Had a good laugh today...

GoofyforDisney3

DIS Veteran
Well, because my time management skills have been lacking lately I ended up going to Great Clips to get a much needed hair cut before my trip this coming week. While I was getting my cut, the stylist and I were chatting since she knew I had never been there before and I told her that my regular stylist had moved and time just got away from me in looking for a replacement and then couldn't find anyone that was recommended to me that could fit me in before I left on my trip on Tuesday so I was at her mercy. So, she asked me what my trip was and I told her my DD and I were heading to WDW and she mentioned taking her DD when she was little and about how expensive everything was and how she had been thankful to have a friend that gave her tips and stuff before she went. The one tip she mentioned was going directly to the restaurant you wanted to eat at that day to get on the list for a table, because if you didn't go as soon as the park opened you could't get to eat at a regular restaurant that day because it would be all full by time you wanted to eat.

Oh my did I laugh. I told her it's changed now and that you make reservations from home up to 180 days in advance now. So funny! Anyone else remember those days?

Well, because my time management skills have been lacking lately I ended up going to Great Clips to get a much needed hair cut before my trip this coming week. While I was getting my cut, the stylist and I were chatting since she knew I had never been there before and I told her that my regular stylist had moved and time just got away from me in looking for a replacement and then couldn't find anyone that was recommended to me that could fit me in before I left on my trip on Tuesday so I was at her mercy. So, she asked me what my trip was and I told her my DD and I were heading to WDW and she mentioned taking her DD when she was little and about how expensive everything was and how she had been thankful to have a friend that gave her tips and stuff before she went. The one tip she mentioned was going directly to the restaurant you wanted to eat at that day to get on the list for a table, because if you didn't go as soon as the park opened you could't get to eat at a regular restaurant that day because it would be all full by time you wanted to eat.

Oh my did I laugh. I told her it's changed now and that you make reservations from home up to 180 days in advance now. So funny! Anyone else remember those days?

Oh yes, we most definitely remember! Our first trip was in 1994, and the only advance reservations we made were CRT and Hoop-De-Doo Revue - back then HDD was so hot you could make reservations 2 years in advance. And at Epcot you went to GR next to Spaceship Earth or to a kiosk on the causeway between FW & WS to make reservations for that day.

My grandparents took my sister & I in mid-1970's.

We stayed offsite.

We ate breakfast offsite.

We then went directly to Cinderella's Castle to make a reservation for same day dinner.

But, we did wait 4-hours, with everyone else, to ride Space Mountain in Summer, 1975.....because there was no FP+.

Good times, indeed.....because I'm the family member that awakes before sunrise with the plans for restaurants & FP+'s.

Early 90s. Booked Hoop d doo several weeks before our trip. One of the perks for staying on site was that we could book reservations the day before. Other folks had to go to Epcot guest relations or the restaurants. But since World showcase didn’t open till 11 you could be too late if you tried to book at the restaurants.

We decided one morning to just pop into Cape May for character breakfast.no problems. On our next trip 2 years later, I couldn’t get into any of the character breakfasts trying to book a week prior.

Now I get up at 5am central 180 days prior to book my adrs.

...it's changed now and that you make reservations from home up to 180 days in advance now.

I think this is one of DH's least favorite things about a trip to WDW. How does he know he's going to want Mexican food or Italian food on a Tuesday night in six months and that he's going to want to eat at 5:30pm or 7:30pm on said night. :crazy2:

DH and I always smile as we remember that on our honeymoon in Sept. of 1990, we went to CRT right after the park opened and got reservations for lunch that day!!! That would never happen now!!!

I think this is one of DH's least favorite things about a trip to WDW. How does he know he's going to want Mexican food or Italian food on a Tuesday night in six months and that he's going to want to eat at 5:30pm or 7:30pm on said night. :crazy2:
Wow my DH is the exact opposite. The first thing we do after I book the trip is sit down and plan meals. He says he is afraid I will get excited about rides and Shows and such and forget to feed him. He picks the restaurants and then I work the schedule. We always pick at least one new place every trip.

DH and I always smile as we remember that on our honeymoon in Sept. of 1990, we went to CRT right after the park opened and got reservations for lunch that day!!! That would never happen now!!!

On my first trip with my Ex we didn't know anything about reservations and did a walk in at Coral Reef and after I figured out why the hostess kept looking at us like we were nuts and kept asking if we had a reservation. That was around 1999. :rotfl:

To me it’s not about knowing what you will want, but making the arrangements and spending the next 180 days looking forward to that.

It’s an especialy helpful mindset because we are vegetarian, so the choices are much smaller than for an omnivore. So it’s not even that I’m choosing a style of food 6 months out, but one or two items from the menu.

That was my first experience with communicating with someone on a video screen, seemed like a big deal back then.

This is so true! Now my 8yo grandkids FaceTime from their smartphones and I realize I am living the Carousel of Progress (a few scenes behind the grandkids)

I remember when walkups were really easy to do. My friend and I walked up to Sci-Fi Diner and were seated within 10 minutes in a car. We would make one reservation and then everything else was spur of the moment. This was in 2008.

We had no problems in the 70's, 80's finding a place to dine - actually loved it. When it was just MK, we would go to the castle (then, King Stefan's Banquet Hall) and get a lunch/dinner ressie with no issues (and the food was great, with a terrific dessert). We loved it. At Epcot, would go to a kiosk and decide which restaurant we wanted to dine at.

I recall, during the 70's and into the mid 80's, doing walk-ups everywhere. No problem getting into Crystal Palace, Alfreddo's in Epcot, Liberty Tree, the diner restaurant at the Poly, even the restaurant in the castle (don't recall whether it was CRT at that time, or not). The only reservation I remember making was for the Luau at the Poly.

Someone told my Mom on our recent trip in October to make sure to buy FastPasses because they are totally worth it. Many people just don't realize.

I still think it's a bit ridiculous to make reservations at 180 days, but I guess the demand is there. I do not really recall life before it as I was a kid and all details like that were not handled by me.

We took my kids in 1987 between Christmas and New Year’s Day. We made our reservations when we checked in: the luau, HDDR, Brunch at the Top, empress Lily, and one other character meal in the CR.

Someone told my Mom on our recent trip in October to make sure to buy FastPasses because they are totally worth it. Many people just don't realize.

I listened to a lady explain to her kids outside a ride that they weren't going to use FP because you had to pay extra for it :sad2:

ETA: but, I get it, this is an extra pay service at parks owned by other entities :upsidedow

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter