Hanauma Bay Nature Preserve?

bobbiwoz

I'm happy to dance with you!
Easy to snorkel?

We are senior citizens who would like to snorkel. This seems like an interesting place. Closed on Tuesdays, plan to go on Wednesday. From Aulani, how much Travel time? We want to get there before 10. I see the beach opens at 6 AM. I do not think there’s any chance of us getting there that early.

Thank you for any information.

Bobbi

Easy to snorkel?

We are senior citizens who would like to snorkel. This seems like an interesting place. Closed on Tuesdays, plan to go on Wednesday. From Aulani, how much Travel time? We want to get there before 10. I see the beach opens at 6 AM. I do not think there’s any chance of us getting there that early.

Thank you for any information.

Bobbi

It is exceptionally easy to snorkel here @bobbiwoz

There are areas of the bay that are so shallow you can stand next to the reef, put your face underwater and see fish.

There is a section kind of just off the the middle left as you come down the hill that is sandy and shallow so you can easily walk out and gently float over the reef with many lovely fish to see.

The hill down is very very steep. It is ok for going down but it can be a hard climb up if you are not in shape or tired from being in the water. There is a little tram that comes up and down but there is a small charge for that.

I usually tell people not to go Wednesdays if they can help it. The bay tends to get backed up with people who didnt know it was closed Tuesday and make up for it by going on the wednesday. Having said that, it is always a popular and fairly busy place.

If you are fan of the old Elvis movie "Blue Hawaii", it is the bay where they filmed the song "No More"

Are you driving? It can take about an hour depending on traffic. I have read that the parking lot is usually full/closed by 9. I think they reopen it after lunch until it is full again. Might depend on when you go though. A few weeks ago the lot was half full at 7-7:30 when we got there, it was closed by the time we left at ~10 (not sure for how long).

Don't count out getting there earlier, the time change can wreak your sleep schedule. We were regularly waking up at 6AM when we usually get up about 8 or 9 (from California, so not a huge time change).

Thank you both for the information !! I will see if Thursday is possible, and we will definitely talk about going earlier!

We got there at 6:30am Sunday the 29th (free admission, free parking at that time) and when we drove out at around 9am, there was a "lot full" sign out at the road and guys directing people away. We loved it; it was a highlight of our time on Oahu. I highly recommend doing it, but also recommend getting there early. (My wife thought I was crazy for getting up that early, but understood the logic behind the madness after the experience we had.)

We got there at 6:30am Sunday the 29th (free admission, free parking at that time) and when we drove out at around 9am, there was a "lot full" sign out at the road and guys directing people away. We loved it; it was a highlight of our time on Oahu. I highly recommend doing it, but also recommend getting there early. (My wife thought I was crazy for getting up that early, but understood the logic behind the madness after the experience we had.)
Ok...thank you!

6am sounds early but if you are coming from the east coast its like 11am our time as I recall

Bobbi I’m at Aulani now and we went to Hanauma Bay yesterday. I’ll send you a message in a bit.

You have to watch a conservation movie before you enter the Bay, and it runs every half hour, I believe. I think we got there about 1:15, found a great spot right up front (where early visitors must’ve left), and caught the 1:30 movie. So if early doesn’t work for you, right after lunch was good too. Plus we went straight to a great dinner at Kona Brewing :)

It was very easy to snorkel there! It was so cool that you are actually swimming in an old volcano! Beautiful place...I'm so happy a friend of mine told us to go when we visited Oahu 5 years ago! I took the tram down and up...if I remember correctly it was $1 more for the ride up...lol so worth it!
Have a great time!

It’s a beautiful place, and we are glad we snorkeled there.

We did go on Wednesday, we did not rush out, got to the park around noon, and there was parking, it was not too crowded and we used the tram up and down.

Got good information to take an alternative direction home and we saw beautiful sites along the coast, did hit some afternoon rush hour, but the views were worth it!

56844CFD-EA66-4E35-BFFB-A26672D85EF4.jpeg

Thank you for your information!
We have requested that the Cruise Line include Blue Hawaii in the playlist of movies that they show in the small theater!
That’s a great point. I also wish the Polynesian show wasn’t on embarkation night—we never make it to the first night show!

How late is it open? And are there facilities such as restroom, changing area, and/or lockers? Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter