Halloween Time Superthread 2019: "Oogie Boogie Bash" Party to Be Held in DCA ONLY! and Other Halloween Time Information

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, we've seen some little ones having a great time and other kids, even older ones, dragging or begging to go back to the hotel. And it makes us so sad to see parents yelling at their kids because "we PAID for these tickets so you're going to have FUN!" And even at MHP, there were kids who were really scared and just not ready -- and it wasn't always easy to gauge by age alone. Every kid is different and parents/aunties/uncles/grandparents/etc. need to be wise and practical when it comes to Halloween parties. And what about the parties where things go totally out of your control -- like the party last year where it poured rain all night? Can your kids still have fun? Or will the weather ruin everything? We saw families having fun in drenched clothes and families who were clearly miserable and grumpy, complaining about everything. Disney doesn't refund tickets because of bad weather.

I hate it when I see parents yell at kids about how much money they spent. Like the kids had any control over that! But I see it happen pretty often. Even at the little amusement park we have here in Portland I've seen parents shame kids into riding ride because they "paid for these tickets". Kids will remember that stuff! Last time we were at GoTG a guy asked my DD how old she was, she told him 5, he then proceeded to tell us how his 7 year old son was such a wimp for not riding it when a "5 year old GIRL" was just fine. I was so mad at that guy, and felt to sorry for his kid. Sigh, sorry I'm ranting!

We're taking the risk this year even though she's only 6, but she is a kid who will ride anything, laugh all day long, and finds the good in every single situation (as long as I keep her fed). She is so not my kid, but I'm trying to be more like her because she sure enjoys life. I could never have taken my niece and nephew, they are super fun kids, but they are not up all nighters with the ability to go with the flow.

Last edited:
"we PAID for these tickets so you're going to have FUN!"
I hate it when I see parents yell at kids about how much money they spent. Like the kids had any control over that! But I see it happen pretty often. Even at the little amusement park we have here in Portland I've seen parents shame kids into riding ride because they "paid for these tickets". Kids will remember that stuff! Last time we were at GoTG a guy asked my DD how old she was, she told him 5, he then proceeded to tell us how his 7 year old son was such a wimp for not riding it when a "5 year old GIRL" was just fine. I was so mad at that guy, and felt to sorry for his kid. Sigh, sorry I'm ranting!
Just last week on Saturday, I left while fireworks were happening. In my row were parents and their 2 kids. One was asleep, the other was crying and saying he was tired and wanted to sleep. The parents looked angry, and the dad was all "we paid all of this money to stay the whole day, not leave during fireworks! We are wasting our money" :sad2: Didn't stop the little boy from crying. I think he cried harder honestly lol. I understand the parents' side, but it's not abnormal for kids to be exhausted and cranky that late if they've been running around all day.

We attended the Haunted Mansion 50th event that was 1AM - 4 AM.

While waiting in line for a picture with the scary bride, Constance Hatchaway, a mom with 2 young kids were behind us. The kids were 10 and younger.
One was sound asleep in a stroller. The other (older one) was trying to fall asleep on the ground. Completely exhausted and literally trying to pass out wherever she could.

The awful mom started yelling at her to "WAKE UP! DON'T FALL ASLEEP NOW!" It was 3am.

I don't understand parents who think it's a good idea to do this event with small children. Staying up to 11 for a Halloween party is probably pushing it for some kids, but the literal middle of the night. So bad.

I have seen the best and the worst parenting at Disney.
The evening meltdowns of both parents and children is epic. I see at least one every time we are there.

Is it just me or does it seem like there has been less information released about Halloween this year? Also the ability to make dining reservations for dining packages has been delayed. I was also really surprised it took so long for dining packages for MSEP to be announced/available. Am I just being impatient or is this due to staffing cuts?

Personally, more than the staffing issues, I think the fact that the party has moved to DCA is a big reason why Halloween info is late this year. In past years, they pretty much seemed to follow the same pattern, but this year, one of the biggest parts of HalloweenTime is a "new" location, so much of the old plan(s) won't necessarily be applicable.

Is it just me or does it seem like there has been less information released about Halloween this year? Also the ability to make dining reservations for dining packages has been delayed. I was also really surprised it took so long for dining packages for MSEP to be announced/available. Am I just being impatient or is this due to staffing cuts?

I've got an upcoming trip in late September planned, and while I'm new to Disneyland, based on all the reading I've been doing, I think its a combination of having the party at DCA (new location/experiences) and the *cuts*. Even though I guessed wrong about when the blocked out passholders are going to start *flooding* into Disneyland (the date is actually Aug 19), I'm willing to bet the Disney decision-makers will be monitoring this before we see the final Halloween schedule.

My suspicion is that the larger the uptick in attendance once the block out dates are removed, the more Disney will be willing to invest in additional Halloween experiences. If the masses do not return, then perhaps they will minimalize their investment.

If they are going to use these benchmarks, though, they have problem.. The blockout date for Deluxe is dropped on Aug 19, and then the D23 Expo is Aug 23, so they won't be able to get good metrics to make that decision because there will be a bump-up in attendance for that event.

Now I know I am overthinking this, but for me the bottom line is they got caught with over-anticipating crowd levels when SWGE opened, and I suspect they are very much taking into account anticipated attendance numbers over the Halloween time period to make their final decisions about what they should offer and what they shouldn't. They created a whole new experience for Halloween this year, as noted above, so there are no tried-and-true templates to implement. They are probably making the calls day-by-day based on what they expect the future attendance numbers are going to be.

My multiple cents worth! Time is ticking, and more and more people are noticing the lack of info, so they are also feeling the pressure that way, I'm sure!

I guess we are just going to have to wait until they get it all figured out!! Hard for us planners, but that's all we can do! :):)

Personally, more than the staffing issues, I think the fact that the party has moved to DCA is a big reason why Halloween info is late this year. In past years, they pretty much seemed to follow the same pattern, but this year, one of the biggest parts of HalloweenTime is a "new" location, so much of the old plan(s) won't necessarily be applicable.

That could be it too. I was super excited about the party moving and the new theme which is why we bought tickets but my excitement is waning... the merch has been meh and a lot of old stuff is being re-released and same goes for specialty food items. I’m hoping that we get some good info after D23 wraps up.

They may also be reacting to the lack of positive response to the party moving to DCA

The lack of dining packages is huge for me. As an adult that's going with an adult friend I really look forward to those packages. Spending 45 minutes to an hour at a nice dinner before a parade or something doesn't feel like a "waste of park time" or anything and I know the cost will be worth it (vs a kid maybe not even enjoying the food, etc). We'll be there for three nights (and four days) and I'm debating doing a standard WOC dessert party since I enjoy it so dang much but I'm worried a normal WOC show and then the Halloween party the next night might be too much of the same. Come on Disney, reverse course and offer the WOC dessert party for Halloween nights!

The lack of dining packages is huge for me. As an adult that's going with an adult friend I really look forward to those packages. Spending 45 minutes to an hour at a nice dinner before a parade or something doesn't feel like a "waste of park time" or anything and I know the cost will be worth it (vs a kid maybe not even enjoying the food, etc). We'll be there for three nights (and four days) and I'm debating doing a standard WOC dessert party since I enjoy it so dang much but I'm worried a normal WOC show and then the Halloween party the next night might be too much of the same. Come on Disney, reverse course and offer the WOC dessert party for Halloween nights!

I have a feeling these will still come, they are just late.......alot like you cant even book reservations for anything in the parks after sept 28th. its only showing lunch lol.(for reference the 60 day mark is up to oct 16 and nada. so its not about being within the 60 days lol)

Blue bayou did the package for the parade last year and I sprung for that, disney sells out almost instantly for those dinner packages for Halloween party nights. I cant see a company who knows that it makes money on things like that not to take advantage of it. especially with the logistics set up already. they have the layouts set for carthay and WCT already in place, for reserved seating so it would be flip of a switch to make it for oogies bash. just menu theme and pricing

fingers crossed it comes, Im of the same mindset as you

I think it looks fantastic! Of course there will be long lines, it's the Halloween party! It's always crowded.
I'm not worried about when they release stuff, I book when it opens up and it just works out fine. We also don't book a sit down meal during the party. We like to keep it moving. If there's a dessert party for WOC, I'll grab that.

When I checked the calendar I see a few more dates are SOLD OUT...
Yes, it looks like the dominoes are starting to fall. For those still on the fence, now is the time to make a decision and choose your party date. The other dates will start selling out as fewer dates become available.

I think it looks fantastic! Of course there will be long lines, it's the Halloween party! It's always crowded.
I'm not worried about when they release stuff, I book when it opens up and it just works out fine. We also don't book a sit down meal during the party. We like to keep it moving. If there's a dessert party for WOC, I'll grab that.
I find the Halloween parties aren’t crowded at all. That’s the reason we go every year more than anything. Paying to have short ride lines and all that walking space is awesome

I’m a park veteran but have never done any of the parties. DH & I are going first week of October. Is the Halloween party a must do? We don’t have kids. Seems expensive. Any party veterans think it’s worth it for newbies?

I’m a park veteran but have never done any of the parties. DH & I are going first week of October. Is the Halloween party a must do? We don’t have kids. Seems expensive. Any party veterans think it’s worth it for newbies?
It’s subjective, but I would say if it is in the budget, it’s worth trying once. To get the most out of your time, you have to prioritize what you want. For example, if you want to meet the rare characters, be prepared to wait 30+ minutes for them. If your goal is rides, then the party is a good time to enjoy them with shorter waits.

Was just reading over the info again. Wonder how long that stage show is going to be?

Does MaxPass operate during the Halloween parties? We haven't done a Halloween Party since MaxPass has become a thing...
Did anyone use MaxPass during a HP last year?

TIA! :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter