservation I remembered that there were several people from this board who usually were in GSP for Memorial day. Sure enough I found this thread but unfortunately some people decided to leave because of the impending storm. I cannot say I blame them, as I waited until the last minute to decide not to change my reservation.

@tiggerdad was kind enough to let me know my site was empty and we were going to try to come early, but we had a little technical snafu and didn't leave the house until around 2:00 pm. We were on site 489 (pic below) within an hour and setting up when a big dually pulled up and I finally (after over two years) got to meet Randy @SouthAlabama5er and Joe @Flametamr . I really appreciate all the information I have gotten on this board and I was REALLY honored to finally meet some of the gang. After we got setup I rode by site 20 and got to meet Mrs. Randy, @PaHunter and his bride, and Patrick. Joe swung back by on his way back to Mobile County for a night and Randy blessed us with some of the leftover (GALLON SIZED BAG) of crawfish.

We went out to eat only once, but I thought I would share the experience. We went to Big Wave Dave's (just to the east of GSP on 182 right beside Ron Jon surf shop) and we were really pleased. The menu is a little odd, and that is what they are going for. The chicken nachos were fantastic and the portions for the money was really good. We have our favorite seafood places basically being local, so something a little different was okay with us. The dessert was surprisingly good as well.

This trip was an exploratory trip for us in the new rig and the threat of weather (and short stay) convinced us to avoid setting up our normal campsite. We were content to hang out inside and organize the camper. Our site (489) is a pull through canal view site. The DW likes to have the view of some water and the boys like to fish. These sites are a little more per night ($50) but we like the breeze we get there. Also, @tiggerdad , during our entire stay (and the several other times we have stayed along the canal) we only saw a couple of yellow flies. I think they like to be in the trees and since there are not many trees (or shade) down that road, there are not many around there. Now, we have encountered a nine foot gator down there but he stayed in the water and we stayed on the land. We can still be friends that way. Ranger Dave stopped by one evening as I was cooking burgers and let us know he is still in the canal. They removed his girlfriend last year as she was aggressive and it is obvious some campers have been feeding him still. We walked over to an empty site (487 as I remember) and he made a beeline for the shore. He likes to hang out in the reeds across the canal and wait for you to be cooking on the grill. Like I said, he has never threatened us in anyway, just looking for a meal. DO NOT FEED THE ALLIGATORS. There was a family of rabbits living in the underbrush next to our site. This tells me that the neighborhood gator does not come onshore to eat. On a side note, leaving the campground Monday night for supper, we saw a momma and baby otter crossing the road between the registration building and the water tower. We had never seen any otters there before. That was kind of cool.

Anyway, we checked out yesterday, got home and cleaned out the rig. Like I said, I really appreciate how friendly and hospitable the folks from this site have been. I do not post a lot, mostly just lurk. But I promised Randy I would try to post more. We are starting to make plans for next year. If we can make it, we would love to join the festivities. Thanks again to all of you who make this site worthwhile. See you real soon.

GSPSite489.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the update Mike.

Even if you can't come in until sometime after Memorial Day like you did this week, I encourage you to make the reservation for next year now and drop the dates back here to at least have something on the calendar. I will add you to the list if you do.

Sorry I couldn't meet you but I would like to pick the brain of someone who lives on the Eastern Shore (of Mobile Bay which is Baldwin County where Gulf Shores and Gulf State Park is). But if you met Joe and Randy and Patrick, you got a flavor of how/who we are.

Congrats on the new trailer. I hope you have lots of future memories in it.

Bama Ed

Ok Everyone, I thought I would post about our trip to GSP and the semi meet-up with some of the DISBoards folks. We only secured our site last week and after getting the reservation I remembered that there were several people from this board who usually were in GSP for Memorial day. Sure enough I found this thread but unfortunately some people decided to leave because of the impending storm. I cannot say I blame them, as I waited until the last minute to decide not to change my reservation.

@tiggerdad was kind enough to let me know my site was empty and we were going to try to come early, but we had a little technical snafu and didn't leave the house until around 2:00 pm. We were on site 489 (pic below) within an hour and setting up when a big dually pulled up and I finally (after over two years) got to meet Randy @SouthAlabama5er and Joe @Flametamr . I really appreciate all the information I have gotten on this board and I was REALLY honored to finally meet some of the gang. After we got setup I rode by site 20 and got to meet Mrs. Randy, @PaHunter and his bride, and Patrick. Joe swung back by on his way back to Mobile County for a night and Randy blessed us with some of the leftover (GALLON SIZED BAG) of crawfish.

We went out to eat only once, but I thought I would share the experience. We went to Big Wave Dave's (just to the east of GSP on 182 right beside Ron Jon surf shop) and we were really pleased. The menu is a little odd, and that is what they are going for. The chicken nachos were fantastic and the portions for the money was really good. We have our favorite seafood places basically being local, so something a little different was okay with us. The dessert was surprisingly good as well.

This trip was an exploratory trip for us in the new rig and the threat of weather (and short stay) convinced us to avoid setting up our normal campsite. We were content to hang out inside and organize the camper. Our site (489) is a pull through canal view site. The DW likes to have the view of some water and the boys like to fish. These sites are a little more per night ($50) but we like the breeze we get there. Also, @tiggerdad , during our entire stay (and the several other times we have stayed along the canal) we only saw a couple of yellow flies. I think they like to be in the trees and since there are not many trees (or shade) down that road, there are not many around there. Now, we have encountered a nine foot gator down there but he stayed in the water and we stayed on the land. We can still be friends that way. Ranger Dave stopped by one evening as I was cooking burgers and let us know he is still in the canal. They removed his girlfriend last year as she was aggressive and it is obvious some campers have been feeding him still. We walked over to an empty site (487 as I remember) and he made a beeline for the shore. He likes to hang out in the reeds across the canal and wait for you to be cooking on the grill. Like I said, he has never threatened us in anyway, just looking for a meal. DO NOT FEED THE ALLIGATORS. There was a family of rabbits living in the underbrush next to our site. This tells me that the neighborhood gator does not come onshore to eat. On a side note, leaving the campground Monday night for supper, we saw a momma and baby otter crossing the road between the registration building and the water tower. We had never seen any otters there before. That was kind of cool.

Anyway, we checked out yesterday, got home and cleaned out the rig. Like I said, I really appreciate how friendly and hospitable the folks from this site have been. I do not post a lot, mostly just lurk. But I promised Randy I would try to post more. We are starting to make plans for next year. If we can make it, we would love to join the festivities. Thanks again to all of you who make this site worthwhile. See you real soon.

View attachment 326818

Glad you guys had a good stay, and enjoy the new camper.

So there are two that will be joining us for next years GSP.
20180602_185118_1527982656501_resized.jpg

This is Diesel.

20180602_185003_1527982674075_resized.jpg

And this is Reba.

Diesel is 5 years old, is a very tall male German Shepard. But he is very laid back. Reba is a 3 year old female, is smaller in size, is a bit more active. The two of them did very well on the 90 min ride home today. They are both now sleeping, it has been a busy day for them. In Diesel's case it has been a tough week, he was surrendered on Monday to the shelter, and was adopted by us today. It will take them a few days to settle in and get used to our schedule. But they will be very loved, and will join us on our camping adventures.

Last edited:
Congrats Chris. Ian will be very jealous. He loves German Shepards (and any other "big" dog).

j

@PaHunter , new additions look good. I feel your adoption of them, much the same as we got Pepper this past year is the best route to go. Maybe they'll all get along. We'll find out soon.

@DisneyDad0f5 , I had considered changing site locations as you are correct the yellow flies prefer shade. However, DW would likely have bigger fit over being closer to the water and gators. Look forward to meeting up next year.

2 rescues, congrats and welcome them to the family :thumbsup2. I showed the pics to my wife and she said "Don't go getting any ideas" (I love German Shepards also):rolleyes1

2 rescues, congrats and welcome them to the family :thumbsup2. I showed the pics to my wife and she said "Don't go getting any ideas" (I love German Shepards also):rolleyes1

Well we intended to go and get one. :rolleyes1

But the first one was a very good girl, then we met the laid back dude and well, wife agreed, two would be good. They can then keep each other company. :dogdance::dogdance:

Well another year down at beautiful trip has came to an end. We pulled out around 7 this evening and headed home. Really glad we was able put faces with names, @PaHunter, @DisneyDad0f5, @FriendsOfEeyore and @grumpyaggie, looking forward to seeing everyone next year and I promise @tiggerdad will pack some better weather. Maybe we can be sure to have the crawfish boil the first few days we'll all there. Bed time now, unloading the camper in the morning, I'll post more in the morning. Til GSP 2019!

Thanks for the update Mike.

Even if you can't come in until sometime after Memorial Day like you did this week, I encourage you to make the reservation for next year now and drop the dates back here to at least have something on the calendar. I will add you to the list if you do.

Sorry I couldn't meet you but I would like to pick the brain of someone who lives on the Eastern Shore (of Mobile Bay which is Baldwin County where Gulf Shores and Gulf State Park is). But if you met Joe and Randy and Patrick, you got a flavor of how/who we are.

Congrats on the new trailer. I hope you have lots of future memories in it.

Bama Ed

Hi Ed,

I am not sure about next year and Memorial Day at GSP. It has become kind of a tradition that each of our children celebrate their HS graduation with a trip to WDW and Ft. Wilderness. Each of our children were at MK for their first birthday and they (so far) have picked WDW for their senior trip. We have our middle son graduating this year and we think we will end up at Fort Wilderness Memorial Day week 2019 for him. If that changes, I will let you know.

As far as information on Baldwin County or the Eastern Shore, hit me up. I have lived in Baldwin County since 1978. I can probably answer most questions anyone has, and I am glad to do so. I also travel quite a bit (over 1.5 million miles flown with Delta Airlines alone) so I might chime in on other areas as well. My office was in Orlando from 2000 to 2010, so I spent a good bit of time in Central FL as well.

We really enjoyed the new trailer, especially the dual AC's. Now to booking more trips in it!

View attachment 327003

Ended our stay at GSP with a bang! I proposed to Ashley on the beach yesterday evening before we left. I originally planned to do it the first few days there but the weather had everything messed up.
I'm excited to start this new chapter in my life with Ashley she the right person for me.

giphy.gif

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter