Handicap Sign for rented car?

SandraC

Longs for the feeling of sandy salt water in her k
Hi, 3 years old GIVE KIDS THE WORLD granted dd's wish to visit WDW. MAGIC!

GKTW issued a handicap sign/sticker for our rented car.

I was wondering how we would go about requesting another handicap sticker for the rented car?

Do we ask Hertz? I have supporting medical documents.

At home we have plenty of NEW MOTHERS/MOTHERS WITH SMALL CHILDREN parking beside handicapped parking so I never had the need to get a sticker here.

THANKS

SandraC
º0º
1975 - off site
1977 - off site
1987 - Indian Rock Shores
1990 - Holiday Inn International Drive/Daytona Beach
1998 - KIDS VILLAGE, GIVE KIDS THE WORLD, Make-a-Wish trip with 4.5 year old daughter born ill),
2001 APRIL - CBR - ON SITE FIRST TIME! YIPPY! With dd 7 years old, ds 15 months old!

Hertz won't issue you one and neither will WDW. They used to, but not proof of need was required and too many people were asking for one just to park closer. People who actually had handicapped parking permits could not find places to park because most of the spots were taken up by the temporary ones.
WDW requires a state issued parking permit (issued in your home state, or province, in your case). You might still have time to get one. In the US, there is a part that the MD fills out and then you take it to your state motor vehicle department for processing. I'm not sure how it works in Canada, but the permits issued in Canada would be valid in the US also.
If you can't get one, you need to know that they do patrol the handicapped parking areas and might give tickets for cars without a permit. We have on occasion forgotten our permit at home. When you check into your WDW hotel, you are given a resort parking slip that identifies which resort you are staying at, a code that tells who you are and for how long you are staying. We wrote a note on our WDW parking slip telling why we were parking without a handicapped permit and we did not get a ticket. That's no guarantee though.
You can also tell the parking lot CM that you need to park close because of a medical need, but don't have a permit. They save spots on the ends of rows near the entrance for that reason. If you are in the regular parking area, you can also take the trams which go from parking to park entrance.
I notice that you are staying at CBR. You may want to ride the bus, at least to MK. The bus stop at MK is right at the entrance into the park. If you drive, you have to ride a boat or monorail to get you to the point where the bus will let you off.
Epcot, AK, and the Studio also have a drop off area near the entrance where you could drop off part of your party and then park. I don't know if MK has one; we didn't see it.

SueM in MN
Co-Moderator of disABILITIES

I think we'll try dropping off and dh will park the car. DD can walk but the hike can make her so tired that it takes away from the day. Just today she had a hard time keeping up walking in the mall, and we were only there for a short while! Lots of breaks on benches! THANKS

SandraC
º0º
1975 - off site
1977 - off site
1987 - Indian Rock Shores
1990 - Holiday Inn International Drive/Daytona Beach
1998 - KIDS VILLAGE, GIVE KIDS THE WORLD, Make-a-Wish trip with 4.5 year old daughter born ill),
2001 APRIL - CBR - ON SITE FIRST TIME! YIPPY! With dd 7 years old, ds 15 months old!

Sandra, there is another option. We don't use the handicapped parking. We use the regular lot, but we park in the special reserved spaces at the end of the row, right next to the tram stop. It is a much, MUCH shorter walk to the tram and then to the gate from the tram stop than it is from the handicapped parking to the gate. Just tell the parking attendant that you need a space close to the tram stop for medical reasons (just say, "I have a special needs child"), they will be happy to help you.

teri.GIF
DIS disABILITIES Discussion Board FAQ under construction!
"My brain takes a vacation just to give my heart more room..."
teri@iluvdisney.com

teri said one of the same things I mentioned, but she said it in a way that probably made more sense. Those spots are a good option and the trams take you very close to the park gates. You actually end up walking less than if you parked in the handicapped parking area..

SueM in MN
Co-Moderator of disABILITIES

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter