Halloween

FigmentSpark

DIS Veteran
Are you decorating and handing out candy this year? Are you doing anything different than other years? How about the amount of candy you're buying?

I packed up little bags of candy tonight and labeled them with a "Packed on" date so parents will know the candy hasn't been touched for 2 weeks. I've got enough for about 120 kids. We are a maturing neighbourhood, but I do like to be prepared. I'd hate to run out.

I usually make up bags of candy for the kids but this year I am thinking of just giving out bags of chips. My numbers have been dwindling down every year. I even bought those claw thingies from the dollar store to pass out the candy. You know the ones for the old folks?

I thought Dr. Tam said Trick or Treating was okay as long as people were sensible about it.

Claw thingy is a good idea. I might do that, too.

I thought Dr. Tam said Trick or Treating was okay as long as people were sensible about it.

I think they’re reluctant to cancel trick or treating since Halloween is happening on a Saturday this year. If they outright cancel it, it might drive more people inside. I can see the possibility of parents planning small indoor parties for their kids and a few close friends if they can’t go out and trick or treat.

I am not going to be handing out candy this year. We would typically get over 150 kids. I just can't risk having contact with that many people. My 21yo made mention of what a rip off it is this year.....it falls on a Saturday night and the clocks go back that night too. She said there would have been some bangin' parties at school.

I’ve already had to replace the first stash!
Lol
I dropped off my stash to my nieces and nephews homes on the weekend.
Temptation gone.

Carve a pumpkin (have two teams and make a contest).
Free printable awards
https://www.sisterssuitcaseblog.com/printable-pumpkin-carving-awards/Make some Halloween cookies or muffins. I like making chocolate & pretzel spider webs.
https://www.foodnetwork.ca/recipe/chocolate-spider-webs/11373/Brew up some witches brew (there are adult versions of this).
https://eat-drink-love.com/witches-brew/Make and bang a Pinata,,lots of candy for everyone.
Make a Halloween sock gnome
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=halloween+sock+gnomesHave a indoor Halloween candy hunt
couple ideas here
https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/862...62245680enca_121862332&utm_custom2=1714047595Visit a local farm for a Hayride and apple cider and maybe walk the haunted corn maze.
Set up clues in your house to lead to a Treasure Box of treats. (Dress up as Pirates).
Argh for Ye Pirates maybe bake some Banana boats on the backyard grill
https://www.countrycleaver.com/2015/06/10-minute-grilled-banana-boats.html

We are Canadians and we can do anything!
Hugs
Mel

Last edited:
I think the majority of houses in my area will not be participating this year. There was a poll on my local FB group and most of us agreed it wasn’t worth the risk. A lot of people with younger children are doing stuff like scavenger hunts, trick or treating throughout their houses, watching movies, baking, pumpkin carving, etc.

We haven’t been home for Halloween in 15 years. This year we were meant to be in the Caribbean again but we all know how that’s gone. No, we are not going to be opening our doors for Halloween. I think will just have the lights out and I’ll be sitting in the dark. I just don’t wanna take any chances.

For those handing out treats my sister and sister in law are going to give out
small bags of doritos,chips,cheesies via a decorated tong.
Right from the box on a table and the aim at the the child's container.
Sounds like fun.
Hugs
Mel

Guidance came out today that kids in Toronto, Peel, York and Ottawa shouldn’t go out, but that other areas are okay.

My kids (at least the younger 2) will go out. I’ll package up treats instead of handing them out in handfuls. One of the older kids will stay outside and hand it out masked, probably with tongs (unless I can work out a cool slide?).

It’s hard, having young kids who just want some normalcy. Our numbers are still low enough in my area, so I’m going to let them go out. It won’t be in a friend group this year though. And I bet there are a ton of houses that don’t participate (more than normal, and we have a lot that don’t normally).

For those handing out treats my sister and sister in law are going to give out
small bags of doritos,chips,cheesies via a decorated tong.
Right from the box on a table and the aim at the the child's container.
Sounds like fun.
Hugs
Mel
Perfect. That is what I will do. We had 20 kids last year, but being a Saturday, this would have been a bigger year. I bought full size chocolate bars for kids that will show up. I've already given to my grandchildren, so I have about 28 left. If there are more kids than that, I picked up some Goldfish crackers on the weekend. I don't anticipate many children at all this year. We only have 4 little kids on the street, and if they aren't trick-or-treating, I'll take 4 bars to them. Now to decorate the tongs!

It’s hard, having young kids who just want some normalcy. Our numbers are still low enough in my area, so I’m going to let them go out. It won’t be in a friend group this year though. And I bet there are a ton of houses that don’t participate (more than normal, and we have a lot that don’t normally).
I think this will be the biggest problem for kids who do choose to go out. Kids walking around in very dark streets because so many houses will remain dark as people choose to not give out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter