Halfway spot between DLR and San Diego

cindyland

Mouseketeer
I'm not super familiar with So Cal, and planning to meet a friend from San Diego for dinner. She's new to SD area, so we're not sure where to meet with traffic, etc. Where would those of you familiar with the area recommend we meet (towns)? TIA.

Oceanside, considering the traffic, is the mid point. Its not the nicest beach community in north county but it is not that bad and has some good places it eat. Be careful taking the 5 on the weekend. It can get pretty nasty in-between Oceanside and San Clemente, especially on Sunday afternoons.

Last edited:
Going on a Tuesday afternoon in July, around 5:00...I know we'll be dealing with commuter traffic.

Last edited:
It really depends on where in SD she is. If you have more flexibility than she does because she’s coming from work and you can leave earlier, I’d suggest going as far as Carlsbad to meet her. That way she doesn’t have to sit in quite as much traffic.

Traffic will be brutal either way, plan for 2 hours to the halfway point and be happy if it is less!

There are many great restaurants in Carlsbad. Not so much Oceanside. I agree go to Carlsbad. Bonus: there's a nice outlet mall right off the freeway in Carlsbad so you can head down a bit earlier to avoid traffic and do some shopping.

San Clemente might be what you're looking for. Nice beach town, plenty of dining options. Might want both look at using Amtrak as you're driving at peak traffic times.

If you are traveling at commute time ... maybe you can look at taking the Pacific Surfliner and either meeting at a stop halfway or one of you going all the way to the other. The train tickets are not too expensive and it is a beautiful ride along the coast for the majority of that stretch.

I agree on Carlsbad, or even you leaving early and going all the way to SD to meet her. Traffic will be brutal that time of day.

Oceanside. There's a Ruby's Diner at the end of Oceanside pier. I like Oceanside because it's not full of the super ritzy, super expensive places to eat like other beach communities in southern CA can often have. It's more laid back, lots more locals.

There is also a Ruby's Diner in Carlsbad at the Outlet Mall, if the OP wants to throw in some shopping with dining.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!