half marathon spectators

sweetmama17

Mouseketeer
I'm running the half marathon at WDW in January 18. My question is whether spectators (with park admission, we have passes) can access Epcot through the IG to see the end part of the race. I think we will be staying at the Swan and with a 5 and 2 year old my DH won't be getting up to go to MK or anything and this would be the best and easiest option for race viewing. I will probably finish in 2-215 range so probably before the park officially opens. If the IG is not open is there a bus to the front of Epcot?

I'm running the half marathon at WDW in January 18. My question is whether spectators (with park admission, we have passes) can access Epcot through the IG to see the end part of the race. I think we will be staying at the Swan and with a 5 and 2 year old my DH won't be getting up to go to MK or anything and this would be the best and easiest option for race viewing. I will probably finish in 2-215 range so probably before the park officially opens. If the IG is not open is there a bus to the front of Epcot?

If you're expecting to finish in 2:15, you'll almost certainly be done before Epcot opens. The best bet would be for your family to take a bus to the front of Epcot and watch you at the finish line.

I really hope you mean January 6. There's no runDisney race on the 18th.

She said in January 18 (e.g. January 2018), not on January 18. :)

I really hope you mean January 6. There's no runDisney race on the 18th.

As such, depending on how fast (or in this case, slow) you run, Epcot may or may not be open for guests. The last of the runners should be out the corrals by 6:30, and they give the runners 3:30 to run the half. Basically, running ends at 10:00 am. Epcot opens at 9 for guests to come in. IG will be open at that time.

Edit: I just noticed you're a 2-2:15 pace. In that case, Epcot might not be open. There will be buses from The Swolphin that will go to the front of Epcot.

It's also possible the course will run you past The Swan and Dolphin. They may be able to see you there, unless everyone wants to meet up at the finish.

Um ... the Half Marathon course historically doesn't even get to World Showcase, let alone out to the Resort Area for Marathon Weekend.

@FelisLachesis - I know you want to be helpful, but sometimes you need to pump the brakes on misinformation until you actually participate in the race weekend. :confused3

If you're expecting to finish in 2:15, you'll almost certainly be done before Epcot opens. The best bet would be for your family to take a bus to the front of Epcot and watch you at the finish line.

She said in January 18 (e.g. January 2018), not on January 18. :)
Oh! Duh! That makes more sense.

Um ... the Half Marathon course historically doesn't even get to World Showcase, let alone out to the Resort Area for Marathon Weekend.

@FelisLachesis - I know you want to be helpful, but sometimes you need to pump the brakes on misinformation until you actually participate in the race weekend. :confused3
fair enough. My fault.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!