Hagrid's Coaster Queue Updates / Questions / Reviews

I hate the free fall rides, too. I am going to summon all courage for this!

Having been on a ride with a similar drop track portion (The Guardian up here at Canada's Wonderland, whose drop is nearly twice as high) I can say you don't really *feel* it as a drop per-se because it's not that big, but more of a jolt to the system like an exhilarating jump into a really cold pool of water.

And everyone can probably go ahead and anticipate another delayed opening tomorrow if they cutoff the queue at 5 like last night. Ride needs a certain amount of time in between closing and re-opening the next day for maintenance and cycling. If they don't close it till after midnight, it's that much later the next day. It is well worth the wait.

Tbh, I was surprised they didn't close the queue until that evening. Since the wait time slowly kept decreasing I assumed that meant that whoever showed up in the morning, that was it, and then they were going to let that queue eventually end. To be honest, I think that makes that most sense, or at least to me, to stop letting people into the queue and once the queue is done, or almost done, if they have enough time prior to closing the park to accept more people into the queue until all this hype dies down. Especially with the long waits and the delays due to technical difficulties / weather.

Oooo I cant wait for this, I'll be there the first week of October, and will at IOA first thing on my first day, which due to jet lag wont be difficult.

First time I ride I will do the whole queue to get the whole experience a la Forbidden Journey, aaaaand, be a very brave boy and ride on the bike side which I think will terrify me, any rides after that will be single rider and probably in the sidecar, which will be fine by me!

Also I will ride close to park closing to get that night feel, probably on my first 2 nights before HHN kicks back in again at USO, whichever way you look at it I'm wishing the summer away, oh just remembered, are the lockers FJ style (hope not) or EFG style (Hope so) ?

I'll be going tomorrow morning! I'm planning to be there about two hours before park opening (it's a two hour drive to get there for me, so I don't think I can manage to get up any earlier than that). I have some movies loaded on my iPad, so I'm not worried about the wait other than trying to go to the restroom if I have to, since I'll be there solo and I won't have anyone else with me in line. I'll just have to make friends with the people next to me in line and ask them to hold my place if I have to go to the restroom. And I guess I should pick someone really recognizable so I can find them again when I try to get back in line. :P

We are here now. We got in line a little over an our ago. I was just going to stand in line with my teen. I don’t like roller coasters. About 40 minutes in line, they took everyone that didn’t have bags, much closer. At that point we split up and I got out of line. My son said that he thinks he’s about an hour from the ride. We shall see. If he does get on then the line waits are way off. They told us it would be a 6 hour wait but realistically it will probably be 3 or less.

There's no telling now. App shows that the ride is at capacity now instead of showing a wait time.

Thanks. we will be staying on property. Not going till August. So I guess we will see what happens. Not super invested. Certainly not 3 ++hours worth. Will Hagrid's ride be part of virtual line???
Going in August also (3rd week). I am willing to ropedrop this every day if I have to, but am curious what kind of waits I will end up with even doing that. If they did Early Admission at IOA I would love that.

I saw this today and couldn't help but think that this seemed more like a Disney ride..I thought I read somewhere that some Imagineers left and went to Universal...maybe they worked on this...
Shows the full ride from the front in case you don't want to see it yet..

One of my friend who rode today said something on FB about not being able to have a bag in line - I’m hoping she just meant in the last section of the queue once we’re past the lockers, right? Or can you not have bags in line at all, because that would really stink. Can anyone confirm? I’ve asked her to clarify, but she hasn’t responded yet and I’d like to know before I get there tomorrow if possible...

Edit: Yes, she finally clarified that it was only the final section of the queue (after the lockers in Hogsmeade) where bags aren’t allowed. But she said you *can* still have things in your pocket on the ride.

Last edited:
I saw this today and couldn't help but think that this seemed more like a Disney ride..I thought I read somewhere that some Imagineers left and went to Universal...maybe they worked on this...
Shows the full ride from the front in case you don't want to see it yet..
There’s an interesting history with Disney/Universal. Animal Kingdom was originally supposed to have a “Beastly Kingdom” Land, which is why there are dragons on the logo. The land itself looked amazing, with a dark and villainous area, including a dragon roller coaster and some other stuff, and a light fantastical side. This would have been Phase 2, but unfortunately AK didn’t do as well out of the gate so they put the brakes on it. (You can actually see a dragon rock formation on the north side of the bridge from Tiffins-Pandora as a memory of that.)

After Disney didn’t give the green light, a bunch of imagineers got very frustrated. So they went across town to Universal. And Islands of Adventure turned up with The Lost Continent. When Disney execs did a tour they realized how similar it was to the original AK plans, which is when they officially ended that plan.

https://themouselets.com/beastly-kingdom
Interesting it can lead to inspiration in both ways. Scott Trowbridge was a head designer for the early development of the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. Then came over to Disney and was in charge of Galaxy’s Edge. I love Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley and their level of immersion. Galaxy’s Edge blows them out of the world, and I appreciate that imagineers were able to get the ability to do so (probably because Disney realized how much of a competitor had developed at USO).

Is there a photo op on this ride? I haven't seen it mentioned and I'm not watching the videos for the spoilers.

FYI line is 8 hours again today, and back to the front of the park. People showed up at 5AM. The ride is running well so far today, hopefully that fact drops the waits somewhat, but the weekend factor may counter that.

Last edited:
I parked at 7:30, they started letting people in to start the line 5 minutes before 8, and I'm in the official section of the queue now (9:20), just past Hagrid's hut. Nearly there!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts