Hanalei Bay Resort Was a Roach Motel!!!

littlestar

DIS Veteran
Well, I'm writing this post from the Sheraton Resort on Kauai. We booked a two day trip over to Kauai (from Maui) and had bought a package through Expedia staying at the Hanalei Bay Resort (which is also listed as a DVC trade through Interval).

We checked into the Hanalei Bay Resort yesterday and I thought the grounds were lovely (not to mention the view of Bali Hai). But our mountain view studio was a nightmare. Roaches everywhere. They were brave, too. I know we killed at least 50 to 60 of them. I went to the front desk to let them know about the problem, but they said they couldn't move us and they would have someone spray. So we had someone spray. This consisted of a young boy coming to the room and spraying the room with a store bought bug spray. All this did was make them flee to our bed. We tried to sleep, but roaches were in the bed with us. Finally, at 4:00 a.m. I got up and called the Sheraton Kauai 800 number. Luckily I had my Starwood membership with me. I was able to get a great mountain view room at the Sheraton with a 35 percent Starwood discount. Let me say the Sheraton is like heaven after Hanalei Bay Resort. I would NEVER stay in a Hanalei Bay Resort room again even if they gave it to me for free. Much less trade my precious DVC points for it. Just a warning to anyone thinking of trading DVC for Hanalei Bay Resort.

I'll do a full trip report when I return from Hawaii next week, as my internet access is through the library here at the Sheraton Kauai (by the way, Starwood is great and this Sheraton Kauai resort is fabulous). From now on, I'm sticking with the major players - Marriott, Starwood, and Disney for the most part.

Well, off to the beach for me. I'll report on my first week on Maui next week when I get home.

Littlestar

Oh yuck! Not much else to say but that!

The story is feeling vaguely familiar - I think we had someone else post recently about a horror trip to an II resort in Hawaii. I can't remember if it was the same one.

Thanks for the warning. Just yesterday we booked a stay at the Sheraton Kauai with our Starwood points. Glad to hear the good reports.

:crazy2: :crazy2: :crazy2: :crazy2: :crazy2:

I'm all about understanding tropical climates, and that the buggies like AC too....BUT !YUCK!!

Sorry that happened to you..I'm glad the Sheraton worked out well:)

:sunny:

Yikes! The thoughts of the roaches in the bed is just too much...

OMG!! That sounds like something from a horror movie!

That is absolutely disgusting. I couldn't stay there! I'd be afraid I might bring home a souvenir I didn't buy! Annmarie

BCVOwner2002 said:
That is absolutely disgusting. I couldn't stay there! I'd be afraid I might bring home a souvenir I didn't buy! Annmarie

Good point! You might want to check your suitcases before you leave as well as unpacking everything in your garage when you arrive home. I can handle spiders and ants...but roaches -- no way!!!

Yeah, Hanalei Bay Resort was stuff from a horror movie. I made it 'til 4:00 a.m. and then I just couldn't take anymore. I was afraid a roach was going to crawl in my ear or mouth while I slept. Yes, it was that bad. We kept our suitcases up high, but the little buggers can climb so I definitely will put our suitcases in the garage in a plastic bag when we get home with some bug spray (sealed up) just in case.

This Sheraton Kauai is absolutely wonderful. The beds are the Sweet Sleepers (heavenly beds at the Westin). If you have a Starwood membership the resort fee is only $16.00 something (yes, they discount the resort fee). And this resort fee includes your parking, the health club, free internet access (four computers available in the library) and a wonderful hot FREE breakfast (bacon, eggs, hashbrowns, rice, sausage, oatmeal, cereal, various types of breads and rolls, and LOTS of fresh fruit). This place is like heaven after the Hanalei Bay Resort nightmare from roach hell.

The Sheraton Kauai really embraces the ocean (open air lobbys with shell chandeliers(sp?). I even like my garden view room ($205 a night with the Starwood 35% discount). It is worth every penny and then some. I'm in heaven. Oh, by the way the 4th floor is the top floor and it has a cathedral ceiling!

The Sheraton sounds absolutely spectacular. I have always wanted to go to Hawaii and maybe will get there one of these days but will NOT stay at Hanalei Bay. Enjoy your trip. Annmarie

OMG I would not have even made it to 4:00. You are very brave!

littlestar said:
Yeah, Hanalei Bay Resort was stuff from a horror movie. I made it 'til 4:00 a.m. and then I just couldn't take anymore.

I know that this was posted a while ago but, in all fairness to the Hanalei Resort, the units vary WIDELY as most of them are individually owned. It sounds like the ones that you can trade for are poorly maintained and at the bottom of the barrel. Others are absolutely spectacular. We stayed in a 3 bedroom unit 2002 that was unbelievably beautiful from the furniture, the carpeting and of course the ocean view of Bali Hai. The grounds are also spectacular and the north side of the island (I wouldn't want to be there in the winter) is gorgeous. Rainbows every morning. No, we didn't see any roaches. If you want a good unit, rent from a reputable agent or from VBRO through a recommendation. I have seen the hotel/studios and they are awful. I noted them as we walked by.

I would email DVC member services. I think they should know what kind of trade we DVC members might get if we trade into that resort. Yuck!

I think I would have left immediately! You were brave!

Apparently I'm not the only person from the DIS this has happened to. Here's another thread I found from December 2004:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=699249&highlight=Hanalei+Bay

Update!! Terrible Intervals Int. Trade

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update! MS called yesterday to say Intervals will provide a voucher for one free week in a 1BR anywhere. I was pleased at this reponse with the help of MS.

We just got back from Hanalei Bay Resort on Kauai. I could not wait to get back and complete the survey MS requested. The unit was infested with roaches and ants. We complained, and of course, "nothing else available."

We sat in on the sales presentation, for purely monetary reasons. We were promptly told that the units we were placed in were specifically kept for "exchangers" and owners are treated differently.

When MS got the survey, they called and said they were going to request a week refund from II, of course I've heard nothing since and when I called to inquire, they said "no information." Go figure, I want my points back!!!

PS: The island was awesome, but would have been nice to come home to insect free unit.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by MLafont : 12-22-2004 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Update from MS

.............."I know that this was posted a while ago but, in all fairness to the Hanalei Resort, the units vary WIDELY as most of them are individually owned. It sounds like the ones that you can trade for are poorly maintained and at the bottom of the barrel. Others are absolutely spectacular. "

I could swear this was the place they profiled on HGTV the other night where this family bought a 1br unit for 700,000+. When I heard the name I thought it sounded like the same place we could trade at. Hmmmm...........

msdis said:
.............."I know that this was posted a while ago but, in all fairness to the Hanalei Resort, the units vary WIDELY as most of them are individually owned. It sounds like the ones that you can trade for are poorly maintained and at the bottom of the barrel. Others are absolutely spectacular. "

I could swear this was the place they profiled on HGTV the other night where this family bought a 1br unit for 700,000+. When I heard the name I thought it sounded like the same place we could trade at. Hmmmm...........

It might well be and the grounds are absolutely gorgeous. Many of the units, the privately owned ones are gorgeous and the views are the best in Kauai. Hanalei is a story book town. Trading in may not be the best idea however. If you were going to rent, I would only consider a privately owned unit.

Glad to hear that the Sheraton is as wonderful as I remember it. I went there for part of my honeymoon more than a few years ago ;).

Be careful, "Roach Motel" is a trademarked name! :rolleyes:

"Nothing else available" is trade lingo for "the other rooms are also infested".

Thanks for the feedback on the Sheraon Kauai! I'll add it to my list of "dream resorts" should we ever make it to Kauai.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter