Hamilton movie

I haven't seen it, but it really isn't a movie, but a recording of the stage production so it is exactly the same. They didn't adapt it so to speak, but just filmed it as-is.

Took a look at the other thread and since it is more of a dialogue overall and not just comparing the two versions, figured I would post here.

They were both good and I would say do not hesitate to watch either (yes I know there are no live shows now), here are a couple of things to consider (and I’ll try and not get too in depth).

- The sound on the film is not as good as live. That fact is probably not a big surprise but the issue is the speed of the text in this play. Unless you have your settings for your TV right, it maybe hard to understand everything. Especially if you are not familiar with the play or soundtrack. There was a fun fact that Hamilton has more words than the typical Broadway musical. They get them all in by having a faster pace. If the songs/words were at a typical broadway cadence the show would be over 4 hours long.

- The camera work in the taped performance is used to focus attention or even set the mood. Since you are looking at what the filmmaker wants you to see it is both beneficial and a hinderance. Close up camera views can focus your attention or even show you something you might have missed seeing live but it may also take away something from your own personal experience.

- The original cast is fantastic. Sine we saw the production on Broadway later, we thought a character or two might have been a little better with the Broadway cast . There are some subtle variations in some of the characters between actors. Likely this is because there are different people playing them and no two people are the same, but there is probably some evolution or interpretation of the character itself. This takes nothing away from either version, as both performances were good. It just influenced us and just how we noticed little differences or felt about specific characters.

Enjoy the show.

It is the show. They filmed one of the stage productions in 2016. It's marvelous.

That said, nothing can beat live musical theater. But this is the best we can have right now, and is a heck of a lot more convenient and cheaper!

They filmed at the theater over 3 consecutive days. The close ups alone are priceless. I’ve watched it 5 times.

I hope to see it in a theater one day, but this will do for now!

I found the book by Lin-Manual Miranda that has all of the words in it as well as some interesting tidbits on how it came to be. Only have scratched the surface but looks great. (ISBN 9781455539741)

Agree with those above whom have mentioned the shortcomings(?) (focus of the film, audio quality, etc).

John

Wasn’t it a composite made from multiple shows and some scenes specifically recorded for the “film”?

We saw it once live in chicago and last week on Disney plus. Miranda is a genius. I’ve been blessed to see a lot of theater. It’s a masterpiece

Absolute garbage. They weren't get my money for their overpriced tickets on Broadway here in NYC, so at least I got to try it for free. Awful. Didn't even make it to the ten minute mark.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter