Halloween or Christmas party?

Amandas4

A little Obsessed
I'm trying to plan a trip for my family. 4 kids ages 13, 11, 9, and 5.
It would either be a week in October or a week in November. The kids are split. Two want Halloween and two want Christmas.
I would love to see the Christmas lights but the Halloween party sounds like more fun.
Please give me opinions on both. And is there a difference in cost?

The Halloween Party is consistently voted the most fun on any Disney Forum. I've seen this questions come up infinite times over the years and MNSSHP gets the most votes. That being said, people always make sure to say that the Christmas party is not bad at all - just doesn't have as many extras (like trick or treating) and HalloWishes is - in many consistent opinions - the best of the best where Disney fireworks are concerned, so that puts it over the edge. You really can't go wrong though. And no, I don't think there's a difference in cost.

I went for the Christmas season and party this past December. While I liked it just fine I don't have any plans to go do it again anytime soon. It's back to September and the Halloween party (we have been to that 2 times)

The Halloween party is much better than the Very Merry. I have been to both for the last 3 years and I am thinking about cutting out the Very Merry this year. There isn't enough difference between the party and a normal day in the park to make the party worth it.

The biggest difference between the Very Merry and the Not so Scary is that at the Not So Scary people dress up for the party. I know this may sound like not much but it is what differentiates the party from just a day at the park. Also the candy is much better than the cookies you receive at the Very Merry.

I hope this helps.

I say go big and do both if you can. If you arrive on Oct 30 or 31, you can go to one of the last parties. Then they immediately convert the park, so at the end of your week, you could do the first Christmas party on Nov 7.
I have not been to WDW, but I did "One Trip, Two Holidays" at DLR back in 2012. It was awesome! We wore costumes and partied on Oct 31 proper, and then took the holiday tour that got us the special seats to watch the holiday parade with hot chocolate and cookies. Yes, Halloween is more party, but I thought Christmas was more beautiful, if that makes sense.

We have only done MNSSHP but we LOVED it. We spent every moment we could meeting characters. The shows were fabulous! We cannot wait to go back again for a MNSSHP!

I'm in the minority, I know, but I'd choose MVMCP over MNSSHP.

We had a less-than-stellar experience at MNSSHP in 2014. Part of that was due to my son being intimidated by the Halloween theme - none of us expected that until we were there and he was nervous and uncomfortable and scared. Obviously not the fault of Disney, but his nerves definitely had an impact on our experience. Part was due to the crowd - it was a sold-out night, so everything was pretty packed, and we ran into some really unpleasant, entitled individuals (like a "lady" who showed up moments before the parade, pushed a pair of 10/11 year olds out of her way to stand right at the rope, and whacked my 5 year old son in his head with the camera she was wearing on a strap around her neck, then scolded him for getting in her way). All in all, we ended the evening with a sour taste in our mouths about the whole experience. (Though Hallowishes was lovely.)

By contrast, we'd done 2 MVMCPs, in 2011 and 2012, and really enjoyed both. I don't think either of the Christmas parties we attended were sold out, and that probably made some of the difference, but we felt that the vibe of the Christmas parties was more peaceful and laid-back, less frantic. For one of those, we focused on meeting characters, and had a great time in particular with the 7 Dwarfs. We also loved walking right onto the rides with little to no wait - since we were traveling with a little one, that meant Dumbo and the Teacups and the like, nothing big, but it was perfect.

With kids who enjoy Halloween, I don't think you could go wrong with either party. Travel at the time that makes the most sense for your family, and have fun! :)

Seems like I'm just echoing everyone else's remarks, but I would vote MNSSHP. We did the Halloween party in 2012 and MVMCP this past Christmas and I loved them both and am so glad we got to experience each of them, but it terms of total fun the Halloween party was def better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter