Harnesses/Leash for 7 year olds?

Just let it go! Have you had close relationships with young preteen/teen brothers or close friends? I raised two sons and that is the way they are affectionate with each other and communicate, much different with girls, and yes, I had a dd also. They aren't 'fist hitting', more of bumping and shoving. It's totally normal.
Boy are so different the girl are When I was in college I watched 4 kids two boy and two girls. I can not tell you how many times while watching tv without any warning the boys were wrestling on the floor then as soon as it started they were done. They never did it to hurt each other it was all fun to them

You are right boys ( most boys )are just different In some ways

You've gotten some great advice, so hopefully you will have a fun trip. When traveling with my daughter, I always had a bracelet with my number on it in case we got separated and I always updated a picture in the morning. It's become 2nd nature when we travel, even now that she's a teen.

As for comments, people will say things for every little perceived reason. You can do your best to try and not let it spoil your trip. As my daughter has said to bullies, you have your thought, now move on.

Do what's best for you and your kids, but be mindful of others as well. I don't think it's anyone else's business as long at you aren't stretching it across a walkway and posing a hazard to others.

If you put them in a stroller you'll get judged, if you put them on a harness you'll get judged. Do what's best for your family.

I agree that nobody really cares and are generally judge free at WDW. You have a wide variety of people and you are so busy having fun who has time to judge, and if they do, phewy on them!!!

Hi guys,
Our holiday week is fast approaching! We fly out next week for our disney world trip! Everyone’s really excited but im still a little nervous about the harneses.
We’ve been using them very regularly with both DD7 and DS7 for the past few weeks. They know now that the reins are automatically if we are going anywhere really busy like the shopping centre or centre of town and otherwise its a one strike and they come out the handbag situation. Generally found that they have been needed, I feel we are much less vulnerable in crowds and crossing roads etc now when they have their harnesses on. They do get slightly embarrassed about wearing them from time to time, and i always give them the opportunity to remove them if they start to behave again (not in really busy places though). I can understand why they wouldn’t like them but they currently seem to need them?
Not quite sure how far to go with the harnesses next week? Can see them being useful in the airport and during park days but they asked last night whether theyd have to weat them in the village in the evening? We’ve got chest harnesses for both twins, and we have a wrist rein too which we may use with the older one.
Anyone got any advice or tips for dealing with the harnesses during our stay?

I think you should be consistent - use them in large, open, busy places. Not sure what you mean by "the village" but if you do mean Disney Springs, I think that is the most important place to use them! It doesn't really have boundaries there, and there's lots of access to the streets running next to the shopping areas, etc.

Use whichever tool will allow you and your family to have the best possible time. I was a tether kid, as was my high-energy brother. The tether allowed us to feel "free" while not getting lost.

Have a great trip!

Enjoy your trip. So exciting!

About the tether- A person who gives you a sideways look may have never seen it before. Maybe the next time it won't be so novel and they won't give it a second thought. If anybody does stare just think you are taking one for the team, and those who feel the need to let their unsolicited opinion be known don't really deserve a response beyond 'smile & ignore' :D

In my early 20s I remember seeing kids on 'leashes' at the mall and silently giggled to myself inside. Once we had our toddler and were going to WDW, I ran right out and bought that leash I had internally giggled about. Guess I was more mature at that point?

I'd look because I'd see a child with an issue and see a parent dealing with that issue safely. I'd want to give that parent a smile, and even say something kind and encouraging. If a child is developmentally unable to stay safe, but is developmentally high enough physically to get away/run away from a parent, then that parent has a tough job at the moment. Why would anyone want to be anything less than encouraging and kind? If someone can't be kind, then that person must have something horrible going on in his or her own life. I feel sorry for them!

Hi guys,
Our holiday week is fast approaching! We fly out next week for our disney world trip! Everyone’s really excited but im still a little nervous about the harneses.
We’ve been using them very regularly with both DD7 and DS7 for the past few weeks. They know now that the reins are automatically if we are going anywhere really busy like the shopping centre or centre of town and otherwise its a one strike and they come out the handbag situation. Generally found that they have been needed, I feel we are much less vulnerable in crowds and crossing roads etc now when they have their harnesses on. They do get slightly embarrassed about wearing them from time to time, and i always give them the opportunity to remove them if they start to behave again (not in really busy places though). I can understand why they wouldn’t like them but they currently seem to need them?
Not quite sure how far to go with the harnesses next week? Can see them being useful in the airport and during park days but they asked last night whether theyd have to weat them in the village in the evening? We’ve got chest harnesses for both twins, and we have a wrist rein too which we may use with the older one.
one thing to remember with your "reins" watch that you do not trip someone using a cane or other device walking near you. you will need to keep it very short. I would be in big trouble if it would knock my cane out from under me as in falling on you or your child. not saying you shouldn't use just be aware of others needs also

I'd look because I'd see a child with an issue and see a parent dealing with that issue safely. I'd want to give that parent a smile, and even say something kind and encouraging. If a child is developmentally unable to stay safe, but is developmentally high enough physically to get away/run away from a parent, then that parent has a tough job at the moment. Why would anyone want to be anything less than encouraging and kind? If someone can't be kind, then that person must have something horrible going on in his or her own life. I feel sorry for them!
This is exactly my response. I don’t have kids, but I have a nephew on the spectrum, and I am so full of admiration for how his parents have balanced the need to protect and the need for freedom. Even before that I have always been supportive of what any parent needed to do to keep their kids safe. Then create a situation the size and scale of Disney and you do what you need to.

You may see me looking at your kid, but that’s because I’m considering how great it is that you’re working with them to give them the best experience, no matter what.

You do you. You’ve done a great job acclimatising them. I hope you have an awesome trip :)

one thing to remember with your "reins" watch that you do not trip someone using a cane or other device walking near you. you will need to keep it very short. I would be in big trouble if it would knock my cane out from under me as in falling on you or your child. not saying you shouldn't use just be aware of others needs also

I've seen something similar happen when the stretchy tether cords were popular. Child got knocked down because the parent let the child stretch the cord out and someone didn't see it and walked into it. I haven't seen that style anywhere in a long time though!

We tried out the harnesses today. The harneses i had already bought were the chest reins type with buckles to tighten the straps to the child’s chest with a lead attached to the back. Someone told me these were the most babyish of the harnesses available but the backpack ones looked very easy for either of the twins to get out of.

We went to the a shopping centre today, and told both DD and DS that we would be trying their harnesses out. They were put on after we got out of the car and came off as we returned to the car. DD made quite a fuss and it was quite a hassle to get the reins on her. Both whined a fair bit at first but got used to them after an hour or so. They both enjoyed not having to hold hands actually! The harnesses proved useful a couple of times when they tried to run in the direction of shiny toy display etc.
Wore them for about 3 hours in all and would probably say it was a success. Did get a couple of nasty comments about why 7 year olds were in reins 😡, and tbh they have bothered me a bit.
I was full of opinions before I had my kid. Forgive them, for they know not what they do.

I've seen something similar happen when the stretchy tether cords were popular. Child got knocked down because the parent let the child stretch the cord out and someone didn't see it and walked into it. I haven't seen that style anywhere in a long time though!
I have had it happen with the backpack type also where child cut if front of me without room for parent causing both of us to fall with me landing on child. granted not at Disney but can see it happening there also

We used one with our 5 year old, i chose a monkey backpack style, we had some nasty things said but we just moved on i dont have time for that.

Hi guys,

Harnesses aren't very comfortable on my rides. The buckle or leash usually connects at the back, and it pokes, especially for kids that might have slightly low tone and light weight that lets them get tossed around more than grownups. You might think about taking them on and off vs leaving them on all the time. Even without being on a ride, the harness is going to rub over time and get annoying. We found that firm back/chest rubs helped with the sensory stimulation.

I'd try as much as possible to have one adult watching each kid on a leash. I found it required at least as much watching as having a kid walking free, but it made everyone less grumpy. I watch for behaviors I want (so I can reward) and behaviors I didn't want (so I can redirect and/or refocus).

I habitually sportscast for my kid, and reinforce a positive perspective. "You don't like the harness. I agree, it's annoying. But we're still learning to walk together. Can you hold my hand? That helps us learn to walk together." "Oh! Do you want to see the tree? We can only go look at the tree if you squeeze my hand and ask with polite words. Do you want to try that?" "I'm so glad we had the leash, so I knew to help you with asking."

I tried to mix in handholding and freedom in reasonable locations (lines, play areas and quiet nooks). It gave everyone a much-needed break. We were generally harness free at the resort, but used the harness in the food court and shops. I didn't harness on transportation either. Your kids are going to be different than mine, so use your best judgement. You don't have to have the same rules all the way through your trip.

Have a great trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter