Hard Pass on Riviera Resort

SetonHall23

Earning My Ears
First time poster. My family and I spent the week at Disney, Kidani Village on rented points, with the intent to try the Skyliner, visit RR, and possibly purchase our first DVC contract. After my experience, we are now a firm “no” on Riviera:

1) My first issue is with the Skyliner. Our first trip on it was fine, a couple minor slow downs but no big issues. But when it came to disembarking at RR, it was clear Disney did not properly think this through. The Skyliner slows at RR - some people get off and some stay on. If no one has a stroller, this is easily done. However, in our case my wife and I had to try to maneuver our young one and her stroller around several people who were not getting off at RR, which resulted in some run over feet and me nearly falling upon exit. Disney seems to have over-engineered certain aspects of this gondola system without taking into account this type of situation which will likely occur numerous times every day.

That issue alone was not a deal breaker. Rather, on Thursday, December 19, we were taking the Skyliner from Epcot to HS when it broke down for 40 minutes, leaving the three of us trapped in the dark 30 feet over a roadway. There were several computer recorded “temporary delay” messages, before they gave up and told everyone they were turning it back on but that you had to disembark at RR.

What is troubling is that after this 40 minute delay we spoke with others who were trapped, and they (a) never heard the computer recorded messages we did, which suggests the emergency messaging system does not work on several of the gondolas, and (b) attempted to use the gondolas communication system to call out and the line was simply dead.

For a resort that will rely heavily on this unproven, and seemingly rushed new mode of transportation to differentiate it from something like a Disney Springs area resort, it’s hard to believe that Disney could have bungled the roll out of the Skyliner much more then they have already done. I will not pay $188+ per point to own at a resort where the only means of reliable transportation is a bus. Might as well buy an OKW 2057 contract and rent a car.

2) The resort itself is underwhelming. Admittedly, we did not view a room (we canceled our tour after the Skyliner experience), but in waking the grounds and the lobby area I felt like I was at a very nice Westin or a very average Ritz Carlton. A nice hotel for sure, but not a Disney Deluxe resort. When I think of Disney at its best, it’s the soaring lobbies of Wilderness Lodge, GF, Jambo, etc., that take you somewhere different yet utterly Disney. Even Kidani Village, with its much smaller lobby space, takes you away while feeling at home in the Disney bubble. At Riviera, I felt more like I was on a business trip then a vacation - a rather unremarkable very nice hotel. The outside of the building similarly lacks inspiration. While I commend Disney on the art work, especially the spectacular tile murals, it really just feels like they threw some Disney pixie dust on a Westin and are calling it a Disney Deluxe resort.

I really wanted to like this place and buy it, but between its so-so location, a dependence on a poorly planned transportation system that does not work consistently and which can leave you dangling over a major highway like us, and a design that lacks the level of Disney imagineering seen at numerous other resorts, it’s a hard pass for us. I hope Reflections offers something better, otherwise we may just do a resale contract on Copper Creek.

Why not just do a resale contract at AKL? It expires in 2057, and is themed so well! You could always do the 100 point direct add on down the road if you want the perks.

Riveria looks underwhelming to me as well from the videos and photos. It is pretty but doesn't seem to have anything special about it. We were there in October when some carts on the Skyliner hit each other, and the whole system was broken down with people on it for hours... As someone who isn't fond of heights, the prospect of being stuck on it for more than a couple of minutes freaks me out. It's fine if it's moving, but having it just sit high up in the air? No, thank you.

Why not just do a resale contract at AKL? It expires in 2057, and is themed so well! You could always do the 100 point direct add on down the road if you want the perks.

Riveria looks underwhelming to me as well from the videos and photos. It is pretty but doesn't seem to have anything special about it. We were there in October when some carts on the Skyliner hit each other, and the whole system was broken down with people on it for hours... As someone who isn't fond of heights, the prospect of being stuck on it for more than a couple of minutes freaks me out. It's fine if it's moving, but having it just sit high up in the air? No, thank you.

We liked Jambo a lot (Kidani was lovely but way too much walking for us) and would consider it but-for it being so reliant on busing. I think we would do resale at Copper Creek, Bay Lake, or GF if we go that route. And I agree about the Skyliner, I had high hopes but I think I will stay off it for a good 5 years as they figure it out.

This is one of the reasons why Disney have something for everyone. If you don’t like one resort look at another.

You certainly shouldn’t buy at a resort you dislike.

Since you like AKV that would be a great resort to buy at. The current prices are not that high compared to VGF or BLT but you do need to accept you need a bus to go anywhere.

otherwise look at BLT the buyin is reasonable and dues are on the low side compared to others.

Welcome!

Thank you for sharing your experiences and observations. I loved the comment quoted above re: business trip vs vacation. Succinct.

Thank you! And thanks to those suggestions above as well. I am beginning to think BLT is the right choice for us, worst case you can always walk to Magic Kingdom!

I agree with your assessment. We just viewed the resort from the skyliner, but were very unimpressed with the aesthetics of the resort. All the bright colors painted on the exterior and the large gold signage aren’t to our taste. We also didn’t like where it is located - literally steps from a very large moderate resort.

The jury is still out for us on Riviera. We booked a stay there for a couple nights next spring which we are looking forward to! We want to experience it first before passing to much judgement. After our stay we will make our decision if its worth it to add on there. At the end of the day not every DVC resort is for everyone which is great because there are so many to choose from that you surely can find one that fits you.

Building the RIV on a moderate resort was a gamble. They are running out of good locations. Reflections is being built at the old water park next to the campgrounds. What is next after that? BLT 2, tear down the garden wing at the contemporary and build a tower. There is a build able lot just north of BLT. It was originally supposed to be a monorail resort there.

Remember, Lyft is a cheap and easy way to get around property if you don’t love being dependent on buses. We didn’t find the buses bad at all when we stayed at AKV-but used Lyft a lot at BWV recently when we were headed to MK and AK-it was about $7 and seamless.

I own at BLT, If two of your significant qualifications for a resort are theme and an impressive lobby, BLT does not have either. The actual BLT lobby reminds me of a generic deluxe hotel. The rooms have minimal "theme". The location relies upon the proximity to the Contemporary (with its very expansive and impressive public spaces), the ability to walk to the MK (which is a HUGE plus), and the view of the MK from many rooms on one side of the building. For my wife and I, transportation (monorail and walking to MK) were more important than an impressive lobby, and we like the low key modern "hidden mickey" theme of BLT.

Remember, Lyft is a cheap and easy way to get around property if you don’t love being dependent on buses. We didn’t find the buses bad at all when we stayed at AKV-but used Lyft a lot at BWV recently when we were headed to MK and AK-it was about $7 and seamless.

yes we utilized Lyft and Minnie Vans. When available the Minnie Vans are great if you have small kids

I own at BLT, If two of your significant qualifications for a resort are theme and an impressive lobby, BLT does not have either. The actual BLT lobby reminds me of a generic deluxe hotel. The rooms have minimal "theme". The location relies upon the proximity to the Contemporary (with its very expansive and impressive public spaces), the ability to walk to the MK (which is a HUGE plus), and the view of the MK from many rooms on one side of the building. For my wife and I, transportation (monorail and walking to MK) were more important than an impressive lobby, and we like the low key modern "hidden mickey" theme of BLT.

yes we stayed at Contemporary before (Garden Wing) and love the ability to walk from BLT to Magic Kingdom as that is my wife and daughter’s preferred park (I am more of an Epcot guy)

I agree with your assessment. We just viewed the resort from the skyliner, but were very unimpressed with the aesthetics of the resort. All the bright colors painted on the exterior and the large gold signage aren’t to our taste. We also didn’t like where it is located - literally steps from a very large moderate resort.
Beach Club and Boardwalk are located right next to the Dolphin and Swan, a very large moderate. Personally I would rather look at Caribbean Beach than the large in your face buildings of the Dolphin and Swan.

Personally I consider being next to Caribbean Beach to be an advantage. It gives you access to an additional quick serve and sit down dinner option, plus you could pool hop over there easily. The wife and I consider Sebastian’s to be one of the best restaurants on property and a nice hidden secret of Caribbean beach.

Beach Club and Boardwalk are located right next to the Dolphin and Swan, a very large moderate. Personally I would rather look at Caribbean Beach than the large in your face buildings of the Dolphin and Swan.

Personally I consider being next to Caribbean Beach to be an advantage. It gives you access to an additional quick serve and sit down dinner option, plus you could pool hop over there easily. The wife and I consider Sebastian’s to be one of the best restaurants on property and a nice hidden secret of Caribbean beach.

Caribbean Beach is quite beautiful from the Skyliner as well, it’s just a weird mix of that and RR next to each other. But I guess same can be said for Poly and GF.

First time poster. My family and I spent the week at Disney, Kidani Village on rented points, with the intent to try the Skyliner, visit RR, and possibly purchase our first DVC contract. After my experience, we are now a firm “no” on Riviera:

1) My first issue is with the Skyliner. Our first trip on it was fine, a couple minor slow downs but no big issues. But when it came to disembarking at RR, it was clear Disney did not properly think this through. The Skyliner slows at RR - some people get off and some stay on. If no one has a stroller, this is easily done. However, in our case my wife and I had to try to maneuver our young one and her stroller around several people who were not getting off at RR, which resulted in some run over feet and me nearly falling upon exit. Disney seems to have over-engineered certain aspects of this gondola system without taking into account this type of situation which will likely occur numerous times every day.

That issue alone was not a deal breaker. Rather, on Thursday, December 19, we were taking the Skyliner from Epcot to HS when it broke down for 40 minutes, leaving the three of us trapped in the dark 30 feet over a roadway. There were several computer recorded “temporary delay” messages, before they gave up and told everyone they were turning it back on but that you had to disembark at RR.

What is troubling is that after this 40 minute delay we spoke with others who were trapped, and they (a) never heard the computer recorded messages we did, which suggests the emergency messaging system does not work on several of the gondolas, and (b) attempted to use the gondolas communication system to call out and the line was simply dead.

For a resort that will rely heavily on this unproven, and seemingly rushed new mode of transportation to differentiate it from something like a Disney Springs area resort, it’s hard to believe that Disney could have bungled the roll out of the Skyliner much more then they have already done. I will not pay $188+ per point to own at a resort where the only means of reliable transportation is a bus. Might as well buy an OKW 2057 contract and rent a car.

2) The resort itself is underwhelming. Admittedly, we did not view a room (we canceled our tour after the Skyliner experience), but in waking the grounds and the lobby area I felt like I was at a very nice Westin or a very average Ritz Carlton. A nice hotel for sure, but not a Disney Deluxe resort. When I think of Disney at its best, it’s the soaring lobbies of Wilderness Lodge, GF, Jambo, etc., that take you somewhere different yet utterly Disney. Even Kidani Village, with its much smaller lobby space, takes you away while feeling at home in the Disney bubble. At Riviera, I felt more like I was on a business trip then a vacation - a rather unremarkable very nice hotel. The outside of the building similarly lacks inspiration. While I commend Disney on the art work, especially the spectacular tile murals, it really just feels like they threw some Disney pixie dust on a Westin and are calling it a Disney Deluxe resort.

I really wanted to like this place and buy it, but between its so-so location, a dependence on a poorly planned transportation system that does not work consistently and which can leave you dangling over a major highway like us, and a design that lacks the level of Disney imagineering seen at numerous other resorts, it’s a hard pass for us. I hope Reflections offers something better, otherwise we may just do a resale contract on Copper Creek.

Thanks for sharing your experience with RR, we were thinking to add on points in that property but after looking at your review have a second thought. I did hear lot of good things in all the YouTube videos from famous bloggers I saw so far and it looked nice too. But definitely I think personally experiencing is way better than just relying on virtual viewing. I was kind of thinking about gondolas like you, we have 3 little ones and I don’t think that transportation is a good option, it’s more like a fun ride as some people were quoting it.

Since when are S&D moderates?!? Pricing, location and amenities say otherwise. Oh and the description on MDE 🙄

Thanks for sharing your experience with RR, we were thinking to add on points in that property but after looking at your review have a second thought. I did hear lot of good things in all the YouTube videos from famous bloggers I saw so far and it looked nice too. But definitely I think personally experiencing is way better than just relying on virtual viewing. I was kind of thinking about gondolas like you, we have 3 little ones and I don’t think that transportation is a good option, it’s more like a fun ride as some people were quoting it.
We were at wdw last week. We were apprehensive to add on. However after seeing the room in person and testing the skyliner (we had no issues) we added on. I’ve seen many videos and pictures online but seeing it in person helped us with our decision. Things break down. One can say the same for the monorails. We took both monorails and the skyliner and felt the skyliner was a better mode of transport and more efficient. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It’s best to see it in person and make your own judgement. We also own at ccv which is night and day theming. We love the skyliner and we tested it out knowing it can breakdown however riviera resort has its own dedicated buses as well and doesn’t share with other resorts. The mk resorts buses they share with another deluxe. We have two little ones and love the ease of traveling with the little ones on the skyliner than the monorail. We feel more cramped in the monorails.

We were at wdw last week. We were apprehensive to add on. However after seeing the room in person and testing the skyliner (we had no issues) we added on. I’ve seen many videos and pictures online but seeing it in person helped us with our decision. Things break down. One can say the same for the monorails. We took both monorails and the skyliner and felt the skyliner was a better mode of transport and more efficient. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It’s best to see it in person and make your own judgement. We also own at ccv which is night and day theming. We love the skyliner and we tested it out knowing it can breakdown however riviera resort has its own dedicated buses as well and doesn’t share with other resorts. The mk resorts buses they share with another deluxe. We have two little ones and love the ease of traveling with the little ones on the skyliner than the monorail. We feel more cramped in the monorails.

agreed and I hope it works out for you, I am rooting for the Skyliner to work!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter