Had to share my joy and excitement

kniquy

DIS Veteran
We have our real first family WDW trip coming up in April 2018- it will be my in-laws, DH, 12 twin boys and our DD4. We took the boys a couple years ago, but painfully opted to leave our at the time 18 month old DD at home.

When our 11 month window opened i book online at AKV 2BR and then as the 7 month window approached i kept toying with a split stay at Poly for the first 3 nights. I kept leaning towards not doing it as i know it keeps us from getting really settled in because we will be moving in a few days. So this morning i made the change. I didn't realize how excited i was about trying out Poly. More excitement and emotion came when i was on the phone booking.

I had to call MS to release the first 3 days in order to make the change. As I was booking the two rooms the CM asked if we were celebrating anything -- I told her my DD first visit, the CM was so excited and said that they would give DD a button and would make a big fuss about her first visit. It almost made me want to cry thinking about her first of many WDW trips.

So this switch is also a surprise for my in-laws. They won't know until we arrive. They had stayed at the Polynesian way back in 1990. As i was telling my husband about the change in resorts he mentioned that Poly was the first WDW resort that he had ever stayed at. I had no clue! I knew he had stayed there for a couple days on one of his family trips, but I never knew it was his first WDW stay. I thought what a momentous thing to have this be our DD first ever WDW at Poly too. Needless to say it definitely confirmed my decision to do the split with Poly and AKV.

Now on to researching the Poly portion of our stay!

How wonderful! The Poly was our first hotel, back in 1977!

So glad it worked for you!

I'm happy for you too! And I won't be surprised to see posts from you about an add-on at Poly, given your family history. :rolleyes1

I told her my DD first visit, the CM was so excited and said that they would give DD a button and would make a big fuss about her first visit

I want to gently urge you to not get all of your hopes up for this moment. Disconnects happen, so be sure that YOU mention your excitement and that it's DD's first visit, etc, to the CMs you meet. Make the good things happen, because CMs don't always do everything other CMs promise.

I want to gently urge you to not get all of your hopes up for this moment
thanks for the heads up. I understand they can't make a big deal about everyone with a pin and I am not expecting the CMs to make the excitement for us. I just think even her getting a button to wear will be fun for her. We are a low fuse group and really are not one for things over the top. We are just genuinely excite for her to experience all the ride characters etc that we have been talking about for the past year.

Hope your trip is everything you are hoping for. The Poly is a great resort!

I want to gently urge you to not get all of your hopes up for this moment. Disconnects happen, so be sure that YOU mention your excitement and that it's DD's first visit, etc, to the CMs you meet. Make the good things happen, because CMs don't always do everything other CMs promise.

I second this thought. We were at BLT, were there a few days ( and we did have several reasons to go to front desk). No one every said anything about DGS birthday. And all I was looking for was "I see there is a birthday boy, I have a pin for him" type thing. That day I asked if it was noted on the account . Yes, yes it was. Would you like me to send up a few balloons??? Yes, please. All day I'm thinking DGS will be surprised. I was the one surprised. Nothing was done. Absolutely nothing.

However the manager at AKL, did do something for DGS birthday, so that was good.

And I won't be surprised to see posts from you about an add-on at Poly
I'm kind of worried about that too. In less than a year with no more pre-school and my car paid off I'm afraid about what i will do! Thankfully the contracts would require my husband to sign too so he can talk me off the ledge. He usually trusts my judgment and he actually loves PVB and WDW more than i do so I don't think he will be much help in stopping me. We'd probably be happy with a small contract to get a few nights each trip there. Just wait and watch!

The Poly has changed A LOT since I first went in 1973. The most recent updates, including the removal of the water feature in the lobby, and the change to the volcano pool and veranda, and the most recent change with the alligator fence, have really give the place a different vibe. I don't know how your in-laws will react to the changes. My wife and I were hugely disappointed, so much so that we won't stay there anymore. We do go back for the restaurants, but that's about all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter