Hard Pass on Riviera Resort

But, as I currently sit here, sipping wine in my beautiful Riveria 1br, I’m fighting the urge to just add on direct immediately.

If my DH had gone on the tour of the Grand Villa (he was approached in the RIV lobby the other day, and offered the tour even though he told the guide we already owned RIV points), I am pretty sure he would have said, we should buy more points. 😅

(He did ask how many nights our current RIV points would get in a GV. I said, "Not many," and we left it at that.)

Oh it is! I started at 180...11 years later, now proud owner of 825! Lol

I started at 185 3 years ago ... and now own 3 home resorts... you have shown more moderation than I have.

First time poster. My family and I spent the week at Disney, Kidani Village on rented points, with the intent to try the Skyliner, visit RR, and possibly purchase our first DVC contract. After my experience, we are now a firm “no” on Riviera:

1) My first issue is with the Skyliner. Our first trip on it was fine, a couple minor slow downs but no big issues. But when it came to disembarking at RR, it was clear Disney did not properly think this through. The Skyliner slows at RR - some people get off and some stay on. If no one has a stroller, this is easily done. However, in our case my wife and I had to try to maneuver our young one and her stroller around several people who were not getting off at RR, which resulted in some run over feet and me nearly falling upon exit. Disney seems to have over-engineered certain aspects of this gondola system without taking into account this type of situation which will likely occur numerous times every day.

That issue alone was not a deal breaker. Rather, on Thursday, December 19, we were taking the Skyliner from Epcot to HS when it broke down for 40 minutes, leaving the three of us trapped in the dark 30 feet over a roadway. There were several computer recorded “temporary delay” messages, before they gave up and told everyone they were turning it back on but that you had to disembark at RR.

What is troubling is that after this 40 minute delay we spoke with others who were trapped, and they (a) never heard the computer recorded messages we did, which suggests the emergency messaging system does not work on several of the gondolas, and (b) attempted to use the gondolas communication system to call out and the line was simply dead.

For a resort that will rely heavily on this unproven, and seemingly rushed new mode of transportation to differentiate it from something like a Disney Springs area resort, it’s hard to believe that Disney could have bungled the roll out of the Skyliner much more then they have already done. I will not pay $188+ per point to own at a resort where the only means of reliable transportation is a bus. Might as well buy an OKW 2057 contract and rent a car.

2) The resort itself is underwhelming. Admittedly, we did not view a room (we canceled our tour after the Skyliner experience), but in waking the grounds and the lobby area I felt like I was at a very nice Westin or a very average Ritz Carlton. A nice hotel for sure, but not a Disney Deluxe resort. When I think of Disney at its best, it’s the soaring lobbies of Wilderness Lodge, GF, Jambo, etc., that take you somewhere different yet utterly Disney. Even Kidani Village, with its much smaller lobby space, takes you away while feeling at home in the Disney bubble. At Riviera, I felt more like I was on a business trip then a vacation - a rather unremarkable very nice hotel. The outside of the building similarly lacks inspiration. While I commend Disney on the art work, especially the spectacular tile murals, it really just feels like they threw some Disney pixie dust on a Westin and are calling it a Disney Deluxe resort.

I really wanted to like this place and buy it, but between its so-so location, a dependence on a poorly planned transportation system that does not work consistently and which can leave you dangling over a major highway like us, and a design that lacks the level of Disney imagineering seen at numerous other resorts, it’s a hard pass for us. I hope Reflections offers something better, otherwise we may just do a resale contract on Copper Creek.
Well I have to eat my words. Following the pandemic, we knew we wanted to join DVC more than ever (despite the dwindling member benefits) because 2+ years away was too long. With the incentives that were available in December 2021, we decided to give Riviera a fresh look. Although it still lacks what we love most about many Disney Resorts (incredible theming), it made the most sense for us. Between the price point, years left on the contract, easy access to EPCOT and HS (my daughter’s two favorite parks), and the ability to get a Guaranteed Week (my wife’s company is shut down between Christmas and New Years every year), we took the leap and purchased our first DVC contract there.

So I have some crow to eat, considering I was the OP on this thread a couple years ago, but wanted to share. We had a visit in January 2022 on rented DVC points at BLT, and made it a point to take an evening to enjoy Riviera as new owners. We walked the grounds, ate at Toppolinos (caught a reservation the day before thanks to someone cancelling), and saw Harmonious from the restaurant. We feel much better about our decision having gone there again with fresh eyes (we also had a few mishap free trips on the Skyliner, which helped).

Because we received both 2021 and 2022 points with the December 2021 purchase, our Welcome Home trip will be in July 2022 at VGF (1 bedroom), and then we are back in December 2022 for our first stay at Riviera. Thanks everyone!

Well I have to eat my words. Following the pandemic, we knew we wanted to join DVC more than ever (despite the dwindling member benefits) because 2+ years away was too long. With the incentives that were available in December 2021, we decided to give Riviera a fresh look. Although it still lacks what we love most about many Disney Resorts (incredible theming), it made the most sense for us. Between the price point, years left on the contract, easy access to EPCOT and HS (my daughter’s two favorite parks), and the ability to get a Guaranteed Week (my wife’s company is shut down between Christmas and New Years every year), we took the leap and purchased our first DVC contract there.

So I have some crow to eat, considering I was the OP on this thread a couple years ago, but wanted to share. We had a visit in January 2022 on rented DVC points at BLT, and made it a point to take an evening to enjoy Riviera as new owners. We walked the grounds, ate at Toppolinos (caught a reservation the day before thanks to someone cancelling), and saw Harmonious from the restaurant. We feel much better about our decision having gone there again with fresh eyes (we also had a few mishap free trips on the Skyliner, which helped).

Because we received both 2021 and 2022 points with the December 2021 purchase, our Welcome Home trip will be in July 2022 at VGF (1 bedroom), and then we are back in December 2022 for our first stay at Riviera. Thanks everyone!

I started like you and ate crow too! It’s now my top resort! Stay there every trip as part of my split stay!!

Congratulations!!!

I agree with your original analysis lol but congrats on the new purchase.

Riviera is nice but the skyliner is not a good means of transport, especially at night we broke down my kids were far more terrified ( as we blew back and forth and couldnt see) than they were on tower of terror.

😂
Enjoy your 1 br. at one of my home resorts, did you get a fixed week in a 1 br @ Riv.?

😂
Enjoy your 1 br. at one of my home resorts, did you get a fixed week in a 1 br @ Riv.?
No that was too rich for our wallet, lol. We did a fixed week preferred studio - that was the only fixed week option they had left, as we wanted standard but they were all gone. Works out to 233 points.

No that was too rich for our wallet, lol. We did a fixed week preferred studio - that was the only fixed week option they had left, as we wanted standard but they were all gone. Works out to 233 points.
I love 1 br.s, haven’t stayed at Riv., but I assume they are as nice there as elsewhere & yes they are point hogs.

Welcome home! And thanks for letting us know how it all turned out.

I think it is a beautiful resort and we love Topolinos.
1. We will not stay there as the point total is just too high for the room.
2. Concerned about availability of the Skyliner in the morning to parks. As you are in the middle, do they hold cabins for you, or do you just wait and hope for an open one? Similar to the monorail and Grand Floridian.

I think it is a beautiful resort and we love Topolinos.
1. We will not stay there as the point total is just too high for the room.
2. Concerned about availability of the Skyliner in the morning to parks. As you are in the middle, do they hold cabins for you, or do you just wait and hope for an open one? Similar to the monorail and Grand Floridian.

I've been at Riviera in high crowds and low crowds. Morning skyliner is really never a significant issue (absent thunder storms). If you are rope dropping DHS during the height of "rush hour" then you may have a wait for a skyliner, but no worse than a typical bus wait. Never had a problem getting to Epcot at any time, always enough open cabins.

The only time I ever faced a bad back-up for the SKyliner -- Leaving Epcot after fireworks. At that time of day, it really is a nightmare. They really should officially offer alternative bus transportation to Riviera from the front of the park. But a tip -- my party got split up during massive 10/10 crowds after Harmonious. My wife and her friend ended up exiting the front of the park, asked a cast member where to go... They were pointed to 1 of the buses and simply told, "tell that bus driver to take you to Riviera" (may have been the DHS bus, I'm not sure).... It seemed to be a pretty regular occurrence.

I could see DHS having a similar issue when they bring back Fantasmic.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter