Hagrid's Coaster Queue Updates / Questions / Reviews

I can't remember if it was Saturday, or Sunday I checked (leaning more towards Sunday), I looked at the app at past 10, but well before 11 and it was already open (believe it was around 10:20). I can't remember the exact wait time (it was either 120, 150, or 180, as those seem to be the typical wait times), but I thought I would mention it as it was well before the typical "mid-day" opening and thought that was interesting.

Last edited:
Says it’s closed today. Why is that

Three theories of mine:
  1. It's been raining on and off where I am located which is Daytona. Looking at the map, it appears there might have been some weather in the Orlando area earlier too. It looks fairly clear now in the Orlando area from what I see in the radar, but there is more intense weather near the Orlando area. Might have thought it was best to close the full day due to the weather instead of playing yes, no, yes, no, with guests being able to go onto the ride, delaying it when weather is there, then opening when it's clear, and closing it again when weather comes, and repeat.
  2. Closing it in order to perform maintenance on the attraction and really get some work done since it'll be closed for a full day rather than only working on it at night once the park closes.
  3. Or a combination of the two. It's a horrible / unpredictable day for weather, so they use the time to close it for good for a day in order to get some real work done on the ride.

Last edited:
Three theories of mine:
  1. It's been raining on and off where I am located which is Daytona. Looking at the map, it appears there might have been some weather in the Orlando area earlier too. It looks fairly clear now in the Orlando area from what I see in the radar, but there is more intense weather approaching. Might have thought it was best to close the full day due to the weather instead of playing yes, no, yes, no, with guests being able to go onto the ride, delaying it when weather is there, then opening when it's clear, and closing it again when weather comes, and repeat.
  2. Closing it in order to perform maintenance on the attraction and really get some work done since it'll be closed for a full day rather than only working on it at night once the park closes.
  3. Or a combination of the two. It's a horrible / unpredictable day for weather, so they use the time to close it for good for a day in order to get some real work done on the ride.

So can this ride not run in any rain what so ever

Even a wee bit and they close it ?

So can this ride not run in any rain what so ever

Even a wee bit and they close it ?

Thunder and lightning they close it. If thunder and lightning strikes within a certain amount of distance they close down the ride due to it being outside. I believe it is within 10 miles of the park area.

Last edited:
So is hulk and rrr closed too

Hulk and RRR do close due to weather, but at the moment, no, they're not closed. They both have a wait time of 15 minutes. Hagrid's coaster is still closed. There is no actual reason / explanation as to why right now. So, it's anyone's guess as to why it's closed for the day. If it was closed due to weather it would say "delayed due to weather", not "closed" as it states right now.

EDIT: It's 5:25PM EST and still says "CLOSED", which means more than likely it is/was closed for the day. It'll be interesting to see what happens tomorrow.

Last edited:

Right now Hagrid is open with a 180 wait time.

However, I see storms in the Gulf of Mexico right now, so within a few hours that might change.

When Hagrid does open...does it stay open closing?

If the park is scheduled to close at 10pm, can you get in line at 9:59 or do they close the line off early?

The motorbike idea while great for theming is a disaster practically. The ride must be burning through parts like crazy. On top of unbalanced trains, from the video you see mostly men riding on the bike and women in the side card. Not great for weight distribution. They may need to scrap the bikes and go to regular vehicles.
The ride car is really similar (but themed totally different) to another ride that’s here in Australia by the same manufacturer. The older ride has been running reliably for over 10 years. I will say though most of the train is 2 bikes and then about 3 bike and side cars at the end of the train.

That rides track is pretty straight forward, I’m more suspicious of the drop track TBH.

If the park is scheduled to close at 10pm, can you get in line at 9:59 or do they close the line off early?

From what I've been seeing, they are closing the queue down well before closing. It is displayed as "At Capacity" on the app. Usually happens between 7-8pm. Maybe someone who has been can chime in.

For the last while, Universal has been opening it between 11am - 2:00pm and as the previous poster has noted, they close the line at around 7-8 pm so they can get through the rest of the line by roughly the time the park closes.

This has been because maintenance teams have needed around 12 hours (give or take) for nightly maintenance since it opened.

However, with the full day closure this past Monday, some are reporting they used that day for some significant programming updates, yesterday had very few technical issues, and that they are possibly close to having the ride opening closer to park open moving forward.

We'll have to see how things go over the next couple of weeks to see if they have continued improvement on operating hours and reduced amount of time needed for nightly maintenance

Like others have said usually it says "at capacity" prior to closing. However, I would imagine that once things become "normal" that you'd essentially be able to hop onto the ride a few minutes prior to the park closing and being able to enjoy the ride. At least that's how things seem to be typically for any other ride.

At this rate, we'll see how long it'll take for it to operate "normal". A month is about the rage give, or take for a soft opening period. So we've past that point. Right now is roughly estimated the time it would be if it was doing it's grand opening, which would still have a kink here and there, but all in all, a pretty well oiled machine. However, while we're in the realistic time frame of grand opening time, this is definitely not a well oiled machine with only a kink here and there. So it'll be interesting how things develop for the next few weeks.

ATM now it's open with 210 wait time.

Someone on another message board has noted the following:

"Went to the park on Tuesday and talked to the TM’s while the ride was down for 2 hours at park open. They’re trying to have 7 trains on the tracks at once, but 2 of the trains are having issues with sensors and safety restraints so they have to keep switching them on and off the tracks. They’re working intermittently. The goal is to eventually get to 12. Opening day they only had 3 operational.

Also, the computer and sensors for the backwards launch brakes got fried and they had to take an emergency trip to Switzerland and get new ones From Intamin.

They also plan to start opening with the park and closing around 5:00PM or so now so they can give tech some day light as well as all night to work on the attraction."

Its 90 days til I'm in Florida, I'm keenly optimistic that its going to be running smoothly by then, fingers crossed!

Today seemed like a pretty good day of operations.

They opened the ride soon after the park opened, didn't hear/see any mention of downtime, and it's still running (although showing as At Capacity which means they'll be shutting it down once the line empties).

Also read reports of line running faster than the stated wait times throughout the day.

Let's hope the good fortune continues.

I have read today that they are going to try to open the ride at park opening or close to, but they will be shutting the line down around 5.

So, don't wait if you really want to ride this ride.

We will see how it goes.

I have read today that they are going to try to open the ride at park opening or close to, but they will be shutting the line down around 5.

So, don't wait if you really want to ride this ride.

We will see how it goes.
Yes, this was in my news feed today. From what the article said, they are trying to have more "up" time, and avoid the afternoon storms which are causing some of the down time. I'd post a link, but not sure if it is ok to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!