Halloween

Well I shelled out tonight and had a total of 8 kids of which 4 are neighbours. I used a claw stick to grab bags of chips from a box and put it in their bags so nobody ever got near me. Everybody was masked and I had it all set up at the end of the drive so no congestion at my front door not that I had a big rush. I carved quite a few pumpkins this year and I thought I did a good job on them. I did a Charlie Brown one and empty with no light it looked horrible but once I put the light in it, it did look like Charlie Brown.
PA310931 charlie brown.jpgPA310938 decorated house.jpgPA310948 selfie.jpg

Normally we get hundreds of kids on our street, everyone decorates and the street is full of activity. Only a couple houses had their porch lights on, we didn’t see any trick or treaters when we looked out, it was pretty dark and quiet.

We actually had a lovely Hallowe'en experience. My daughter's street did a street parade of all the littles (socially distanced of course) at 5:30 and then they did their trick-or-treating. Houses who wanted to participate were instructed to put their candy out at the end of their driveways. It worked beautifully and it brought a lot of pleasure to the littles on the street (there are probably 20 of them) and all the grown-ups who watched the parade and the trick-or-treating. It was smiles all around and very safe.

At our own house, we had put out candy. While walking our dog, we noticed about 1/4 of the houses had done the same. It was a very, very quiet hallowe'en. I'd say we had about 10 kids or so.

Well, my adult kids were home together for the first time in 5 years and really wanted to decorate so they made a giant cardboard UFO and made a crash site on our lawn. My hubby helped out by putting our strobe light on it. They taped it all off and called it Area 44 (our house number). They made a cardboard slide/chute for the pre-bagged and dated candy last week (thanks @FigmentSpark for that idea!)

We had about 25 kids and the ones that did come by were thrilled with the candy chute.

My kids had a blast but it got very cold so we went in and all had tea, chocolate and watched the old Rankin-Bass special Mad Monster Party (kind of a tradition with us for the last few years)

Sadly we put a sign on our door and covered our doorbell saying we weren't giving out treats this year. But I looked on our street a couple times and not a peep...whereas it is usually filled with kids going from house to house. So sad.

We had our own fun though...carved pumpkins in the day, and in the evening I created a whole scavenger hunt with clues and candies at each one. Our kids had a blast and probably got the same amount of candy as usual (grandparents also dropped off a good size bag of treats for each). My younger one also dressed up. She re-used a costume but got creative with make up and oozing cuts (using clay and lipstick). We also finished the night with a horror movie (first one for my daughter) so still a good holiday even if different.

We really enjoyed handing out candy this year. Our kids are grown but we love seeing the costumes. We had about 20 kids. Some years we have had as few as 8 and other years we have had over 70 so 20 was pretty good.

The best part of the night for us was this little boy who, when walking away, turned back, said thank you for the second time and then added, “thanks for handing out candy this year!” Brought tears to my eyes!
Everyone was masked, well behaved and seemed to be having a great time.....and that blue moon was amazing!

Thanks all for the nice words. I have been doing Halloween at my house since I moved there in 1994. I don't have any kids but I love going all out with the decorations. I even have panels for my bay window that are Halloween based. Guess I will leave them up for a few more days then put up the winter panels. Yup winter decorating comes next. I have blow ups for my front lawn for that season as well.

Two years ago we got 11 kids, last year we had 5 so this year I made up 25 regular bags and 5 allergy friendly candy free bags. I fully :expected to have some left over but we were cleared out before 7:30! A bunch of local people were talking online about how they saw more kids this year as well.

Two years ago we got 11 kids, last year we had 5 so this year I made up 25 regular bags and 5 allergy friendly candy free bags. I fully :expected to have some left over but we were cleared out before 7:30! A bunch of local people were talking online about how they saw more kids this year as well.
We were the same. We've averaged 20-22 kids the past couple of years and only have 3 kids on a court, where we are at the end. I bought 36 full-sized chocolate bars, gave 7 to my kids/grandkids and that left 29. We were out of those quickly, and then Goldfish crackers were brought for the few extra kids that came along. So, probably 35-40.

We had a beautiful evening for trick or treating. We only had 6 kids show up. Our street doesn't get many kids ( maybe 30 -40) as we live in a more mature neighborhood. I had prepackaged bags made up, I would have loved to have had my hot chocolate and shooter bar up for the parents, but I could not think of a way to make it feel safe enough for everyone. Here is to hoping that next year parents can get a little treat as well.

Cases are spiking in our city, so we made our grown boys stay home from their get togethers that were happening. We ate the left over candy, I popped some popcorn and we watched a couple of creepy movies. It was a quiet but good night.

We had a great day. Kids dressed up first thing. We did a piñata, as planned, which was great. The weather was gorgeous. Carved pumpkins. Ate dinner with a movie—Muppets Christmas Carol—if you can believe that! Had the pumpkins going in the basement with our meal and movie. Had a graveyard dessert.

Attachments

• 5748B21E-AF6D-4A30-84A6-3C152BE1F8EC.jpeg
    5748B21E-AF6D-4A30-84A6-3C152BE1F8EC.jpeg
    71 KB · Views: 2
We are also in a more mature neighbourhood though it’s changing as seniors are selling. We didn’t know what to expect as this is only our second year in the house and last year we were at Disney for Halloween. We put out 50 treat bags with a “Happy Halloween“ sign and 30 were gone. So not too bad. I would have figured out a way to handed out candy safely , but our dogs were barking at the sound of people on the porch and it was just easier this way for this year.
I’m so glad that when things are so upside down and crazy that some kids got to so something so normal and fun for an evening.

We seem to be some of the only ones with a busy neighbourhood. It was one of the best Halloween evenings we've had in a long time. Great weather with a full moon. Everyone was distributing candy on tables, with grips or with candy chutes. And everyone stayed outside, talking from balconies and such. Much more fun than when everyone is indoors with the doorbell.

We gave out at least 60 bags. Everyone seemed respectful of social distancing and most parents wore masks, even outside.

I love Halloween, it's probably my favourite holiday of the year, and this year was the best.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter