Happy Birthday Walt at the Disney Family Museum TR

soniam

Wooden leg named Smith...
We went to a wedding in San Francisco in early December. As part of this trip, we visited the Walt Disney Family Museum.

DSC_0112_ptr.JPG

The Walt Disney Family Museum opened in an old building in the Presidio in 2009. The day we could go happened to be the day the museum was celebrating Walt Disney’s birthday. However, his birthday was actually the following day. They were letting people in free, and I had read lines could form. So, just like at WDW, we hit the museum at rope drop. There was already a line when we got there a little past 9:30am with a 10am opening. It wasn’t bad though.

DSC_0110_ptr.JPG

I took some pictures of the beautiful location to kill some time.

DSC_0120_ptr.JPG

I cannot express how great the museum was. Anyone who is even a mild fan of the man would fall in love with the museum. I felt like I was part of their family. After visiting, I understand why my grandpa admired Walt Disney so much. They are both of German ancestry, and Disney basically came from farmers and from nothing to accomplish an everlasting legacy. I think he gave hope to my grandpa, who was young during the Depression. The museum made me cry and laugh. I feel a bit teary as I type this and reminisce.

DH had to leave by 1pm to make it to the wedding rehearsal, since he was the best man. I decided to just stay at the museum. Best decision this month:) So, we hit the Dali & Disney exhibit first, since this was a temporary exhibit. It was discounted for his birthday, because it’s usually a separate fee. No pics, even without flash:( We have been to the Dali Museum in Figueres, Spain, and to his home in Port Lligat. I liked Dali’s art, but until we had visited his museum and home, I hadn’t really appreciated how extremely talented he was and how amazing his art is. They didn’t emphasize his relationship with Walt Disney in venues in Spain, but this exhibit was all about it. It was really interesting and exciting to see how alike they were. Their work together (yes, Dali worked at the Disney Studios for a time) would have been amazing, but it might just have been too far ahead of its time to become a reality. The exhibit also broadened my exposure to Disney as a man of the world, not just his cartoon empire.

DSC_0307_ptr.JPG

After the Dali exhibit, which is not too large, we headed to the permanent collection. Different parts of his life are exhibited in small galleries. The galleries not only contain written info, but there are displays, (many animated), audio, and some interactive displays. However, I would not recommend it for children. Adults and possibly teens would enjoy it, but it could be tedious and boring for many kids. It starts with his early years and goes up to and beyond his death.

DSC_0167_ptr.JPG
The Early Years (Childhood and Marceline)

DSC_0169_ptr.JPG
The War Years

DSC_0171_ptr.JPG
Hollywood

DSC_0175_ptr.JPG
Wall of Mickeys

DSC_0189_ptr.JPG
Saludos Amigos

DSC_0191_ptr.JPG
Cartoon Making during the War

These were really cool animated displays, like picture frames.

To Be Continued...

Continued...

DSC_0193_ptr.JPG
Funny War-time Posters

DSC_0200_ptr.JPG
The Movies

There was a cool thread showing different Disney films. It wrapped around the whole room. You could look up almost any info about any of the films or cartoons in this area.

In one of the rooms, an animator was drawing and explaining the process. It was neat. They added on to the back of the building with a glass wall. It had a beautiful view of the bay, Golden Gate Bridge, and Alcatraz.

DSC_0205_ptr.JPG
What a View!

The next room was my favorite. It had his train and a full model of Disneyland. Seeing the model made me a little sad, since it has been awhile since we have been to Disneyland. The bottom floor of the room had the refurbished Barker Bird from the Enchanted Tiki Room at Disneyland. It was so cool, and the Tiki Room is one of our favorite attractions.

DSC_0212_ptr.JPG
Carolwood Pacific Railroad

DSC_0221_ptr.JPG
Disneyland Model

DSC_0227_ptr.JPG
Amazing Detail

Makes my heart ache to return to Disneyland.

DSC_0136_ptr.JPG
DH Admiring the Model

DSC_0142_ptr.JPG
Last Picture of the Model (I promise)

DSC_0145_ptr.JPG
Wonderful Words to Live by

DSC_0238_ptr.JPG
Fantasia Sound Equipment

To Be Continued...

Continued...

DSC_0243_ptr.JPG
In the Tiki, Tiki, Tiki, Tiki, Tiki Room

The last rooms were dedicated to Disney’s death and the people who honored him. It was very sobering but ultimately happy. Some of this we just went through quickly at first and then had lunch there, since DH had to leave soon. After he left, I went all the way back through and spent a lot of time reading and looking at everything. The cafe had this wonderful Alice in Wonderland art. The area where we ate lunch had a beautiful terrazzo floor. In fact, there were multiple in the museum. We kept trying to figure out how it was done. You couldn't see the metal frames that they usually use when it's poured in place, and you couldn't see any grout lines from something that had been made offsite and put together like tiles.

DSC_0251_ptr.JPG

DSC_0257_ptr.JPG
Terrazzo Floor in Downstairs Seating Area

DSC_0217_ptr.JPG
Terrazzo Floor Reminiscent of 20,000 Leagues under the Sea

The seating area also had a ton of cool, old school Disneyland attraction posters.

DSC_0260_ptr.JPG
Love the Monorail

DSC_0261_ptr.JPG

DSC_0263_ptr.JPG

DSC_0265_ptr.JPG
A Family Favorite

DSC_0273_ptr.JPG

DSC_0278_ptr.JPG

To Be Continued...

Last edited:
Continued...

DSC_0284_ptr.JPG

DSC_0287_ptr.JPG
Love Rivers of America

DSC_0288_ptr.JPG

So glad I got to ride this as a kid at WDW.

There were also a couple of cool tile murals for It's a Small World. These were designed by Mary Blair.

DSC_0267_ptr.JPG

DSC_0271_ptr.JPG

There was a small, separate exhibit on the bottom floor of the museum dedicated to Walt’s vision of tomorrow. It’s small but neat and leads to the theater. Sometimes they show actual Disney cartoons, but with it being near the holidays, they were showing a Christmas special. It was a collection of clips from different Christmas specials, including the parade at Disneyland. They also showed a lot about the family and how they celebrated Christmas. It was very touching, especially since his daughter Diane narrated most of it. The titles and credits were overlaid on old Disney family Christmas cards that the studio had especially designed for the family. It was very worthwhile and just the icing on the cake of a great visit.

DSC_0164_ptr.JPG
Christmas Display inside the Theater

No visit would be complete without visiting the gift shop. Even if you don’t want to buy anything, they have one of the actual multi-plane cameras used by the studio. You can see it from above in one of the galleries, but the view from the gift shop is cool. I took a lot of pictures. I just love seeing gears, pulleys, levers, really any sort of equipment.

DSC_0180_ptr.JPG

DSC_0127_ptr.JPG

The gift shop also had a lot of cool stuff. I forgot to bring a hoodie with me to San Francisco and had only brought a heavy coat. They had a really cute hoodie that I got. I also got all of the Tiki Room charms, so that I could have a charm bracelet just with tiki birds.

DSC_2130_017.JPG
The Hoodie

DSC_2136_018.JPG
Tigger, Eeyore, Piglet, and Chernabog Charms

To Be Continued...

Last edited:

Continued...

More Charms

DSC_2139_019.JPG
Tiki Birds

DSC_2140_020.JPG
Totems and Drummers

I had some time to kill waiting for DH to come get me after his best man duties, so I took some more pictures with my new favorite toy:)

DSC_0309_ptr.JPG

DSC_0310_ptr.JPG

DSC_0313_ptr.JPG
What a Beautiful View for a Military Base!

DSC_0326_ptr.JPG
Beautiful Bay Sunset

I hope you enjoyed the trip report. Please feel free to ask me any questions you have about the museum. It was very well worth it, and I would love to visit again. Thanks for reading.

That's for the report! I really need to get there some day I've heard so many good things about it.

What a great report! When we went four years ago during a spring break trip to San Francisco, they did not allow us to take pictures anywhere inside the museum. I am glad to see they changed the policy. I could have spent a week there-LOL. We are planning a trip back to San Francisco this summer and now I can convince the family to go back so we can take pictures!

What a great report! When we went four years ago during a spring break trip to San Francisco, they did not allow us to take pictures anywhere inside the museum. I am glad to see they changed the policy. I could have spent a week there-LOL. We are planning a trip back to San Francisco this summer and now I can convince the family to go back so we can take pictures!

Thanks. I had an awesome time, especially since it gave me a great opportunity to play around with my new camera and lens. The museum was unexpectedly fabulous!

Thanks for the great TR and review of the museum! I didn't know that this existed in the Bay Area and we've visited family and friends there for years. We'll definitely put this on our list for next time!

Thank you for this! We are attending a wedding in the area over the summer, just maybe we'll get a chance to see the museum. I would do a number of illegal things to get an ink & paint hoodie like that. :earsboy:

This was a stunning report! The Presidio and the Palace of Fine Arts across the freeway were my most favorite spots to visit on our trip there. I didn't know about the Walt Disney Museum until our nighttime tour, but you better believe I will go there again just for that.

I really enjoyed your report. We are going to be in San Francisco in March and I was trying to find some recent information on the Museum. If you don't mind answering a few questions, I was wondering about tickets. Did you buy tickets ahead of time? Did your tickets have a specific entry time? Also, how much was parking? :thanks:

I really enjoyed your report. We are going to be in San Francisco in March and I was trying to find some recent information on the Museum. If you don't mind answering a few questions, I was wondering about tickets. Did you buy tickets ahead of time? Did your tickets have a specific entry time? Also, how much was parking? :thanks:

Since we went on Walt's birthday, entry to the main museum was free, and the Dali exhibit was $10. We couldn't buy tickets ahead of time because of that. However, I would buy them ahead of time. It looked like they had a specific entry time for both the main museum and a separate one for Dali, since that is a separate ticketed thing. Since we got there early, we got free street parking. However, there a good size lot just across from the museum. DH thought it was ~$7 for the whole day. It was definitely worth the visit, and I highly recommend going.

Great TR! I hear you with the crying and laughing. When I got to the last room about his death I pretty much lost it and had to give myself some time before I could leave. It was very emotional for me!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter