Has anyone ever contacted CAA to help with a flight delay claim?

1andrea

DIS Veteran
I was wondering if anyone has ever contacted the Civil Aviation Authority to claim for a delayed flight?

American Airlines refused our claim relation to a long flight delay so we have contact CAA who agree with us and have contacted American Airlines to recommend that they pay us compensation.

However American Airlines are still refusing. Apparantly CAA can only recommend and cant enforce, so I was wondering if anyone else has been in a similar situation?

Thanks Andrea xx

I think the CAA only govern UK Flights/airlines based in UK.

I'm not sure if there is a US equivalent?

why was your flight delayed? was it AA's fault?
also, which direction was the delay? - on the way to the US? or on the way back to the UK?

why was your flight delayed? was it AA's fault?
also, which direction was the delay? - on the way to the US? or on the way back to the UK?

We were delayed flying from Manchester on our outbound leg so we thought we'd be covered under EU guidelines.

When we arrive to check in the agent advised us the delay was due to scheduled maintainence and told us to collect a compensation leaflet of how to claim from the checkin desk which we did.

When we contacted AA the delay turned into Air Traffic Control so they said we are not eligible.

We contacted the CAA who said we are and AA are saying that our Aircrafts departure delayed due to air traffic on the way to the UK, which resulted in a consequential delay for our aircraft and are still refusing to pay us despite the CAA advising them to pay us.

The CAA can't force airlines to pay so we are now sort of stuck xx

i was reading the EU guidelines just now, and the way they're written it sounds like it's not blanket compensation, but rather reimbursement of expenses that were incurred as a result of the delay.
It tells passengers to hold onto their receipts so that they can be compensated.
but they will only be compensated for reasonable expenses and only up to the maximum amount based on the length of the flight.

So it sounds like you get compensation for expenses, but not beyond that.
At least regarding the EU guidelines, which it seems are what the UK guidelines fall under (since there is a reference to brexit and a question as to what will happen once the UK is out of the EU).

Yes, exactly the same years ago with Delta. In the end I just sued them, they paid up after instructing lawyers. CAA have no teeth. Issue proceedings.
You are entitled to delayed flight compensation as the flight was on the outbound leg from the uk.

Yes, exactly the same years ago with Delta. In the end I just sued them, they paid up after instructing lawyers. CAA have no teeth. Issue proceedings.
You are entitled to delayed flight compensation as the flight was on the outbound leg from the uk.

Thanks for replying, it's good to know that someone has had success in a similar position. Did you go through the small claims court initially or straight through a solicitor? x

Thanks for replying, it's good to know that someone has had success in a similar position. Did you go through the small claims court initially or straight through a solicitor? x
I am solicitor.
Just issue proceedings in small claims, there are sample Particulars of Claim on the web- I think Martin Lewis has some on. Quote the CAA's decision in there as well.
Good luck.

I am solicitor.
Just issue proceedings in small claims, there are sample Particulars of Claim on the web- I think Martin Lewis has some on. Quote the CAA's decision in there as well.
Good luck.

My partner has contacted a company called Resolver if that doesnt work it will be the small claims court, I have to admit the fee does put me off as American Airlines are going to do all they can to wriggle out of paying us xx

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts