Has anyone done a private tour of Disney?

Ruca

Earning My Ears
My wife and i got engaged at Disney 5 years ago and we are thinking of celebrating this year with a Tour of Disney World. Maybe 1 day at MK with a Private Tour with a Cast member i've heard some good things thru other opticals but never met someone who's done it. Is it worth it, what did you think?

I have heard great things about this never done it my self if I could afford the $4,000+ to do it I would. I have done the thrills tour 2x and that was a lot of fun

Worth is subjective, of course. As gap2368, they run about $4,000+. We did one back when they were first introducing the service (this was pre-FP+) and it was pretty remarkable. Your tour guide basically acts as a human FP+. They can also secure prime viewing spots for shows, parades and fireworks. You will get your best bang for your buck if you park hop as they can get you into the FP+ lines for all the headliners and tier 1 rides. It just really depends on how you want to spend your money and your anniversary. If VIP touring is what you are after, they will certainly deliver!

We did a 'behind the scenes tour' several years ago but it wasn't anywhere near $4,000, I don't recall exactly but maybe $30-$40 per person. There was a group of perhaps 20 of us and the tour included a lot of areas of various parks that the general public never sees along with a lunch. You do have to be over 18 as some of the behind the scenes areas show characters without their heads or full costumes which can frighten some small children. Also makes sense since small children would probably be bored by the things adults found interesting during the tour. Don't know if they still offer that, but was very worthwhile and a different way to experience Disney. You might also call your credit card company since some offer unadvertised specials that are just part of having that particular type of credit card. Our behind the scenes tour was offered by American Express.

Some Epcot attractions used to offer small guided behind the scenes tours of their attraction for a nominal extra fee. Those are also very interesting, not sure if any are still offered.

We did a 'behind the scenes tour' several years ago but it wasn't anywhere near $4,000, I don't recall exactly but maybe $30-$40 per person. There was a group of perhaps 20 of us and the tour included a lot of areas of various parks that the general public never sees along with a lunch. You do have to be over 18 as some of the behind the scenes areas show characters without their heads or full costumes which can frighten some small children. Also makes sense since small children would probably be bored by the things adults found interesting during the tour. Don't know if they still offer that, but was very worthwhile and a different way to experience Disney. You might also call your credit card company since some offer unadvertised specials that are just part of having that particular type of credit card. Our behind the scenes tour was offered by American Express.

Some Epcot attractions used to offer small guided behind the scenes tours of their attraction for a nominal extra fee. Those are also very interesting, not sure if any are still offered.
What you're referring to sounds like Keys to the Kingdom or Backstage Magic (I'm not too familiar as I haven't done either). I think the OP is referring to something like this: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/events-tours/private-vip-tours/

^^ Yes, saw that on the Disney site. My comments related to our actual experience that the OP was asking for and if you are looking to spend less then $4,000 there USED to be other options. As I mentioned previously, don't recall exactly what ours was called.

^^ Yes, saw that on the Disney site. My comments related to our actual experience that the OP was asking for and if you are looking to spend less then $4,000 there USED to be other options. As I mentioned previously, don't recall exactly what ours was called.

WDW offers a number of group tours which are far less than $4,000 and are quite enjoyable! It all depends on what type of experience people are looking for. We've done the private VIP tour (just our family with a "plaid" CM which is the $4,000+ one people are referring to in this thread) and Wild Africa Trek which was a very small group and in the $225 per person range. Both incredibly enjoyable! WDW, thankfully, offers many tour experiences at different price points.

We’ve not done the VIP tours OP is talking about, but know people who have. Unlike the other tours being mentioned (which are great!), a VIP tour is fully customizable to precisely what you want to do, and obviously includes only your party. Depending on what one is looking for, that can be a huge difference.

I just did my first, and maybe only for quite a while, Private VIP tour at the beginning of this month. We had 9 people in our group, and I thought it was more than worth it. By no means do I even remotely consider us wealthy; this clearly a splurge for us. I had originally planned to do one of the specific, not-so-spontaneous, tours; but with 9 people, and for a little bit more, the private VIP tour allowed us to have ultimate flexibility.

While I have heard people do multiple days, with multiple guides at times, we had our guide for 8 hours for only one day, in the middle of our 7 day trip. I was worried that we wouldn't get much done, but we were able to hit all 4 parks. The convenience of having a private vehicle driving us between the parks, and parking backstage very close to attractions, definitely helped. Not having to deal with buses, security and walking in the humidity was a luxury.

We were provided with light snacks and water twice during the experience. If you do decide to partake in getting food with your guide, they get Disney to pay for their meals (basically getting paid to eat churros should be a life goal).

We're originally from California and prioritized attractions that were unique to Walt Disney World, or drastically different from their California counterparts. Our cast member had a fun personality that made her feel like she was a member of our family. My group was made up of adult cousins and it never felt awkward having a stranger lead us around as we quickly warmed up to our guide. Our guide sprinkled in fun tidbits of information here and there about attractions, the resort, and her career at Disney. It was engaging, and never seemed "formal". Bonds were made that day.

The only relatively long waits we had, despite having Fastpass access, were for Buzz Lightyear at the end of the day (we originally had no intention to do it, but had time), and Alien Swirling Saucers (there was only one side running). Even then, being engaged by our guide in those queues made us forget about the wait.

If you want an idea of what we did, here's what we accomplished in 8 hours (we went at a steady pace when we did walk, never felt rushed... seemed like we were walking a bit slower than other guests around us):
-We were picked up at Jambo House at noon, after a filling breakfast at Boma...a great way to start off the day so you don't waste time (and money) eating at a table service restaurant with your guide. This allowed us to focus on attractions.
ANIMAL KINGDOM
-Na'vi River Journey
-Flight of Passage
-Expedition Everest
EPCOT
-Test Track
-Frozen Ever After
HOLLYWOOD STUDIOS
-Slinky Dog Dash
-Alien Swirling Saucers
-Tower of Terror
-Rock 'n' Roller Coaster
-Churro Break
-Apparent almost run in with a celebrity backstage.
MAGIC KINGDOM
-Thunder Mountain
-Splash Mountain
-Seven Dwarves Mine Train
-Space Mountain
-Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters
-Snack Break at Auntie Gravity's in Tomorrowland
-Reserved viewing of Happily Ever After
-Guide understandably left us for 10 minutes to practically save a life by attending to a guest having a medical emergency shortly after the fireworks. SHE WAS AMAZING!
-Had a drive back to our resort, Bay Lake Tower.

The cost was $4000. Some of the more non-customizable tours range about $250 to $300. With the attractions we went on, we would have had to do a combination of multiple tours to get the same done, and still miss out on a few. I felt it worth was worth it overall, of course with our party of 9. Perhaps with a smaller party of 2-4 it may be even more a splurge. You may have different priorities, but the flexibility allows for it, and you may have a different sense of value. A lot can be done if you focus on Fastpass+ attractions. Non-Fastpass+ attractions may slow you down. Like others say, your mileage may vary.

Wow, that would be awesome!! I might have to start saving now for this at some point in the future!

I was just there last week, and I feel like I saw more private tours than I ever have before! It was kind of weird, I saw multiple tours a day. I've been to Disney many times over the past 10 years, at least once every year, sometimes more than once. But thinking about it, I've really only ever been one other time in August - so maybe the heat, and the appeal of the "automatic FP" and the other amenities you mentioned, make people use it more in the heat of the summer? Hmm, not sure! It was interesting to me though!

This is something I would love to do!

Now that Disney has an affiliation with Chase Visa I think all other connections are eliminated.

They've even dropped the age on Backstage Magic now. It's 13. And yes, you still go in the utilidors and central costuming and see characters without their heads or full costumes

I just did my first, and maybe only for quite a while, Private VIP tour at the beginning of this month. We had 9 people in our group, and I thought it was more than worth it. By no means do I even remotely consider us wealthy; this clearly a splurge for us. I had originally planned to do one of the specific, not-so-spontaneous, tours; but with 9 people, and for a little bit more, the private VIP tour allowed us to have ultimate flexibility.

While I have heard people do multiple days, with multiple guides at times, we had our guide for 8 hours for only one day, in the middle of our 7 day trip. I was worried that we wouldn't get much done, but we were able to hit all 4 parks. The convenience of having a private vehicle driving us between the parks, and parking backstage very close to attractions, definitely helped. Not having to deal with buses, security and walking in the humidity was a luxury.

We were provided with light snacks and water twice during the experience. If you do decide to partake in getting food with your guide, they get Disney to pay for their meals (basically getting paid to eat churros should be a life goal).

We're originally from California and prioritized attractions that were unique to Walt Disney World, or drastically different from their California counterparts. Our cast member had a fun personality that made her feel like she was a member of our family. My group was made up of adult cousins and it never felt awkward having a stranger lead us around as we quickly warmed up to our guide. Our guide sprinkled in fun tidbits of information here and there about attractions, the resort, and her career at Disney. It was engaging, and never seemed "formal". Bonds were made that day.

The only relatively long waits we had, despite having Fastpass access, were for Buzz Lightyear at the end of the day (we originally had no intention to do it, but had time), and Alien Swirling Saucers (there was only one side running). Even then, being engaged by our guide in those queues made us forget about the wait.

If you want an idea of what we did, here's what we accomplished in 8 hours (we went at a steady pace when we did walk, never felt rushed... seemed like we were walking a bit slower than other guests around us):
-We were picked up at Jambo House at noon, after a filling breakfast at Boma...a great way to start off the day so you don't waste time (and money) eating at a table service restaurant with your guide. This allowed us to focus on attractions.
ANIMAL KINGDOM
-Na'vi River Journey
-Flight of Passage
-Expedition Everest
EPCOT
-Test Track
-Frozen Ever After
HOLLYWOOD STUDIOS
-Slinky Dog Dash
-Alien Swirling Saucers
-Tower of Terror
-Rock 'n' Roller Coaster
-Churro Break
-Apparent almost run in with a celebrity backstage.
MAGIC KINGDOM
-Thunder Mountain
-Splash Mountain
-Seven Dwarves Mine Train
-Space Mountain
-Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters
-Snack Break at Auntie Gravity's in Tomorrowland
-Reserved viewing of Happily Ever After
-Guide understandably left us for 10 minutes to practically save a life by attending to a guest having a medical emergency shortly after the fireworks. SHE WAS AMAZING!
-Had a drive back to our resort, Bay Lake Tower.

The cost was $4000. Some of the more non-customizable tours range about $250 to $300. With the attractions we went on, we would have had to do a combination of multiple tours to get the same done, and still miss out on a few. I felt it worth was worth it overall, of course with our party of 9. Perhaps with a smaller party of 2-4 it may be even more a splurge. You may have different priorities, but the flexibility allows for it, and you may have a different sense of value. A lot can be done if you focus on Fastpass+ attractions. Non-Fastpass+ attractions may slow you down. Like others say, your mileage may vary.
Thanks for sharing such a detailed account! Any chance you could post which attractions essentially have that ability to pull in backstage and ride, vs. using the FP line?

Thanks for sharing such a detailed account! Any chance you could post which attractions essentially have that ability to pull in backstage and ride, vs. using the FP line?
They all utilize the FP line. They just park the vehicle that drives you between/around parks backstage at locations that are just offstage, but close to the onstage entrance of attractions. Your cast member is really an unlimited Fastpass for the length of your tour.

They all utilize the FP line. They just park the vehicle that drives you between/around parks backstage at locations that are just offstage, but close to the onstage entrance of attractions. Your cast member is really an unlimited Fastpass for the length of your tour.
Got it -- thanks!!

I would like to book a private tour and have 2 people in my party. Is there a way to connect with other small groups and share the cost of the tour?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter