Hagrid's Drop - Be Honest

Agreed, sit towards the back at that part you go up maybe 5 feet lol. And you can request to sit in the back, you don’t have to be stuck in the front!

The hill through the ruins is really not very high (I’m also terrified of heights so no thanks to those) and the exit is a banked curve, not really a drop, I wouldn’t worry about it. Promise.
Thank you very much for taking the time to reply, oddly I found the drop on Gringotts quite intense although small, and the same on Flight of the Hippogriff but I’m forcing myself back on as I’ve done them and hope they may make me get used to the feelings.

Forbidden journey was the easiest for me as I am fine with spinning and so on and up swore down if my minds taken off of it and I have things to look at, I guess Hagrids is worst as you also seem to have to queue for generally hours which only makes anxiety build

Morning Deb1993, thanks for all you’re replies, I’ve never ridden ToT, RnRC, EE, AK (not even sure what any of those are) lol

I will be there end of September into October and am really trying hard to get the courage to try this ride and all you guys replies are starting to help, I just need to find it within myself to push through the barrier.

So the back or near the backs best and least intense place, or is that just for the spike backwards part to remove the high point (which is ideal imo for the first go anyway) thanks
You're welcome! The good thing about Hagrid is that you can see the ride from some of the queue and it just looks like so much fun. I think the back or near the back is best for the spike and I think generally good for the whole thing - it's not that intense - just fast.

You can kind of tell how intense a coaster will be based on the headrest. If there's a headrest the ride is generally more intense than if there isn't one. Hagrid has no headrest.

I'm hoping you'll give it a try. Maybe have a cocktail beforehand. :-)

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply, oddly I found the drop on Gringotts quite intense although small, and the same on Flight of the Hippogriff but I’m forcing myself back on as I’ve done them and hope they may make me get used to the feelings.

Forbidden journey was the easiest for me as I am fine with spinning and so on and up swore down if my minds taken off of it and I have things to look at, I guess Hagrids is worst as you also seem to have to queue for generally hours which only makes anxiety build
For the Gringotts drop we specifically request last row of the last car in order to get the most thrill from that first drop. To minimize the drop ask for seat first row, first car.

You're welcome! The good thing about Hagrid is that you can see the ride from some of the queue and it just looks like so much fun. I think the back or near the back is best for the spike and I think generally good for the whole thing - it's not that intense - just fast.

You can kind of tell how intense a coaster will be based on the headrest. If there's a headrest the ride is generally more intense than if there isn't one. Hagrid has no headrest.

I'm hoping you'll give it a try. Maybe have a cocktail beforehand. :-)
Thanks, so far I’m being swayed more to doing it and sitting at the back, worst case it’s 3 mins only and I tried, we will see when I get there I guess lol

But I’m kinda excited now about trying it

For the Gringotts drop we specifically request last row of the last car in order to get the most thrill from that first drop. To minimize the drop ask for seat first row, first car.
I was in the back seat and then the second row on gringotts and found both fun tbh

That rides really good, but the drop did catch me off guard a little lol

As the person who started this thread and conquered my fear and ABSOLUTELY LOVED LOVED LOVED this ride I want to reassure you and empower you to be brave! (And give you a big hug because I know that’s hard!)

Drops really are not a factor here (note: I am a self-described drop chicken) so you don’t have to worry about that. It’s a relatively “flat” coaster - even the hills are banked and curved in such a way that you don’t feel like you’re dropping, it’s much more like Flight of the Hippogriff in that sense.

You mentioned speed as well, and while it IS a fast coaster it feels a lot like the “fast” parts of Escape from Gringotts, there are just a lot more if them. I would recommend riding in the sidecar for the sense of cozy security.

You can absolutely do this and if you liked Gringotts you will like this ride. And if you don’t love it you never have to do it again, but I just wanted to reassure that it is coaster-phobia friendly to try.

Signed,
The drop chicken who started this thread and needed a lot of reassurance to be brave, cried in line cuz I was scared (legit cried, bless my patient now-husband), and left the ride laughing and clapping with glee.

Hi there, we’ll I’m off to Universal this Thursday and your posts have really helped and I’m hyped to go on Hagrids

How is The Mummy vs this and have you don’t that also as I’m trying to workout if I can do both

I will let you know if and when I’ve been on them as many of you here have really helped me to mentally prepare to be excited to do hagrids over the fear of doing it for these past weeks :-)

Hagrids may be my all time favorite ride. It is thrilling in a totally accessible family friendly way. We went in blind so the drop was a shock the first time around, but in an “oh my gosh I can’t wait to try this again!” kind of way. I am not a roller coaster person as a rule but this is everything FUN about slinky or mine train multiplied by about a thousand.

Comparing this drop to a flume ride is totally misleading. It’s more like Rise in that respect, but I like Hagrids much more than Rise.

TBH I’m not not a huge fan of forbidden journey and can take or leave escape from Gringotts, but Hagrids (and hanging out in the lands) makes the whole universal trip worthwhile for me.

Hagrids may be my all time favorite ride. It is thrilling in a totally accessible family friendly way. We went in blind so the drop was a shock the first time around, but in an “oh my gosh I can’t wait to try this again!” kind of way. I am not a roller coaster person as a rule but this is everything FUN about slinky or mine train multiplied by about a thousand.

Comparing this drop to a flume ride is totally misleading. It’s more like Rise in that respect, but I like Hagrids much more than Rise.

TBH I’m not not a huge fan of forbidden journey and can take or leave escape from Gringotts, but Hagrids (and hanging out in the lands) makes the whole universal trip worthwhile for me.

Thanks for the reply, what’s Rise ?

FYI, if you avoid the crush of Early Entry and wait to ride Hagrid's later in the day, the waits will be shorter. I rode it twice this past week, once when the posted wait was 60 minutes (timed out to actually 52) and 45 minutes (timed out to 37). Mealtimes are good, sometimes midafternoon as well, but that also can mean rain and the ride shutting down.

One thing you can do is put the Universal app on your phone, mark the rides you want to go on as "Favorites" (click the little heart to turn it red), then they will always show up under the heading, "My Favorites". You can put shops, shows, restaurants in favorites as well.

The great thing about the rides is you can set an alert on the app when the wait time on rides drops to a specific time and your phone will notify you, then you can hustle over quickly. I did this with both Hagrid and Velocicoaster since I had Express for the other rides. You have to reset the alert each day, but it's a big help. I set Hagrid's for 50 minutes and Velocicoaster for 25 minutes and got alerted. You'll get a feel for the usual wait times if you check the app often.

Hi there, we’ll I’m off to Universal this Thursday and your posts have really helped and I’m hyped to go on Hagrids

How is The Mummy vs this and have you don’t that also as I’m trying to workout if I can do both

I will let you know if and when I’ve been on them as many of you here have really helped me to mentally prepare to be excited to do hagrids over the fear of doing it for these past weeks :-)

YAAASSS I AM HYPE FOR YOU!!!! Nothing to fear you are going to LOVE it!!!

If you can do Hagrids and you can do Gringotts you can definitely do Mummy. I love Mummy (again, I am a huge chicken so that should tell you something!). The show elements make it seem like it’s going to be super scary and intense but the drops are pretty smooth and not high - it’s just dark, like Gringotts.

So do Hagrid’s first, you’re gonna love it, and when your confidence is up if you’re in the mood for more fun do Mummy! If you’re like “that’s enough thrill for one day” that’s OK too. Have fun, can’t wait for your report back!

YAAASSS I AM HYPE FOR YOU!!!! Nothing to fear you are going to LOVE it!!!

If you can do Hagrids and you can do Gringotts you can definitely do Mummy. I love Mummy (again, I am a huge chicken so that should tell you something!). The show elements make it seem like it’s going to be super scary and intense but the drops are pretty smooth and not high - it’s just dark, like Gringotts.

So do Hagrid’s first, you’re gonna love it, and when your confidence is up if you’re in the mood for more fun do Mummy! If you’re like “that’s enough thrill for one day” that’s OK too. Have fun, can’t wait for your report back!

Hi thanks for the reply, unfortunately our flight tomorrows been cancelled (as we expected due to hurricane Ian) so waiting to see when the next flights are that we can go on (if at all this coming month else we’ll be re-booking at a later date or next year) :-(

Such a shame, but more importantly we have to hope all there and the residents etc are safe and well

Hi all having completed my second trip to universal this year in Nov I wanted to report back regarding rides. I hope this helps others.

I am booked for Disney for 2023 and have a long list of just ride rides incl Tron (if open), Everest, Slinky, Guardians, Seven Dwarfs, The Aerosmith one etc

Anyway this is hopefully going to help others with some of the universal rides if you are worried or anxious about rides…

I’m no ride fan at all and hate coasters and drops (or I thought I did) as it seems it maybe more of a fear of heights when exposed more… Anyway here are my review’s which may help others just try rides as I did.
Until this yeah the max I had done was big thunder mountain as a kid back in the 90’s.
First time back visiting since then was this year 2022 and I went on the rides in this order:

Flight of the Hippogriff - I did this as a tester and was in the back row. I built myself up to be so against rides I thought I’d hate it, I’m no drop fan so I wanted to ease myself in and did it, it was fine.

Forbidden journey - I knew nothing of this and as soon as I saw it I was worried, shoulder harness to hold you etc and I literally couldn’t speak to my gf as we got on it. My anxiety was high but as it got going it was amazing and was one of my fav rides. However my gf has no fear of rides at all but does get motion sickness and I ended up back on this as a single rider

Gringotts - I knew there was a drop right at the start as you tilt, but trust me being someone who hated drops this was fine, less than 2 seconds and it’s over and the rest of the rides amazing.

The Mummy - I was petrified on the way to this one as I knew it was meant to be worse than all those already ridden. It said it was was a 25 min wait so I forced myself into the queue. Less than 5 mins and there it was…

After boarding I didn’t know what I was doing BUT the Mummy is worth every second. There are not real big drops, felt like Gringotts but everything about it was so much fun. It’s dark yes. The first time I was petrified, until the fast bit started then it became my fav ride instantly as I love speed and sudden acceleration.

Change of lockers and straight back on and hands up the entirety of the ride from the uphill launch.

Hagrids - phenomenal is all I can say, the launches are smooth and immense, the theme throughout so well done and tbh this and the mummy are level as my favourites.
The sidecar felt more secure so sit there if nervous, but my second ride I did the bike and it was amazing. One thing with hagrids which you won’t believe until you do it (as I didn’t) is you’ll just be happy and smiling the whole time…

Trust me, do it, or use the order above to slowly build yourself up to each next one and get your breathing right as you wait and go on each when the queues are shorter to lower the anxiety buildup.

I was trying to build up the guts to try veloci towards the end but having the fear of the top hat drop (nothing else about that ride bothers me) kept stopping me, as the queue never dropped below 170 mins I couldn’t bring myself to do it but the next time I’m there I have to kill that fear off and just do it.

I really hope anyone reading this gets help from it to at lease try and do the mummy and hagrids if nothing else as they really are amazing non scary rides 👍🏻

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter