Halloween Time Superthread 2020: Oogie's Back!! And Other Halloween Time Information -- Please Read Post 1! (OBB DATES CANCELLED 7/24/20)

I’m thinking about everyone whose spring trips have been impacted.

southwest released their October plane tickets yesterday. We are flying into San Diego for the first few days of our trip then heading to Disneyland. We have enough points to cover 1 San Diego flight.There is 4 of us and snagged the rest of our trip for under $900... which is great coming from Omaha.

Im coping with my sorrow about my cancelled trip for next week by jumping into all the October and Halloween related threads. We’ve moved our plane tickets, but haven’t decided yet which days we will be in San Diego and which days at DLR.

Looking forward to reading this thread and learning more about Halloween festivities as we finalize those details!

I think my kids will end up enjoying this fall trip even more than they would have enjoyed next week, with so many fun extras to add in. (They will be missing more school, which isn’t ideal although they’ll probably be excited about that too...) And I get the fun of planning another trip! Silver lining?
I’m in the same boat! Sounds like we had similar trips planned, with doing San Diego and DL. We did last fall break at WDW, so I’m thinking it would be fun to experience it at DL, too. We will have to pull them out of school for a few days to do everything, but I’m okay with that.

We're planning on going to OBB too but cant decide between September and October. We usually go in October. My DLP trip just got cancelled so, I know how others feel also. 😭😭

Cute! How are you going to do the Bunny costume?

gonna cheat lmao! Found this hat on amazon and bought my son a blue shirt and I’m just gonna add a big green oval to the front of the shirt. Done! Lol,

my husband- who does not do costumes- has agreed to wear a shirt with forky on it and I haven’t decided who I’m gonna be yet, but I’m gonna but a t shirt and leggings and maybe make a fun fabric skirt... more like a disneybound. I’m debating between buzz or maybe t-Rex or heck maybe an alien...482547

Is there a guess as to when Disneyland starts putting up Halloween decorations? Is Haunted Mansion closed to install the overlay? I am actually trying to avoid the Halloween decor and wondering what the parks will be like August 31st - September 4th. Thanks!

Is there a guess as to when Disneyland starts putting up Halloween decorations? Is Haunted Mansion closed to install the overlay? I am actually trying to avoid the Halloween decor and wondering what the parks will be like August 31st - September 4th. Thanks!
It's usually late August. Around Labor day weekend, you will see some decorations go up around the park. I think last year the pumpkin on Main street was up that weekend (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Take a look at the first page of the September Check In thread (link in the first post of this thread). There is information there about the dates to watch for the Halloween decorations and overlay installations. Also look at the August Check In thread. Last year, the Mickey pumpkin in Town Square went up on Sept. 2nd.
For your dates, the parks usually go to the low season/non-peak schedule around the third week of August. That means shorter hours, less staffing, more refurbs/fewer ride vehicles running, less entertainment, nighttime entertainment on weekends only (e.g. F! and fireworks), etc. HM usually goes down for the NBC overlay installation on the 20-somethingth and comes back up on the first day of Halloween Time. Space Mt. will go down right after Labor Day (if they do the GG installation) and will come back up on the first day of Halloween Time. If you don't want to miss HM, it would be best to visit before the third week of August.

6257_zpsrgslqgaa.jpg

Those of you who have done both Oogie Boogie Bash and the Magic Kingdom Halloween party, how did the crowds compare, especially on sold-out nights? I know the crowds at MNSSHP have been getting progressively worse and worse, but how do they compare to crowds at OBB, especially since every night last year was a sell out? Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance for the help!

I haven't been to both but I did go to a sold out OBB last year.

If you are all about seeing rare characters, the lines are atrocious...
If you want to ride some rides with minimal wait times, this is a great value...
If you are in it for the candy and treats, you can supply your entire neighborhood with Halloween candy no problem, lol.

The great thing about it being in California Adventure is that the pathways are wide and there is lots of space so it doesn't feel crowded. The only time we thought it felt crowded was entering the park and getting a wristband/bag.

I haven't been to MNSSHP, but I did OBB in Oct.

The character lines are super long. We only waited for Chip n Dale in their Rescue Rangers costumes, and waited until the end. The ride lines and treat trails are easy to do - we got lots of those in. GOTG Monsters After Dark is fantastic, and we walked right in every time. IIRC, the only longer line was for RSR. The parade was easy to see - I think we showed up maybe 10 min before and had a great spot. We skipped WOC. We did the treat trails first, then the parade, then rides. We met the Rescue Rangers towards the end, then did Villains Grove as the very last thing (which was cool!)

I think I might compare the crowd level to Villains AH at MK. Definitely more crowded than the DAH events we did at HS and AK, but about the level of that Villains night we did last July. From what I've read about both MNSSHP and MVMCP, I'd guess that the crowds tend to be heavier at those events than OBB, but I can't say for sure.

Those of you who have done both Oogie Boogie Bash and the Magic Kingdom Halloween party, how did the crowds compare, especially on sold-out nights? I know the crowds at MNSSHP have been getting progressively worse and worse, but how do they compare to crowds at OBB, especially since every night last year was a sell out? Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance for the help!
Read through last year's Halloween Time Superthread: Halloween Time Superthread 2019: "Oogie Boogie Bash" Party to Be Held in DCA ONLY! and Other Halloween Time Information. Skim through until the descriptions of the OBB start -- maybe about halfway through the superthread? Then start reading the party reviews. Everyone's take will be different because everyone goes to the parties for different reasons: candy, M&Gs, dance parties, overall fun, atmosphere, just to try it once, etc. Those reviews will give you a good idea of what went on and whether this is something you'd like. OBB only started last year, so we don't really have anything to compare it to yet -- this year's party might be similar or very different. No idea yet!

I haven't been to MNSSHP, but I did OBB in Oct.

The character lines are super long. We only waited for Chip n Dale in their Rescue Rangers costumes, and waited until the end. The ride lines and treat trails are easy to do - we got lots of those in. GOTG Monsters After Dark is fantastic, and we walked right in every time. IIRC, the only longer line was for RSR. The parade was easy to see - I think we showed up maybe 10 min before and had a great spot. We skipped WOC. We did the treat trails first, then the parade, then rides. We met the Rescue Rangers towards the end, then did Villains Grove as the very last thing (which was cool!)

I think I might compare the crowd level to Villains AH at MK. Definitely more crowded than the DAH events we did at HS and AK, but about the level of that Villains night we did last July. From what I've read about both MNSSHP and MVMCP, I'd guess that the crowds tend to be heavier at those events than OBB, but I can't say for sure.

How long did you have to wait to get into the villains geove at the end of the night (if you can remember approximately). Your night there is how i was thinking of approaching it (right down to skipping WoC). What time did you go into the event? How were the ride lines pre party?

Our issue is we would have to go Halloween night and dont know if i can justify 450 bucks for tickets so my 6 yr old can go trick or treating in a park. Did you feel like you got your money's worth?

Those of you who have done both Oogie Boogie Bash
Our issue is we would have to go Halloween night and dont know if i can justify 450 bucks for tickets so my 6 yr old can go trick or treating in a park. Did you feel like you got your money's worth?
I've been to many of the Halloween parties in Disneyland, never in WDW. I can only compare Oogie Boogie Bash to the Halloween parties in Disneyland. There was much more room and I felt the party was overall better at Oogie Boogie Bash, however, I go with adults. I couldn't imagine paying $450. for a child to trick or treat there. It's not even close to worth it. You may end up with more candy than any family could eat over the course of a year (or even longer, they give out lots of candy and you can keep going through the same trails if you want to), but there are villains on the trails, not cute Mickey and Minnie dressed up and while it's still Disney and not scary, I just don't see the appeal for a 6 year old unless they are really into Halloween or Disney Villains.

... Did you feel like you got your money's worth?
This is where the party reviews in last year's Superthread will help you. For some people, OBB was totally worth it. And for others, it was a one and done. You'll know by reading the reviews whose opinion is closer to your way of thinking and whether the money will be a worthwhile investment for your family or not.

How long did you have to wait to get into the villains geove at the end of the night (if you can remember approximately). Your night there is how i was thinking of approaching it (right down to skipping WoC). What time did you go into the event? How were the ride lines pre party?

I've never gone with kids to the parties, only my aunt. I love them. I love the atmosphere, lower crowds, treat trails, special characters, shows, etc. When I have seen families with children, the big complaint I see are kids getting tired by the end of the night and not wanting to do anymore activities. So in turn, it makes parents grumpy that they spent a lot of money on tickets, yet their kids are over it 2 hours in. So I would def read the reviews, and know how your child personally can handle being out late. Another thing to remember is that last year all parties were on school nights. This turned many parents off from buying tickets at all.

We didn't wait - Just walked in. It was the last 15 or 20 min it was open.

We went in at 2:00 when we could. The ride lines were pretty bad pre party, but I remember we were able to get random MP for Soarin' that showed up. (You have access to MP with the OBB ticket.) We also did Goofy's Sky School with a MP.

For us, it was worth it because we really like Disney's hard ticket events and we are two adults who can move fast and deal with crowds, etc. If I had a kid or kids, I'm not sure it would be as worth it, especially with the increased cost. I am not super into Halloween, so I probably won't do it again any time soon. I do agree with reading reviews from last year. We got a lot of info from those.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!