Half a can of sweetened cond. milk?

bananiem

It's like Annie Bananie only it's just Bananie M.<
This is so dumb. My macaroni salad recipe makes a TON of salad. I can cut it in half but then I'm stuck with half a can of leftover sweetened condensed milk. I usually throw it out but feel guilty. Does anybody have a recipe for anything that requires half a can?
thanks!
I haven't been on the CB much but I'm guessing Pumba can help me out! ;)

Hi!!

I am not Pumba, but you can freeze your leftover sweetened condensed milk and use it the next time a recipe calls for it.

No way! Really? How do you defrost it? Does it stay creamy or get chunky?

This isn't an easy recipe, but it's very good. I remembered that it used part of a can because I hate to throw it out, too. :) Can you share your macaroni salad recipe?

Chocolate Covered Cherry Cookies
These cookies take a while to make, but they are worth it. They’re very rich, so make when you have a crowd to serve.
From Southern Living 1999 Annual Recipes
1 (10 oz) jar maraschino cherries
½ cup butter or margarine, softened
1 cup sugar
1 large egg
1-1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1-1/2 cup flour
½ cup cocoa
¼ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
1 cup (6 oz) semisweet chocolate morsels
½ cup sweetened condensed milk
1. Drain cherries, reserving 3 tsp juice. Cut cherries in half, and set aside.
2. Beat butter and sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy.
3. Add egg, vanilla, and 2 tsp reserved cherry juice, beating until blended.
4. Combine flour and next 4 ingredients; gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating until blended after each addition.
5. Shape dough into 1-inch balls, and place on ungreased cookie sheets. Press center of each ball with thumb, and place 1 cherry half in each cookie.
6. Cook chocolate and milk in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally, until melted.
7. Stir in remaining 1 tsp reserved cherry juice. Cool slightly. Spoon 1 tsp mixture over each cherry half.
8. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes. Freeze up to 3 months.
6 dozen

Macaroni Salad
1 pint mayonnaise
1 c. white vinegar
1 can sweetend condensed milk
1/2 c. sugar (or less)
1 lb. macaroni
1 green pepper
3 carrots, grated
1 small red onion, chopped
Mix first 4 ingredients. Cook macaroni per package directions. Cool. Add vegetables, dressing, mix and refrigerate overnight.

How easy is that?! I use less sugar and cut the recipe in half because it makes a ton of salad.
Thanks for the cookie recipe! It sounds just like something I'd like.:D

If you put the can of sweetened condensed milk in a pan of boiling water & then simmer for a while, you'll eventually get caramel... you could always have sundaes! :)

(If you're using a full can, you need to have it simmering for 1 1/2 or more... you'd have to experiment with the half can... you want it to get thick & caramel colored)

Sounds to me like you need to make cookies and macaroni salad and you'll have it made. ;)

I never knew I could freeze SCM. Thanks for the info!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter