Hagrid's Drop - Be Honest

butterscotchcollins

Drop Chicken
I want to ride when we're there on 8/30 but I am a HUGE chicken about drops and I don't want to wait for hours in line just to get scared the last minute and not board! So be honest - how bad is the drop? (I haven't ridden Gringott's either for this same fear and trying to psych myself up for that too.)

For reference at Disney I can do all the rides minus ToT and Splash Mountain (and skipped Pirates the last time...I'm a scaredy cat, I know) but at Universal I stick to the 3D coasters and more gentle rides.

Thanks in advance for your honest feedback! I'm so excited for our trip regardless but hoping I can experience what everyone is calling the best ride in Orlando :)

I wouldn't do it if I were you. You are going to be in a state of anxiety the entire 3+ hours u are in line wsiting. I think you should wait a year or so for either the wait times to go down significantly or it to be included w Express pass. I do all the coasters at Disney and Uni including Splash, RnR, Hulk and Rip ride rocket. I rode this about a week ago and sat in motorcyle position, not side car, and it propels you faster than Hollywood Studios Rock n Roller coaster...multiple times. There are alot of really fast twists but no true face plant drop that I remember. But it was so so fast I literally found myself waiting for it to end. I would do it again, knowing what happens, and would opt for side car position as you sit lower and it looks like I would feel more contained in the side car shell. In motorcycle position, I felt taller and more upright and my upper body felt more exposed than the side car riders looked, leading me to feel more vulnerable during the ride. I'm not a baby about roller coasters but this kinda brought me to my limit as rip ride rocket does, which I still do, it's just about as extreme as I go. I have absolutely no problems or fears with splash, rock n roller coaster or Hulk if that gives u an idea. I feel like if you are just tolerating splash and cant do tot or the other disney coasters, like EE, RNR, or Space, then this really isn't for u right for you at this time. I hope this helps.

I feel like if you are just tolerating splash and cant do tot or the other disney coasters, like EE, RNR, or Space, then this really isn't for u right for you at this time. I hope this helps.
Hate Splash for the drop but I love RnR and Space Mountain (have never done EE). To be clearer what I can't stand is that feeling in your stomach going down a drop - I don't mind speed or inversions but drops are rough.

Hmm thanks for the clarification. Now this is even tougher for me to answer as I only rode it once and can't really remember the specifics you are asking about, because I was a bit traumatized, so maybe someone else will come along and explain the ride better than me. Another idea is to see if you can find some youtube videos.I dont "think" there were major drops but it was fast so I dont remember, sorry

I want to ride when we're there on 8/30 but I am a HUGE chicken about drops and I don't want to wait for hours in line just to get scared the last minute and not board! So be honest - how bad is the drop? (I haven't ridden Gringott's either for this same fear and trying to psych myself up for that too.)

This doesn't really answer your question because I haven't been on it...I actually have a question for you. We're there the same day and I really want to ride this but I'm trying to figure out how the heck to fit it in after hearing all the reports of the lines. What's your touring strategy for this? I'm considering skipping it and come back to it on my next visit when it's (hopefully) calmed down some.

This doesn't really answer your question because I haven't been on it...I actually have a question for you. We're there the same day and I really want to ride this but I'm trying to figure out how the heck to fit it in after hearing all the reports of the lines. What's your touring strategy for this? I'm considering skipping it and come back to it on my next visit when it's (hopefully) calmed down some.
I can tell you what my touring strategy is NOT, which is rope dropping IoA and getting trampled at park opening (lol). Honestly I think we're in the same boat, considering skipping until a future date if the line is insane, but I am willing to wait like 2-2.5 hours for it provided someone reassures me I won't die of fright if I ride it :jester:

I can tell you what my touring strategy is NOT, which is rope dropping IoA and getting trampled at park opening (lol). Honestly I think we're in the same boat, considering skipping until a future date if the line is insane, but I am willing to wait like 2-2.5 hours for it provided someone reassures me I won't die of fright if I ride it :jester:

Right?! I think I'm going to rope drop US because last I looked, IoA has early opening for hotel guests and we're staying at WDW for our whole trip. I don't think anyone in my party would be willing to wait so this is most likely a next time for me. I really hope you don't die, let me know if you do ride it and survive! 😂

I have learned that it's really hard to gauge based on others' opinions though. I've asked these kinds of questions in the past to differing results. I personally can do most rides but Forbidden Journey made me SO sick, that's a never again for me. Rereading your post, can you do Rock 'n Roller Coaster or any of the other coasters? Gringott's is one of my favorites at USO so I would definitely try to ride that one since you haven't before (especially if you're an HP fan!). To me, it was gentler than RnRC, the Hulk, Rip Ride Rockit (which I won't ride again because I don't trust that it's safe. lol.), and Revenge of the Mummy, but I'm not sure if you ride any of those. Lol.

I wouldn't do it if I were you. You are going to be in a state of anxiety the entire 3+ hours u are in line wsiting. I think you should wait a year or so for either the wait times to go down significantly or it to be included w Express pass. I do all the coasters at Disney and Uni including Splash, RnR, Hulk and Rip ride rocket. I rode this about a week ago and sat in motorcyle position, not side car, and it propels you faster than Hollywood Studios Rock n Roller coaster...multiple times. There are alot of really fast twists but no true face plant drop that I remember. But it was so so fast I literally found myself waiting for it to end. I would do it again, knowing what happens, and would opt for side car position as you sit lower and it looks like I would feel more contained in the side car shell. In motorcycle position, I felt taller and more upright and my upper body felt more exposed than the side car riders looked, leading me to feel more vulnerable during the ride. I'm not a baby about roller coasters but this kinda brought me to my limit as rip ride rocket does, which I still do, it's just about as extreme as I go. I have absolutely no problems or fears with splash, rock n roller coaster or Hulk if that gives u an idea. I feel like if you are just tolerating splash and cant do tot or the other disney coasters, like EE, RNR, or Space, then this really isn't for u right for you at this time. I hope this helps.

The top speed of Hagrids is only 50mph. That is slower than all the others you mentioned. RnR goes 65 on the launch. Hulk is 67. Rip Ride Rockit is 65. Everest is also 50mph. I think you were feeling the ILLUSION of more speed on Hagrids due to the seating position. I haven't yet been on it, but I have not read any reviews that mention it feels very fast.

OP, the drop portion is 17 feet. That is not very far. I get why you hate that stomach drop feeling. I hate it too, but love drop rides. All you need to do is take a deep breath right before the drop and forcefully exhale like you are blowing out birthday candles when it happens, or scream. You won't feel anything. On this ride, watch some YouTube videos and take note of the timing during the devil's snare room so you know when to take the breath and when to start screaming. I can't wait to ride this. My kids are dying to as well, and they won't ride RnR, Hulk, or RIP Ride. Everest is about their limit. So, I think this will be perfect for them.

Right?! I think I'm going to rope drop US because last I looked, IoA has early opening for hotel guests and we're staying at WDW for our whole trip.

We ARE staying at Universal and I can say that the early admission is only for US, not IoA during the rest of August and September so that won't be an issue.

Still, after watching the YouTube videos, I will NOT be riding Hagrids. I am a chicken who hates drops even though I love speed and spinning. Hagrids is not for me!

We ARE staying at Universal and I can say that the early admission is only for US, not IoA during the rest of August and September so that won't be an issue.

Still, after watching the YouTube videos, I will NOT be riding Hagrids. I am a chicken who hates drops even though I love speed and spinning. Hagrids is not for me!

Thanks for the info! I looked months ago so I'm sure it's changed with the demand of Hagrid's. Might want to re-evaluate my plans. lol.

To be honest - how bad is the drop? (I haven't ridden Gringott's either for this same fear and trying to psych myself up for that too.)

I cannot answer your Hagrid question (haven't been on it), but I'm going to let you know about Gringott's.

As a person who doesn't like drops (but sucks it up and does them anyway), I want to say the "drop" at the beginning of Gringott's is not really a drop. The track tilts downwards and due to the darkness you disappear into, it looks intimidating and looks as if you're going to drop, but once you disappear into the darkness, it actually seems to go forward rather than downward like a drop. If you sit in the front row you probably won't feel anything at all since you're facing the darkness and you're the first row to disappear into it (at most go down 2-3 feet).

The two "roller coaster" bits only last 6-7 seconds (sounds silly, but I've counted myself) and within the roller coaster parts which are in complete darkness, there are no dramatic drops. A few dips (at most 2-4 feet) and swerves, but not a butterfly inducing drop.

I always recommend that if people are petrified of roller coasters that it's definitely a coaster they can handle, as the only thing intimidating about it is the "unknown" quality of what will happen as both parts are in a completely dark space.

Last edited:
I am a BIG ride chicken - no flume rides or outdoor coasters for me! I probably won't be riding Hagrid's during my trip in a couple of weeks but I might down the road. I tolerated Mummy but LOVE Gringotts!

I'm kind of reading these replies in a bit of shock. I'm no big roller coaster guy at all. I hate "drops" where you feel it in your stomach. Rock n Roller is too much for me. Hulk was (surprisingly) tolerable, but once per day is all.

Hagrid's is absolutely amazing, and I never felt sick, or like I wanted it to end. I wanted to ride it again and again. There are no stomach-churning drops, and the one "drop track" section is more of a mental surprise than a physical jolt. It is very smooth.

My advice would be to just go for it, and do not watch YouTube videos beforehand. Just take it in and enjoy it.

Again, I don't do big coasters and easily get headaches/etc. from this stuff... Hagrid's is thrilling, but in the best possible way. I'm sure it's not for everybody, but I'd just hate for anybody to miss out because they were afraid of any drop. There's nothing to be scared of on this ride unless you don't like a little speed.

I am terrified of coasters. Have rode RnRC and rode Hagrid’s. Once each and never to be done again! 😂

But the only drop I can think of didn’t bother me at all. Dd thought it was going to but I almost didn’t even notice it. It’s so quick. I honestly said “that’s it?” 😂 You mention Pirates, it’s nothing like that drop which although I love Pirates does give me some anxiety.

And I will say that if RnRC didn’t bother you, I don’t think Hagrid’s will. Watching videos probably was worse for me because being on the ride seemed faster than the videos made it seem. It’s only going 50 but it really does feel like you are on a flying motorcycle. For me, it felt faster than RnRC but it’s just part of the effect I am guessing the multiple launches are a part of that.

It’s an amazing ride and worth doing at least once.

I haven't been on the ride yet because of how long the lines are, but whenever I'm going to try a new ride, I always look up videos on youtube first. I then look at the comments because a lot of people leave their reviews. You also get to see the layout of the ride and how fast it goes.

At Epcot, The fastest Test Track goes is 65 mph, HMA's max speed is 50 mph. Maybe the next time you go to Epcot ride TT and see how you feel.

I had to look up soooo many things about the Mummy ride at Universal because of how nervous I was to ride it. I found videos that showed the track layout. I even looked at blueprints haha. I then searched reviews and reading them made me feel like I knew what I was getting myself into.

IF you do not want the ride spoiled, don 't watch any videos. But... I will say there is a drop track in the ride. From just watching a video it's just a small portion of the ride, and there is an audio cue that tells you it's going to happen.

I really hope this helped. Have a magical day!! :love:

I haven't been on the ride yet because of how long the lines are, but whenever I'm going to try a new ride, I always look up videos on youtube first. I then look at the comments because a lot of people leave their reviews. You also get to see the layout of the ride and how fast it goes.

At Epcot, The fastest Test Track goes is 65 mph, HMA's max speed is 50 mph. Maybe the next time you go to Epcot ride TT and see how you feel.

I had to look up soooo many things about the Mummy ride at Universal because of how nervous I was to ride it. I found videos that showed the track layout. I even looked at blueprints haha. I then searched reviews and reading them made me feel like I knew what I was getting myself into.

IF you do not want the ride spoiled, don 't watch any videos. But... I will say there is a drop track in the ride. From just watching a video it's just a small portion of the ride, and there is an audio cue that tells you it's going to happen.

I really hope this helped. Have a magical day!! :love:

Just be careful with the videos. I watched them, dd watched them, sil watched them. We all said the same thing, the videos seems a LOT slower than the ride felt. They were excited that it seemed faster, I, on the other hand, was not. LOL

The drop really, honestly feels like nothing.

I personally can do most rides but Forbidden Journey made me SO sick, that's a never again for me.

I strongly recommend getting a prescription strength transderm scop patch if you ever want to try it again. I tried accupressure and all kinds of mental tricks and just could NOT ride this thing without getting SOOO sick but last trip, I asked my doctor for a patch and I don't think I'll ever try another trip to a theme park or cruise without one, I never felt nauseated on any ride! YMMV, but it was a fantastic discovery for someone getting older and less able to do the screen rides.

I strongly recommend getting a prescription strength transderm scop patch if you ever want to try it again. I tried accupressure and all kinds of mental tricks and just could NOT ride this thing without getting SOOO sick but last trip, I asked my doctor for a patch and I don't think I'll ever try another trip to a theme park or cruise without one, I never felt nauseated on any ride! YMMV, but it was a fantastic discovery for someone getting older and less able to do the screen rides.

Thanks, that's a good suggestion! I have noticed that my ability to tolerate rides is getting worse. It used to just be anything that spins but now I'm iffy on screen rides and can't do coasters back-to-back. I've had great success using Bonine before going out boating so I think I'm going to bring some for the trip. You just reminded me to go pick some up since we leave in a week!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!