Halloween at DL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoesmama03

DIS Veteran
Do they do the same big party type stuff? I'm wanting to go over for my dd's birthday in July but if not I may see about Halloween. The weather would be more comfortable too. And for the 6th annual Disney costume for my child. She was Minnie first, then JoJO, Jessie(Toy Story) and Snow White the last two years. Opps mommy had a rough patch financially and she rewore her Snow White. :guilty: She did so happily though. ;)

She still wears her Jessie and Snow White for dress up. But JoJo was too much of a pain since she couldn't get it on herself easily. Minnie was the same until she outgrew it completely and I donated it to the kids crisis shelter I worked for long ago.

Anyway DL does have the same celebrations I hope???

Halloween at Disneyland is awesome! They have Halloween trick or treat parties often and for me, just seeing the re-vamped Haunted Mansion was sooooo worth it. This year Space Mountain was awesome too! I was there for the 4th of July and Halloween and I think that Halloween was better... hands down.

The “Halloween stuff” takes place in CA, not DL. It’s more subtle than the one in WDW. I found this list from the allears website about last year’s party.

25 Treat Stops located throughout Disney's California Adventure
All your favorite Disney's California Adventure rides and attractions
A Hollywood Bat-Lot Bash in Hollywood Pictures Backlot
A nightly "Mickey's Trick-or-Treat on the Street" cavalcade
Character photo locations featuring Disney villains, princesses and other
Pirate's Wharf, a transformation of the Pacific Wharf area into an entertainment area, photo location, craft area and games area.

We had a blast in 2007! :)

The “Halloween stuff” takes place in CA, not DL. It’s more subtle than the one in WDW. I found this list from the allears website about last year’s party.

25 Treat Stops located throughout Disney's California Adventure
All your favorite Disney's California Adventure rides and attractions
A Hollywood Bat-Lot Bash in Hollywood Pictures Backlot
A nightly "Mickey's Trick-or-Treat on the Street" cavalcade
Character photo locations featuring Disney villains, princesses and other
Pirate's Wharf, a transformation of the Pacific Wharf area into an entertainment area, photo location, craft area and games area.

We had a blast in 2007! :)

True, all this stuff mentioned above is in DCA for the Trick or Treat Party, as well as special decorations they only put up for the Party that are not up during the day. In the daytime, there is also Candy Corn Acres. However, in DL, there are Villains photo opportunities during Halloweentime. The Villains are at the Trick or Treat Party in DCA at night for Photo Ops, but they moved the daytime Villain Photo Ops over to DL last year, right near IASW, whereas they had been in DCA during the daytime in 2008.

Also, DL has the Halloween Round-Up, where you can decorate cookies, learn how to carve Disney character pumpkins and take pictures with Woody and Jessie.

DL has the extremely popular Haunted Mansion Holiday, and last year they also had Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy. Plus, there is a Day of the Dead display in Frontierland, near the Ray Bradbury "Halloween Tree," and those are quite cool.

Last year saw the first Halloween fireworks show at DL, with Jack Skellington as Master of Scareamonies, and featuring all kinds of music from the Disney Villains.

Of course, there are all kinds of carved Disney pumpkins up and down Main Street in window displays - anchored by the giant Mickey pumpkin at the entrance - and around the Partners statue as well. Sometimes they will change up the Mickey floral at the entrance to DL and make it a mini-pumpkin display Mickey, but they didn't do it last year. However, there are all kinds of great character pumpkins above the turnstile area to get into DL. In fact, even though I greatly enjoy Christmastime at DL over Halloweentime at DL in general, I actually prefer the Halloween Disney character pumpkins above the turnstiles over the snowflake/icicle things above the turnstiles during the holidays.

I am posting some photos from the Halloweentime, ranging from 2007 - 2009, including special PhotoPass borders and photo ops at the Trick or Treat Party, so the OP can see a sampling of what DLR has to offer during this most festive and spooky season. This is only a portion of the things happening at DLR, but you can get a good idea this way - I posted some of these last year in another Halloweentime-related thread, but now I am adding in photos from 2009, too:

Here are pictures from Halloweentime, 2007 & 2008:

image032.jpg

image037.jpg

image049.jpg

image062.jpg

image065.jpg

image072.jpg

image084.jpg

HalloweenTime-Disneyland-9-07-1.jpg

PartnersTomorrowlandPumpkins-Dis-1.jpg

Pumpkins-Disneyland-9-07-1.jpg

IMG_04331.jpg

008_16A.jpg

019_4A-1.jpg

018_5A-1.jpg

015_8A-1.jpg

016_10A.jpg

image041.jpg

image108.jpg

image035.jpg

image027.jpg

image080.jpg

And here are some photos (including PhotoPass) from Halloweentime 2009 - you can see certain elements in the background, like pumpkins around the Partners statue, etc.:

IMG_0076.jpg

IMG_0077.jpg

IMG_0079.jpg

In Frontierland, here is the Ray Bradbury Halloween tree...

IMG_0100.jpg

IMG_0101.jpg

IMG_0102.jpg

IMG_0103.jpg

And the Day of the Dead display....

IMG_0104.jpg

IMG_0105.jpg

IMG_0106.jpg

Haunted Mansion Holiday

IMG_0112.jpg

IMG_0113.jpg

IMG_0115.jpg

IMG_0123.jpg

And the Villains photo op near It's a Small World. We only got Captain Hook and Queen of Hearts, as Maleficent took off for a break before we reached her.

IMG_0124.jpg

IMG_0126.jpg

IMG_0128.jpg

PhotoPass pictures:

Notice we got the Winking Mickey side this time:

Image0058.jpg

Image0236.jpg

Image0442.jpg

Image0515.jpg

Our trip last year was in October and we loved it. DS4's favorite thing to do was point out "Mickey pumpkins" on every banner and every time we saw the big one (in Sherry's photos) and over the turnstiles. Our whole family loved the Halloween fireworks (shown every night) and the Haunted Mansion overlay with the Nightmare Before Christmas stuff. Have your daughter watch the movie before you go or it won't make much sense.

If she likes coasters and they do the Ghost Galaxy overlay on Space Mountain again, that's something extra too. Some kids found it scary; YMMV.

We didn't get to the Trick or Treat party in DCA, but it sounds like it's right up your alley. Also, the fall goodies were delicious -- pumpkin muffins and fudge, "Mickey pumpkin" candy apples, etc.

I don't think you'd be disappointed going at Halloween. It does get busier than you'd think, so make sure you have a plan.

PHXscuba

What characters are out for Halloween? Specifically what characters are dressed for the holiday? What villians are out? We love to find characters at wdw and this is our first dl trip!

Also who is that in the pic with Ratcliff and Queen of Hearts?

Several of the villains are out, like in Sherry's pictures. Jack Skellington and Sally are near the HM.

We saw Mickey as a vampire I think, also Mickey and Minnie as farmers in Candy Corn Acres in DCA along with Goofy the farmer. My kids saw Goofy in a skeleton suit when I wasn't there, plus Donald dressed up but I don't recall what he was. Both of those last ones were near the firehouse near the DL entrance.

PHXscuba

What characters are out for Halloween? Specifically what characters are dressed for the holiday? What villians are out? We love to find characters at wdw and this is our first dl trip!

Also who is that in the pic with Ratcliff and Queen of Hearts?

That's Don Karnage in the photo with the Queen and Ratcliff - I guess he was part of the old Tale Spin shows back in the '90s.

The Villains that are out for Halloween in the parks and/or the Trick or Treat Party are all the ones in my photos above, as well as Cruella, Maleficent, Jafar - pretty much all the major Villains. But only some of them go to the designated Villains photo spot (which was in Disneyland in 2009, but was in California Adventrue in 2008). The rest may just roam around.

plus Donald dressed up but I don't recall what he was.

Donald was dressed up as a pumpkin. Minnie was a witch. Pluto only had some special violet collar, I guess he was supposed to be a vampire too. Chip & Dale wore cop & jail outfits in 2008. We did not see them in costume last year.

Thanks for helping my leaky memory, Vala. I was thinking Donald was a ghost, but then remembered that was in a Disney Singalong video my son used to watch over and over and over. Minnie did make a very cute witch, too!

I was at WDW in Sept 08 after their Halloween stuff went up, and I think DLR does MUCH more than WDW for Halloween. I know WDW has their version of the Trick or Treat party (called Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party) that does include Halloween fireworks in the MK. That single event may be cooler than the TOT party in DCA, but everything else at DLR last year totally topped what I remember from WDW -- fireworks that everyone can see every night, Ghost Galaxy Space Mountain, Haunted Mansion Holiday, Candy Corn Acres display in DCA, etc. I think DLR is smart to play it up.

PHXscuba

If you don't mind me asking! Any tips on making a Jessie costume? I'm making one for my little cousin this year :3

Here's my trip report from last year :) http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2343077
Although I was there for a while, it definantly won me over on where to spend my money on Halloween!

Thanks for helping my leaky memory, Vala. I was thinking Donald was a ghost, but then remembered that was in a Disney Singalong video my son used to watch over and over and over. Minnie did make a very cute witch, too!

You're welcome.

I'm not sure which week you went, but when we were there as far Donald was a ghost on the picture on the park map too, so that's what you may be remembering.

That's Don Karnage in the photo with the Queen and Ratcliff - I guess he was part of the old Tale Spin shows back in the '90s.

Yes, he was.

We saw him out in 2008, wondering around in the Hollywood Backlot. All other characters had lines, but no one recognized him.

Cue the German tourist walking around the corner and happily squealing: "Don Kanaille!" (That's the German character name.) To this day my friends swear that I made poor Don Karnage jump. ;)

Well...just for fun (and for informational, planning purposes, of course), I thought I might bump this Halloween at DL thread (not sure if the OP ever got the info that she needed??) to see if we can turn it into a comprehensive Halloweentime at DLR superthread, much like the wonderful "Disney at Christmas" thread that was so popular last year. Like in the Christmas photo/info superthread (which I will be resurrecting as it is necessary!!;)), we can make this a one-stop shop for everything Halloweentime-related, including all seasonal food pictures, information on any special Halloween activities, photos of characters in costumes, photos or info on Halloween merchandise, etc. Heck, it's just a good place to share all of our Halloweentime photos!

So...anyone out there with some pictures to post??

I will, once I can upload them to photobucket. I have pics from the Trick or Treat party last year. I highly reccommend DLR at Halloween and the ToT Party is a must!!!

I will, once I can upload them to photobucket. I have pics from the Trick or Treat party last year. I highly reccommend DLR at Halloween and the ToT Party is a must!!!

Cool!:thumbsup2 I would love to see pics from the TOTP - especially from last year, since I had to miss it - and they would be really great to have in this Halloweentime superthread in the making!

Let's see if anyone else has anything to post.....anyone? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?:rotfl:

I'm willing to answer any questions based on our experience last October in the parks, over Columbus Day weekend and into the week. We didn't do the ToTP. We stayed onsite at the DLH. We took 4 kids, ages 4-13. We ate our weight in treats.:eek: (Also ate at Goofy's Kitchen and Carnation Cafe). Hopefully anyone with similar problems/ages/queries could ask me; maybe others who went last year could be part of an informal "panel" to answer Qs.

Sherry, do you recall when last year's Halloween stuff was announced? A lot was rumored, but I think it was late summer before we had details. Knowing that might help people in their planning.

PHXscuba

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter