Hard Pass on Riviera Resort

Ok one thing I’ll admit - the skyliner kind of sucks today. We took it to park hop from HS to EP earlier this week, and “home” from EP last night, all without incident. But this morning it was down for about half an hour before they told everyone they were offloading passengers on the CBR-RIV-EP line with no idea when they’d be back up. We bused to HS. 😒 we missed our first FP for all the delays (fixed with a GET CM) but 3 hours later the CBR-RIV-EP line was still down or down again and so we waited almost half an hour for a bus back to RIV. Hopefully they get their kinks worked out (yesterday we waiting at Contemporary for a resort monorail so long that the CM ended up adding an any-park/Tier 2 FP to everyone waiting in line). The skyliner, when it’s running, is great. When it’s not running, buses are a bummer of a backup.

That said: I am noticing so many touches in the room and at the resort overall that RIV is probably our favorite resort now, even with the Skyliner issues. The room is a lot “smarter” than any others we’ve seen. USB ports in the rooms, plenty of outlets, and you can cast Disney+ and any other chrome enabled app onto the TVs. There’s great storage space throughout, and many small touches that are very convenient. For example, when you pull down the Queen Murphy aka Giant Bed of Death, there are shelves on both sides of the bed, as well as outlets and USB ports to make the bed feel like a real sleeping space. And the mattresses are comfortable. The artwork throughout the resort is lovely.

Skyliner was on its game today. (Also I realized that we could have taken the Skyliner to CBR and just walked back to RIV. Lesson learned for next time.) No waits whatsoever this morning, it took 8 minutes to go from Riviera to HS. (HS itself was a crowded hot mess, though.) Returning, there were some waits but the CMs were very efficient at loading and door to door it took about 15 minutes, including waiting to load at HS and CBR. Not bad, as we had a gondola to ourselves (4 people with a folded double stroller), so it was much more pleasant than the bus. Tonight going to MK was a bit of a mess too, but actual driving time was about 13-15 minutes. The waits for the bus were about that long as well. Boo. That said, having a dedicated bus means that even when it’s a long wait, everyone or almost everyone gets a seat.

tl, dr: transportation still has some kinks, but when the skyliner is running, it’s great. The buses are ok, but not preferred. (Also, it looks like there are always buses to HS and EP even when the Skyliner is running, but the walk from the buses to the parks is longer, and the EP bus drops off at the front of EP. Which, if you didn’t want to wait for an MK bus, I suppose you could monorail from there). The bus screens still don’t post expected arrival times of the next bus, which is a little frustrating.

Really wish the resale restriction didn't exist. I would have bought there most likely already.
Please share that feedback with your guide. Maybe if enough people express the same concern, they may rethink the resale restriction.

Please share that feedback with your guide. Maybe if enough people express the same concern, they may rethink the resale restriction.

Agree! It can only help if they understand how the restrictions are the reason their sales are off. Considering they rescinded the original 2019 points charts because members gave them so much feedback, no one should doubt the power of their phone call.

Another day of smooth Skyliner sailing. It takes 7-8 minutes to go from international gateway to riviera, and it’s a comfortable spacious ride (crowd levels are 10 across the board, MK closed this afternoon, and still no lines and we get a gondola to ourselves). There’s a bit of a wait to board at HS and CBR but the line still moves swiftly.

Agree! It can only help if they understand how the restrictions are the reason their sales are off. Considering they rescinded the original 2019 points charts because members gave them so much feedback, no one should doubt the power of their phone call.

It was the 2020 charts that were rescinded and in that case, the people who worked hard to get it fixed did so by questioning that what was being done was not legal,

The restrictions are built into the contracts for RIV so its not the same. Plus, I am not sure that the sales of RIV are that bad, and I am not sure DVC is viewing it the way some here to, especially given they are raising the price at end of January. Plus, they also built in language they can allow some members to pay a fee, so I can see them doing that first,

I have to say, I’d jump at a resale prices at $125/130 or less. This is a phenomenal resort and it’s now my family’s favorite resort. It would not be bad to be “stuck” here at all.

I have to say, I’d jump at a resale prices at $125/130 or less. This is a phenomenal resort and it’s now my family’s favorite resort. It would not be bad to be “stuck” here at all.

That is so exciting to hear and you are right, if someone owns other points to stay elsewhere, picking up a RIV contract for use only there could a good thing for someone who wants it just for there,

After walking the resort, I could see doing the same thing! Never thought I would

It was the 2020 charts that were rescinded and in that case, the people who worked hard to get it fixed did so by questioning that what was being done was not legal,

The restrictions are built into the contracts for RIV so its not the same. Plus, I am not sure that the sales of RIV are that bad, and I am not sure DVC is viewing it the way some here to, especially given they are raising the price at end of January. Plus, they also built in language they can allow some members to pay a fee, so I can see them doing that first,

Yes, you are right I mean 2020 charts. I agree it’s not the same at and raising prices probably means it’s selling well so it’s all moot. I do think Disney does listen as to why people aren’t buying or are unhappy. I’ve never actually thought they’d rescind the restrictions, but Pete saying it’s being talked about makes me think it’s never a bad idea to tell Disney what you think.
When we bought, I told our guide I would have bought weeks sooner if the restrictions hadn’t been holding me up. If it’s really how someone feels, I think it’s always a good idea to let Disney know. Better than when I just choose to whine about it here. 🤣

We’ve only been here one day, but we are also loving the resort. The 1br room layout is perfect. I think the rooms are superb.

The resort itself is also very well done. Great outdoor spaces. The pools are nice and the slide is a LOT more fun than it looks. I just might have done it 10x today.

The lobby setup is weird. And the stairs from the lobby down to outside are crazy narrow for all the traffic they have. And how is the carpet on those stairs already worn?!? But those are minor issues once checked in. The lobby gives a weird first impression though. It’s pretty chaotic at times and the traffic patterns get very weird.

The gift shop is also pretty weak. But Disney has plenty of gift shops, after all.

Favorite resort is obviously personal, but BLT will always be my favorite. That said, I strongly prefer Riviera to BWV. And riviera is tied in my mind with Beach Club. So that is a pretty positive review from me.

Oh, and the Skyliner rocks. I love the speed and ease of transportation. And it opens up really cool options that were previously hard to access (riviera to boardwalk entertainment, riviera to AoA food court...).

Overall, it’s a great resort. No complaints or regrets on our purchase from here.

Edit. One thing re: Skyliner. They really need it running before the parks open. Yesterday Skyliner started 60 mins after dhs opened. Today 30 minutes after. We wouldn’t have gotten a RotR boarding group this morning had we waited for the Skyliner to open. Hopefully this will change with time.

Last edited:
We were at WDW Sept-October and Dec 17-22. No problems with the Skyliner either trip, and it was impressive to us how it ran so efficiently and smoothly, and how pleasant it was to ride. The Riviera’s spacious, well-appointed rooms with balconies are some of the best on property, IMO, and the quick hop on the skyliner to Epcot & HS, dedicated busses and free parking for members were the main selling points for us with this resort. In all honesty, we dislike the drab exterior (except when it’s lit up at night), the small lobby with the ugly chandelier, and wish there were more to the grounds. Been back and forth about our purchase due to those resale restrictions, educated ourselves on EVERY aspect of resale vs direct, but ultimately decided that direct membership was what we personally want for our first 200 points. I hope they roll back the resale restrictions, but it’s doubtful. On the other side of that coin, I think the rental market will be very strong.

Last edited:

Agree. I'd buy at "fire sale prices" to stay there every couple of years. Will be interesting to see where resale prices settle. SOME amount of interest is going to keep the worst of the doom-and-gloom price predictions from coming to pass. (Though I wouldn't want to be the guy trying to sell a 500-point Riviera contract).

Agree. I'd buy at "fire sale prices" to stay there every couple of years. Will be interesting to see where resale prices settle. SOME amount of interest is going to keep the worst of the doom-and-gloom price predictions from coming to pass. (Though I wouldn't want to be the guy trying to sell a 500-point Riviera contract).

I am really interested to see what the newest one went for. Asking $175 but sold within a day. I can’t imagine less than $140? It came with 2019 points so if those were not needed and rented, it could bring cost down to about $122.

I wouldn't want to be the guy trying to sell a 500-point Riviera contract
That's an interesting point there I didn't think of before. The restrictions could widen the price gap between the smaller vs bigger contracts.

Every little bit helps. They seem to be selling but wondering how much faster they would be selling if they weren't restricted. Salespeople talk to managers when they hear the same objections.

They seem to be selling but wondering how much faster they would be selling if they weren't restricted.

You're assuming they aren't selling at Disney's expected pace but what if they are outpacing Disney's expectations. That's the only question.

I could be wrong but I don’t believe they are selling large contracts. My guide suggested I split my purchase into two 100 point contracts, to make it easier to resell or gift or split up later on down the road, if needed.

You're assuming they aren't selling at Disney's expected pace but what if they are outpacing Disney's expectations. That's the only question.

Exactly, Until Reflections is open for sales, they are in no rush to have it sell out. I get people don’t want it due to restrictions and if one can’t afford or simply doesn’t care to lose if they had to sell quickly, then it isn’t the right product for that person.

For me, it didn’t matter and owning there was more important than potential loss if I sold

That is so exciting to hear and you are right, if someone owns other points to stay elsewhere, picking up a RIV contract for use only there could a good thing for someone who wants it just for there,

After walking the resort, I could see doing the same thing! Never thought I would
You’re both on to my plan! Pick up a second contract resale (the cheaper, the better, honestly) and bank/borrow to have a dedicated Riviera stay every other year (resale contract) and a maybe Riviera/maybe another resort stay every other year (our direct contract).

But, as I currently sit here, sipping wine in my beautiful Riveria 1br, I’m fighting the urge to just add on direct immediately. Addonitis is real!

You’re both on to my plan! Pick up a second contract resale (the cheaper, the better, honestly) and bank/borrow to have a dedicated Riviera stay every other year (resale contract) and a maybe Riviera/maybe another resort stay every other year (our direct contract).

But, as I currently sit here, sipping wine in my beautiful Riveria 1br, I’m fighting the urge to just add on direct immediately. Addonitis is real!

You know you want to so have another glass of wine then hit the submit bid button. :stir:

Oh it is! I started at 180...11 years later, now proud owner of 825! Lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter