Has anyone ever rented points to stay?

catzle

DIS Veteran
We are booked through Costco but when I look at renting points it could save us about $1500.

But how does this all work?

Trustworthy?

Car Rental and parking etc.?

Any other perks?

Anything else you can tell me?

We have rented points twice and had no problems at all.

We used what is called on these boards as Davids but it is actually called DVCrequest https://www.dvcrequest.com/

I must admit, the first time I was a little nervous just because we had never done it before but it works out amazing.

We went last summer. I had reserved a package through Disney as my backup because you can cancel within a certain time period without penalty. There were some great room discount rates and even a resort credit that was offered which made it very competitive to purchase direct from Disney( it was still more but not much and I kind of wanted the two hotel room queen beds vs the 1 bed and pullout in a studio). Once we factored in the cost of parking the car over the time we were there it ended up being a much better deal to rent points. As you said in your original post, the parking is included for guests renting DVC)

There is some risk involved though. Davids works as a middle man. You tell them when you want to go and what type of room category. They find a DVC owner who wants to rent out their points. Davids then matches you up BUT ultimately you are renting from the person who owns the points, not Davids. If this person defaults to DVC on their dues or payments, you could be out a room. But I know that Davids screens the people they deal with and they have many clients who have rented out their points before.

There is an area of the Disboards where people do one on one renting and it is usually a bit cheaper than Davids-I have never done that so someone else might be able to comment on that

We did and it was a breeze. Lindsay from DVC Rental Store was awesome. We had a gorgeous room in mid-Ewa Tower, top floor, straight on ocean view. We were upgraded at check in so a lovely surprise.

We rented from DVC Rental Store and had no problems. Parking is included and it definitely saved us money. I was a little nervous that we would arrive and there would be no reservation, but being able to see it on the Aulani online system and having the emergency contact # for DVC Rental Store made me feel better. We ended up buying our own points, after the experience.

We have rented points twice and had no problems at all.

We used what is called on these boards as Davids but it is actually called DVCrequest https://www.dvcrequest.com/

I must admit, the first time I was a little nervous just because we had never done it before but it works out amazing.

We went last summer. I had reserved a package through Disney as my backup because you can cancel within a certain time period without penalty. There were some great room discount rates and even a resort credit that was offered which made it very competitive to purchase direct from Disney( it was still more but not much and I kind of wanted the two hotel room queen beds vs the 1 bed and pullout in a studio). Once we factored in the cost of parking the car over the time we were there it ended up being a much better deal to rent points. As you said in your original post, the parking is included for guests renting DVC)

There is some risk involved though. Davids works as a middle man. You tell them when you want to go and what type of room category. They find a DVC owner who wants to rent out their points. Davids then matches you up BUT ultimately you are renting from the person who owns the points, not Davids. If this person defaults to DVC on their dues or payments, you could be out a room. But I know that Davids screens the people they deal with and they have many clients who have rented out their points before.

There is an area of the Disboards where people do one on one renting and it is usually a bit cheaper than Davids-I have never done that so someone else might be able to comment on that

I always wondered about this--thanks for sharing the great info!

We rent DVC points for our WDW stays all the time, and did the same for our Aulani stay last September. The brokers are the most reliable for someone not familiar with the process, but since we are, we worked directly with an owner who I found here on the Rent/Trade DVC board on DisBoards. Owners will post what they have available and you can message them. I linked up with an owner who frequently rents out her points, and even had a contract for me to sign. The benefit of going directly with an owner is that its usually cheaper than a broker, since there is no middle man, and you can often find an owner that has payment terms that may better suit you. The owner we worked with required 50% at time of booking and the remaining 50% 30 days before traveling. We booked at 10 months out, so this worked well for us. Most brokers require full payment at time of booking.

As mentioned, anyone staying on points gets free parking. Whether you're renting or you own. No other perks that we found. The DVC owner will need to phone in any room requests you may have so its noted on the reservation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!