Has anyone been to Washington dc

tinkerbellandeeyor

DIS Veteran
Has anyone been to Washington DC post 9/11 I have always wanted to go I was all set to go I was going to go back in 2001 then 9/11 happend my memory is a little fuzzy I had planes to leave Thursday or Friday and 9/11 happend that Tuesday so my question is

Is it worth visiting like it was before 9/11 happend I have no idea how or when I would go about it but the itch is back

There is a lot to see in DC, Tink. The Smithsonian, Holocaust Museum, the new Museum of African American History, the Library of Congress-not to mention all the monuments.There are trolley tours where you can get on and off at various places.
I would recommend a good guide book-one of my favorites are the ones put out by Dorling Kindersley-and find what interests you.

We went for a week last summer. Our kids were 7,7 and 4. Loved all of the free museums and if they were just tired of it we said ok and left. We weren't able to get a WH tour but did get a private capital tour. It was all great but we felt like we only hit a small portion of each museum. We're goi g back for another week next year! To us it felt a lot like a WDW vacation because it was just full days open to close going from one place to the next. It's really great!

I am a huge history buff and am fortunate we live about an hour away so we can go to DC once or twice a year plus some National Zoo visits and our yearly baseball game at Nationals Park. There are so many museums, monuments, and other attractions just around or near the National Mall. I think the National Museum of the American Indian has the best food court and is one of my favorites museums along with the Air and Space Museum and National Museum of American History. Most things are free but for some things should get tickets in advance. There is a spy museum close by that does charge. The Zoo itself is free but you pay for parking unless you are a member.

I was there in 2015 with DD's marching band. We spent about 4 days there and I loved it. Would like to go again. We visited the art, air and space, and natural history museums, took a tour of the war memorials, went on a capitol tour, and visited the National Archives. I enjoy walking and seeing things so we did a lot of that too. D's band marched in the National Cherry Festival parade so we spent our last day watching it before we headed home. We also made a day trip to Busch Gardens in Williamsburg. We had previously visited Arlington National Cemetery so didn't go to that. Some of the groups visited the zoo too. Our group stated in Arlington and just caught the metro into DC.

We've been to DC a ton of times and now our daughter goes to college there so we're there a few times a year.

There's so much to do and something for everyone.

We've been before 9/11 and then within a year after. There are definitely additional security measures but not much different than what's in place in cities around the country.

We go every few years usually tied in to going to a hockey or baseball game. We stay in Alexandria,VA and take the Metro in to DC. Yes there are added security measures & maybe some changes with certain tours but a lot of great things to see. If you have never been when you do go I suggest at least getting a one day bus tour ( especially with a hop on/ off option). We do that when going to places we are new to visiting. Sometimes even on following trips for convenience.

I didn't have time to look. Arrived at around 5 on the 4th, had a banquet, drank a lot of beer since I didn't have a car and my bicycle was at the hotel, took the subway to watch the fireworks, squeezed into the subway to get back to the hotel.

Next day was a lot of sitting around waiting for the idiots who took the trailer to haul the bicycles out 2 hours away over night and try to get back in rush hour for everyone to load up. We had 84 cyclists looking to get their bicycles back to Pittsburgh.

Ds went to college in DC - started his freshman year August 2002. Literally right after 9/11. Also the same time as the DC Sniper. Talk about nerve wracking!

However we loved going to DC. So much to see and do. Our favorites were the Smothsonian, Arlington, the Holocaust Museum and Fords Theater. We also did a tour of congress. I would go back in a heartbeat

I've lived in the DC area for a long time. I would say that everything pre-9/11 is pretty much the same, except that security got tighter and the crowds keep growing. If you decide to come, and it's going to be a once in a lifetime visit, I would suggest you think about coming during a less crowded time, and that no matter when you come, you plan ahead. You now have to get tickets in advance for many of the attractions you used to be able to just walk into without planning. Almost everything is free, but you may have to pay a small "convenience fee" to get some of those timed tickets.

I hope you decide to come. I still feel lucky to be able to visit all the tourist stuff, even after living here for so long. It's really worth seeing!

I've lived in the DC area for a long time. I would say that everything pre-9/11 is pretty much the same, except that security got tighter and the crowds keep growing. If you decide to come, and it's going to be a once in a lifetime visit, I would suggest you think about coming during a less crowded time, and that no matter when you come, you plan ahead. You now have to get tickets in advance for many of the attractions you used to be able to just walk into without planning. Almost everything is free, but you may have to pay a small "convenience fee" to get some of those timed tickets.

I hope you decide to come. I still feel lucky to be able to visit all the tourist stuff, even after living here for so long. It's really worth seeing!

Once I decide what I want to see how do i go about booking it

Why wouldn't it be still worth visiting?
I love D.C.! I live close enough by a couple of hours I wouldn't drive or fly to there.i take the train and stay for a few days.

Why wouldn't it be still worth visiting?
I love D.C.! I live close enough by a couple of hours I wouldn't drive or fly to there.i take the train and stay for a few days.

I would have to fly I don't drive even if I did the cost of hotels and gas from FL to DC would probably be just as much if not more then flying

And I was not sure if the tours have stopped post 9/11 or not stupid I know

I took my sister, her kids and my DD there 4 years ago. It was one of my sister's bucket list trips. I rented a scooter for her and we had a blast. We stayed in Silver Spring and took the metro into town each day and when we toured the Holocaust Museum, I used one of its push wheelchairs for her since it was crowded. She passed away 3 weeks later, just before her 39th birthday. It is a wonderful memory that we will have of her, and Washington, forever.

I love DC. We went this year and I can't wait to go back, I would live there if I could. We live in Tampa so TPA has cheap flights between here and there so I'd do that. The drive is miserable IMO. We didn't even use the car while we were there, mostly relying on the Metro and Lyft. The White House tour is pretty neat and the security process is long but the self guided tour is fun. My BF's brother lives in Silver Spring, MD so we stayed there for a night and took the train in but I preferred staying downtown near the mall. I would suggest staying near there, I found cheap hotels for $100/night that were really nice!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter