Happy and Grumpy’s 1st Trip- Part 1: Prologue – The Doomed Trip

JuleeM13

Earning My Ears
Cast: Julee, 27 (AKA Happy) 1st trip to WDW. John, 29 (AKA Grumpy) 1st trip to WDW.

It wasn’t until earlier this year that I had the desire to go to Walt Disney World. When I was little my grandparents took my sister and I to Disneyland every year for our summer vacation. To me, that was where the real magic was. I guess I always thought of Disney World as a cheap imitation. I didn’t even really know much about it other than it was in Florida- a state I had no desire to visit (I’m not a summer or heat type person).

2 years ago I brought John to Disneyland for his first Disney trip and my first trip in 12 years. I LOVED every minute of it. It was like reliving my childhood! Unfortunately John didn’t feel the same way. He had fun, but it was definitely his less than ideal vacation. I guess after 4 days in Disneyland he got a little bored. He is definitely not the Disney freak that I am.

I wanted to take a vacation again this year and I knew that the chances were slim to none to get John to agree to go to Disneyland again. But I had that Disney bug, so I decided to swallow my pride and plan a trip to Disney World. Well, it took all of 10 minutes of reading about it to get me completely hooked. I had no idea how vast the WDW Resort is. It was Disneyland on steroids! Sure it may not hold the same childhood memories for me, but I could create new ones, right?

I began planning in late May and I decided I wanted to stay on property. I wanted to splurge a bit and make our vacation really special. I knew it was going to cost me, but I told John I would flip the bill for the trip. He just needed to bring some spending money. I worked out a budget and figured out how much I needed to save each month to have enough money for our November trip. I specifically picked November because if there are 2 things John and I hate it’s heat and crowds and November seemed to be the best time to avoid both of these evils.

John loves New Orleans so I chose to stay at Port Orleans and booked the room for 9 days, 8 nights. There was so much to do and I wanted to be sure we had enough time to do it all because I had no idea when I would go back. I didn’t tell John we would be going for that long until it came time to request the time off work. He didn’t seem to notice how many days it was. I never said to him “9 days”. I only said "Nov. 12-20th" and I don’t think he bothered to count.

I became planning obsessed. Every day I read every discussion board I could in addition to the 4 books I bought. At first I was driving John nuts with Disney this and Disney that. He expressed no interest in going let alone planning. I knew I had better let up before he decided not to go at all. I sat quietly and planned, planned, and re-planned for months.

Well, this is where things start going downhill. The budget I planned wasn’t going so well and after 2 month’s had passed I didn’t have even $1 saved for our vacation. I started to worry, so I began spending HOURS…I mean HOURS…a day on various rewards web sites trying to earn some cash. I figured at least I’d have something saved (In the end I ended up with $225, $10 Disney Dollars, a Rainforest Café gift certificate, and a Cheesecake Factory gift certificate that didn’t arrive in time).

So as I mentioned, things weren’t going well. Rather than to get into this all in detail, let me just outline what happened in the few months before my vacation:

September
Money saved $0.00
Grandmother develops Alzheimer’s disease and is going downhill fast
Quit my job
John agrees to go, but is expressing no interest

October
Money saved $0.00
Started new job
John looses job (I live with him so this puts a damper on the savings even more)
John still has no interest in going and tries to talk me out of it due to his above-mentioned lack of job

November
Money saved $150
John still has no job
John can’t wait for November to be over so I’ll shut up about Disney

Week of trip
REALLY bad time to leave work…very busy
Have no one to watch cats
After being together for almost 8 years John and I break up 2 days before we are supposed to leave. I’ll leave out the nasty details. We decided to go anyway since we are still friends.

Up until the day before I didn’t know if I was still going. But I managed to pull it off thanks to a little help from mom and a few debts that went unpaid for a month (hope the creditors aren’t reading this).

And that brings us to the day before our departure. If you’ve made it this far I congratulate you.

Stay tuned!

[This message was edited by JuleeM13 on 11-29-00 at 01:52 PM.]

You've got me hooked! I'm hoping it wasn't all bad, but the set up seems like a tough one to overcome! Keep posting and I'll keep reading!

mickey20.gif
1967, 1975 Disneyland
1977 - WDW Contemporary
1980 - WDW off-site Best Western?
1985 - WDW off-site condo/suite
1990 - Tokyo Disneyland
1995 - WDW; Marriott World Center
2000 - WDW; Holiday Inn Family Suites

You sound just like me. growing up in CA I had the honor of being at Disneyland every 6 weeks or so. The childhood memories are deep in my heart. I got a chance on a business trip to spend a day and 1/2 at WDW and boy was I impressed!!! I had no idea either. right then, I knew that is where our nwxt vacation would be.
My husband and son have never been and we are going to WDW in May. They are not thrilled at all, but I hope it is just because they do not know what to be thrilled about. Anyway this is your story and I sure hope it got better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter