Handicapped Buildings at Pop Century near parking lot

Susan Prescott

Cool Cruiser
Does anyone know which buildings at Disney's Pop Century are handicapped accessible and near the parking lot and food court? We will be staying there in February with a handicapped friend and need to make sure we are close to both the parking lot and food court. Thanks for your help.

Sue

Hi, Susan!

My understanding is that all of the buildings have elevators and are accessible. The individual handicapped rooms are spread throughout the entire resort. The closest building to the buses and food court is the 60's building, and this costs an extra $10.00 a night, although none of the other buildings are really far away.

Hope this helps!

or you can just request the building and then if you get it you might not pay for the preferred room rate if it is slower there.

just got back and want to tell you that pop century does not have enough parking!

the only time i was able to find a handicap spot was the day we checked in (1:00 p.m.).

every other time i tried to park (5 day/4 night visit), the lots were so full that it was awful.

i'm going to post the details about this as soon as i get a chance, but although the room was nice and new, i'll never stay there again if i'm using a car. especially if i'm w/o my DH.

dj

dj2, We are going to Pop Century in February & have requested the 50's Building A or B because we have to be near the parking lot due to all of Steve's medical equipment. Which building did you stay in & do you have any recommendations as to which building would be the easiest to get around & closest to both the Food Court & Parking? (Steve uses a very large power wheelchair with vent attached...we've never had any trouble parking @ All Star Sports). Thanks for any info. Cathie & The Gang

If you haven't already, you might want to call WDW Resort Special Reservations:
(407) 939-7807
(407) 939-7670 [TTY]
They are the ones who deal with special needs and should be able to answer all your questions too.

I was in room 1151, which was in one of the 50's buildings.

It was in building A, the closest 50's building to the parking lot/classic hall combined, although there may have been closer rooms to the parking lot in building B (which is much farther from the food court/check-in).

After having stayed at port orleans riverside last june, I guess i was very spoiled about having a parking spot very close to our room. in the alligator bayou part of POR, the rooms are fairly spread out and so there is lots of parking all around. there was a handicap spot about 20 feet from our door, which made things very easy.

at pop century, even the handicapped spots were much further. and, our room was not on the end of the building. just walking past 8-10 rooms seemed far. and there was then sidewalk to the parking lot and a double-sized lane where cars could drive before the parking spots began. the handicapped spots stretched out along one aisle, instead of being the first few spots of each aisle.

didn't matter, though, because they were always filled. (except when we first checked in at about 1 p.m.).

there was a well-worn short cut from one corner of the building leading right to the luggage service part of the check-in building, but it was covered in woodchips so it was difficult to use my rollator. I wish they would just pave it with brown concrete or something. Nobody would actually want to use the sidewalks and walk all around the building, but to use the ecv you'd have to.

There was a paved "driveway" for the resort's service carts that went sort of near our room and did a turn around loop which I walked on sometimes. It didn't let out near the handicapped spots (didn't matter because I wasn't parked there) but it did naturally have a cut out so I could roll into the parking lot easily.

i'm not sure if this is the kind of info you wanted--hope it helps you.

dj

Apparently there isn't enough parking at Pop Century to handle all the guests, let alone those needing disability parking. I also travel with a vent, feeding pump, and lots of batteries and equipment and need the ramped space to get in/out of my van in my chair. A friend stayed there recently and noted the lack of parking and the distance from all buildings from the lots. ---Kathy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter