Gulf State Park Dismeet 2018: Sand, Sun, and Puzzles...

Didn't we tell you to stop hanging out with Jim Cantore. Now you are turning into a Hurricane Magnet.
Smart move hiding your feet. Remember how how jealous some one who shall remain nameless got when he saw the last pictures you posted of them.

Jealously is a terrible disease.

I hope they get well soon.

Spent most of day on beach.

IMAG1359.jpg

Girls constructed Fort Squirrel
IMAG1364.jpg

Afterwards they swam in pool. Pool in same shape as the resort. Unfortunately, the resort is small. Thus, sadly, so is pool. You can see it in lower half of pic of the Pink Pony.
IMAG1344.jpg

This evenings dinner plans are the Sea N' Suds. You can see it from pic from the balcony.
IMAG1365.jpg

1538952167226-536345094.jpg
Will let you know my experience.

Last edited:
I hope you have a better experience at Sea-n-Suds than I did, buddy. Seriously.

The one good thing about The Hangout is they have lots of tv's along the west wall so I hope you caught a portion of the Bama-Arky game. But it's loud as I remember.

The Hangout was the host location for the Gulf Shores Half Marathon I ran/walked back last weekend of Jan 2017. It was the location for the bib number pickup, expo, start line, and finish line. That was the trip I stayed at the RV park behind the Pizza Hut across the street from Scoops. Food IMO at The Hangout was 'eh'. I ate at Pappa Racco's both nights and was pleased (not at the Hangout).

There is something to be said for staying in the center where lots of things are walkable when it's a "long" drive for a "short" duration. I use that approach when I go north to visit family.

If you get a chance, cruise over by the Gulf State Park Lodge just past the GSP Pier on the right and see if they look like they are open for business. May be a month too soon IIRC.

Safe travels home. Thanks for the pix.

Bama Ed

]cruise over by the Gulf State Park Lodge just past the GSP Pier on the right and see if they look like they are open for business. May be a month too soon IIRC.
GSP Lodge was looking pretty good a few weeks ago. Semi after semi bringing in everything for the rooms. One, it was mattresses. The next looked like big refrigerator size appliance boxes. They were still working on some of the finish work on the outside and none of the landscaping was started on yet.

Signs said "November 2018".

j

Aight, well I can cross Sea N' Suds off my list of restaurants here I haven't tried yet. Some good and bad.

The view from table made up for a lot.
IMAG1370.jpg

IMAG1372.jpg

Service was probably most impressive thing. No sooner had the woman delivered our drinks, I read some posts, took some pics and the food was there!

My wife got seafood platter with stuffed crab, fried oysters, shrimp, fish and bowl of gumbo.
IMAG1369.jpg

Not really anything special, tasted about same as most places. Not bad, but not something to be back in line for 45 minutes again.

My oldest DD and I were going to each get get combo of two with steamed shrimp and crab claws. Instead we were advised to get separate orders of shrimp and crab claws which we did.
IMAG1368.jpg

Shrimp had good flavor but crab claws were certainly nothing to brag about. Definitely not $30 worth either.

In summary I have to say it wasn't bad, but I don't see me going back unless I'm again at a local resort and it's short walking distance. Parking for this restaurant shares parking with a resort. Had I been driving my truck I would of had heck parking in such a confined place. I'll give it a C.

Walking to Scoops...

Easier walk than I thought. Had the sundaes (Traditional, caramel, and brownie delight). Youngest DD stuck to her traditional chocolate chip mint.
IMAG1373.jpg

Gonna walk around some of shops. We pull out tomorrow because there were no more available rooms. They are getting ready for shrimp festival next week. Already putting up some canopies over at public beach/park.

I made deal with DW. In morning I'll take girls back to beach while she packs up. We'll shower and check out by 11.

Then...

Stop by the outlets on way out of town :sad:

Wow,

Quick trip. I didn't realize you were just in for the weekend.

Thanks for the pics.

j

Surf is starting to pick up. Some of resorts have already put up red flags.
IMAG1375.jpg

IMAG1379.jpg

Yeah Jim, short trip. Girls out of school today and tomorrow. Typically we check girls out of school at noon on Friday but both wanted to keep perfect attendance so we waited until 3. I dropped my truck off to have the airbags installed so really didn't get out of meridian until nearly 5. So Friday was lost.

They didn't have any resort openings tonight so we gotta be out by 11. Thus I lost 2 days.

We gonna stop by Lambert's on way to outlets for lunch.

I feel your pain on stopping at the Outlets. Maybe an extra dessert will help ease the pain. On the bright side as you only have the truck, Mrs Tiggerdad will be limited in her efforts to clear the essential stores out, I mean get super bargains

Lambert's...wow.

Got there 30 minutes before opening and crowd already out to the parking lot.

This time I got charbroiled chicken, with mashed potatoes, baked beans, fried potatoes, fried okra, black eyed peas, two rolls...with apple butter.
IMAG1383.jpg

Good grief, I'm miserable.

Now I've assumed my usual role of bench warmer and bag carrier.
1539015997966590364691.jpg

Headed home from here. Assuming I have gas money left that is. At least they are Huey Lewis and the News on the PA.

Looks like Hurricane (me) is getting bigger, and possibly projected to be major hurricane at landfall in Florida. My apologies and prayers to all potentially involved.

Last edited:
Well the Lodge At Gulf State Park (managed by Hilton) is open on the GSP beach. It is to the left (east) of the fishing pier on the footprint of the old 70s Lodge that was destroyed in a hurricane in 2004 (it was trapped in a time warp and looked like it did for much of the 70s at the time of its demise since very little money was spent to modernize it in the between years).

The new hotel looks very chic and trendy. Now that the bike paths and boards walks have been so extensively built out, I'm strongly considering biking or walking over for lunch at one of its dining establishments during DisMeet 4. The Lodge and the improvements at Gulf are being funded by the money paid out for the Gulf oil spill many years ago.

Here is the link: https://lodgeatgulfstatepark.com/ As for the rooms, you can only book for as far as mid-May currently but a king size for a week that time of year is $174 a night (beach front location so not a bad rate considering if you don't have a trailer).

It will be time soon after we roll into 2019 to open up a DisMeet4 thread.

Bama Ed

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!